bouncing off the runway

Old June 26th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
E Z Peaces

Default bouncing off the runway

Yesterday I chatted with a retired man flying a model airplane. He said
he'd taken lessons in a plane with conventional gear in the 1950s. On
his third lesson, the instructor had him land. It was perfect.

After that, every time he landed he would bounce and float above the
runway. His instructor didn't know what caused it. A senior instructor
went up with him and observed that when he touched down, he didn't
continue to hold the stick back. That caused the tail to rise and the
plane to lift off.

That doesn't make sense to me. I've always understood that with
conventional gear, excess speed is the cause of bouncing and floating.
With the main wheels forward of the center of mass, your angle of attack
will increase when you touch down, and the plane will rise if you still
have flying speed.

If a pilot touches down too fast, I've understood that he needs to keep
the tail up and use the brakes without nosing over.

If the instructor had told him he was touching down too fast because he
wasn't holding the stick back far enough during descent, that would make
sense to me because a higher angle of attack induces more drag.

The man said the problem was that he had failed to keep the stick back
after touchdown. Does his recollection make sense?
Old June 26th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jun 26, 3:00*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:

The man said the problem was that he had failed to keep the stick back
after touchdown. *Does his recollection make sense?

Nope

Cheers
Old June 26th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

E Z Peaces wrote in news:g3v0og$d61$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

[...]

Yep.

Bertie
Old June 26th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 25, 8:00*pm, E Z Peaces wrote:
Yesterday I chatted with a retired man flying a model airplane. *He said
he'd taken lessons in a plane with conventional gear in the 1950s. *On
his third lesson, the instructor had him land. *It was perfect.

After that, every time he landed he would bounce and float above the
runway. *His instructor didn't know what caused it. *A senior instructor
* went up with him and observed that when he touched down, he didn't
continue to hold the stick back. *That caused the tail to rise and the
plane to lift off.

That doesn't make sense to me. *I've always understood that with
conventional gear, excess speed is the cause of bouncing and floating.
With the main wheels forward of the center of mass, your angle of attack
will increase when you touch down, and the plane will rise if you still
have flying speed.

You have to hold the stick back until you tie the plane down in order
to plant the little tailwheel on the ground. Without the stick back
not only do you have less steering but because it has so little weight
it could easily pop back up (if you push the stick forward right after
landing you could pop it up easily). In most light taildraggers one
person can easily lift the tail off the ground (which is how we would
move the plane, no tow bar required).

-Robert

Old June 26th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 26, 7:25*am, E Z Peaces wrote:

Doesn't a three-point landing occur at stall speed? *

That is one of the biggest myths in aviation. I've flown a lot of
taildraggers (GA) and few of them had the stall angle and the 3 pt
angle in alignment. As an example the Globe Swift stalls with the tail
about 2 feet off the ground while the Decathlon/Citabria stalls with
the tail on the ground and the mains still several feet in the air,
its very, very much still flying in the 3pt position. The hard part of
landing a Citabria is not to crush the mains after landing the tail.

-Robert, CFII

Runway J.F. Aviation Photos 14 September 14th 07 04:24 PM
Runway ID Lakeview Bill Piloting 55 October 18th 05 12:53 AM
Runway needs of F4U and F-4 ???? vincent p. norris Naval Aviation 8 October 6th 05 07:18 PM
Bouncing ammeter hand on 76 Warrior Leo Owning 5 December 5th 04 09:24 PM
Runway in Use Sniper@SDU Simulators 11 October 8th 03 10:57 AM