An Unexpected Treat

Old March 7th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

Default An Unexpected Treat

Happened to fall across a Heritage Flight training session the other day
while in the vicinity of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/aviation_imagery

First four pics across the top of the gallery...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old March 7th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

Happened to fall across a Heritage Flight training session the other
day while in the vicinity of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ:

Nice - even though I could never get the larger version of Pic1 to show
(always came up blank for me).

Did you plan to get all belly shots?

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old March 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Happened to fall across a Heritage Flight training session the other day
while in the vicinity of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/aviation_imagery

First four pics across the top of the gallery...

Great pix, Jay.

That wasn't Vlado flying the Mustang, by any chance?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 7, 4:37 am, "Jay Beckman" wrote:
Happened to fall across a Heritage Flight training session the other day
while in the vicinity of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/aviation_imagery

First four pics across the top of the gallery...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZwww.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Great pics! Wow! 2 P-51's, an F-15 and an F-4. I didn't know anyone
was still flying F-4's. I thought the RF-4 (last variant in service)
was retired a few years ago. Also a P-51 with an A-10, F-16 and an
F-22. Quite a sight!

Thanks for sharing.
John

Old March 7th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"John T" wrote in message
"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

Happened to fall across a Heritage Flight training session the other
day while in the vicinity of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ:

Nice - even though I could never get the larger version of Pic1 to show
(always came up blank for me).

Did you plan to get all belly shots?

--
John T

No, I had hoped to get some frames from above and below the second Mustang
but Clay Lacy's lear was already booked and shooting back at the formation
was right out because my B25 is down for a wash and wax.

:OP

Jay B

Old March 7th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Dang, don't ya hate it when that happens?
Nice pics. Thanks for taking the time.
Jim

Old March 7th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:37:11 -0700, Jay Beckman wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/aviation_imagery

Nice stuff Jay.. you're giving Richard Seaman a run for his money.

--
Dallas
Old March 8th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 7-Mar-2007, wrote:

I didn't know anyone
was still flying F-4's. I thought the RF-4 (last variant in service)
was retired a few years ago.

The F-4 is actually a QF-4E drone. They are flown by units at Tyndall AFB,
Florida and Holloman AFB, New Mexico. The QF-4s are flown manned for many
sorties, and when their time is up, they are flown unmanned and expended as
missile targets. The drone units each have four or five airplanes that were
given new paintjobs loosely based on camouflage paint worn by the F-4 during
its operational service to fly at airshows. The QF-4E in the photo is one
of those. Those particular airplanes have just a certain number hours
they'll be allowed to fly (until their next major inspections are due) and
then they too will be expended as targets. There have been a few QRF-4Cs and
as the F-4E supply at Davis-Monthan gets depleted, there will be more. Early
in the drone program all of the F-4G Wild Weasels were expended, with the
exception of a very few that made it to museums or permanent static
displays.
The Phantoms have been very popular for Heritage Flight displays, and I've
read the Air Force plans to increase the numbers in new paintjobs for the
program. One more note for those who ca the ugly hump on the top of the
fuselage seen on drones up until now is going away; they've changed the
equipment and the hump is no longer required for the drone conversion.
Scott Wilson
Old March 8th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

wrote in message

On 7-Mar-2007, wrote:

[...]

Interesting...

I had no idea there were enough airworthy (with a human aboard) airframes to
do this. I would have bet dollars to donuts that it was the Collings
Foundation's F4.

I should call DMs PubAff office and ask.

Jay B

Old March 8th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

wrote in message

On 7-Mar-2007, wrote:

[...]

The "buzz" number on the nose gear door is 434 (maybe 494) and AF-308 is on
the blister between the nose cone and the formation light.

I did a really quick search but came up empty.

Jay B