New Zealand to sell A-4's

Old September 3rd 08, 05:16 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

Default New Zealand to sell A-4's

http://3news.co.nz/Skyhawkssalegetsa...7/Default.aspx

Skyhawks sale gets a step closer
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 5:16p.m.

The Air Force's white elephants, the A4 Skyhawks, are one step closer to
finally being sold, seven years after they were grounded.

Defence Minister Phil Goff has confirmed to 3 News the US government has
given him an assurance to fast track a possible sale, which could come
in the next two months.

Since being grounded in 2001 the A4 Skyhawks have proved to be more a
nightmare for the Air Force than the pride they once were, costing
$300,000 a month to maintain.

The Government has tried to sell them for nine years, only to be blocked
every time by the US State Department. But Defence Minister Phil Goff
says they are now wanting to help.

“I have now had an assurance from the Department of Defence and the
Department of State that once the tender has been issued, to one of the
two bidders for our planes, they will fast track the process,” says Goff.

Goff has confirmed to 3 News the sale price is US$110 million dollars
for the 17 Skyhawk jets and a fleet of training Aermacchis.

A contract has yet to be awarded by the US, but Goff is confident that
should be in the next two months, and a cheque written finally by the
end of the year.

“I'll only breathe a sigh of relief when I receive the cheque but so far
the assurance given to me by the American government is very welcome,”
says Goff.

The assurance came from a high level US official who visited Wellington
last week, and it comes less than a month after the visit of Secretary
of State Condoleezza Rice.

The Skyhawks have been sitting outside at the Woodbourne Airbase for
almost a year, covered by a hundred thousand dollar latex coating that
ACT MP Heather Roy says is failing.

“Water is seeping in between the layers of the latex. It's pooling the
so called maintenance is somebody going around after rain with a pin or
sharp object piercing the latex covering so that the water drains out
and that’s it,” Roy says.
Safe Air, the company that maintains the Skyhawks, would not comment
today. The Air Force though says the weather damage was expected but
that the important parts of the aircraft are well kept. The Government
says their current condition should not hinder any possible future sale.

Old September 3rd 08, 07:10 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:
http://3news.co.nz/Skyhawkssalegetsa...9/articleID/66...

[...]

So who's going to buy them? Not to knock the A-4, just curious who
would be on the "approved list" and be in the market for planes?

I'm guessing the Aussies aren't buying.... Colombia? Argentina? Chile?
Old September 3rd 08, 10:59 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

David E. Powell wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:16 pm, Tiger wrote:

[...]

Brazil is the likely user. The Brazilian navy uses A-4's on it's single
Carrier, the São Paulo( ex-french navy Foch). The other choice is a
private air training firm that does military aggressor training for hire.

Old September 3rd 08, 11:47 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
ErrolC

On Sep 4, 6:10*am, "David E. Powell" wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:

http://3news.co.nz/Skyhawkssalegetsa...9/articleID/66...

Skyhawks sale gets a step closer
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 5:16p.m.

The Air Force's white elephants, the A4 Skyhawks, are one step closer to
finally being sold, seven years after they were grounded.

Defence Minister Phil Goff has confirmed to 3 News the US government has
given him an assurance to fast track a possible sale, which could come
in the next two months.

snip

A contract has yet to be awarded by the US, but Goff is confident that
should be in the next two months, and a cheque written finally by the
end of the year.

snip

So who's going to buy them? Not to knock the A-4, just curious who
would be on the "approved list" and be in the market for planes?

I'm guessing the Aussies aren't buying.... Colombia? Argentina? Chile?-

Likely a private company that provides training. I'll believe it has
happened when the money is in the bank - the sale has been 'close'
before, and vague comments from politicians about to face an election
are unconvincing.

--
Errol Cavit
"[I warn against] the almost...universal error of historians to
Old September 4th 08, 12:17 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
george

On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:

[...]

Labor (the current political party in power) have at the start of each
of the last 3 electoral cycles had a 'buyer' for the A4s.
After the election the story has been that the US government has
forbidden the sale..

Our pollies lie just the same as any-one elses
Old September 4th 08, 12:27 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Tiger

ErrolC wrote:
On Sep 4, 6:10 am, "David E. Powell" wrote:

Likely a private company that provides training. I'll believe it has
happened when the money is in the bank - the sale has been 'close'
before, and vague comments from politicians about to face an election
are unconvincing.

--
Errol Cavit
"[I warn against] the almost...universal error of historians to
suppose it politically, as it physically true, that every effect has a
proportionate cause."
Dr Samuel Johnston, 1771

Past problems seem to be due to the US puting trade restrictions on
resales of US arms. It's little things like that that drive arms buyers
to Europe & Russia.

Old September 4th 08, 01:34 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

David E. Powell wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:16 pm, Tiger wrote:
[...]

Brazil. They still fly scooters off their carrier Sao Paulo.

ALV
Old September 4th 08, 04:45 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
tankfixer

In article f2a19207-daa8-495c-a9b0-67315f857b26
@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com, says...
On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:
[...]

Brazil ?
She bought some of Israel's to fly off her CVL

--
Meddle ye not in the Affairs of Dragons, for Thou art Crunchy and taste
Goode with Ketchup.
Old September 4th 08, 02:57 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
TJ

On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:
[...]

Goode with Ketchup.- Hide quoted text -

Not Israel. Brazil bought the Skyhawks from Kuwait.

TJ
Old September 5th 08, 02:34 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
tankfixer

In article defe91cd-de22-4484-b64d-e62f63b1b548@
1g2000pre.googlegroups.com, says...

On Sep 3, 12:16*pm, Tiger wrote:
[...]

My bad.
Somehow I'd heard Israel was involved.
Could they have gone through the IAI shops before delivery ?

--
Meddle ye not in the Affairs of Dragons, for Thou art Crunchy and taste
Goode with Ketchup.

!!NEW ZEALAND GLIDING DVD!! Anthony Buck Soaring 0 August 24th 06 05:41 PM
Mid-air in New Zealand george Piloting 4 February 9th 06 11:25 PM
NEW ZEALAND VIDEO John Roake Soaring 0 November 21st 04 01:37 AM
Junkers 88 in New Zealand? Ian Restoration 5 December 20th 03 06:30 AM
Volksplane in New Zealand? Wooduuuward Home Built 0 July 2nd 03 05:14 PM