I removed myself from an airline flight - long

Old December 18th 03, 07:53 AM
David Brooks

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:26:05 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

"Peter R." wrote in message
Peter, take a look at "Nomen's" posting history on Google. It appears

we
may have a professional troll here.

Ahh...thanks for the warning. I can usually detect the amateur trolls
pretty easily, but the pros are better at fooling us.

Nomen Nescio is the cognomen assigned to anonymous authors by the
usenet posting gateway.

And it's Latin for "I don't know the name" (and I last studied Latin in 1965
and didn't have to look it up!)

(Larry, you used the word cognomen intentionally, I suppose?)

-- David Brooks

Old December 18th 03, 02:50 PM
Maule Driver

"tony roberts"
Once I was waiting to fly from London to Jeddah when a Saudi asked me if
I would carry some luggage for him. I refused and watched him walk along
the line of passengers until someone agreed. It was one of those
situations where I was uneasy but couldn't decide whether or not to
pursue it (this was a looong time before people started worrying about
terrorists)

So the plane is taxiing to the runway and I unfasten my seatbelt, walk
over to the nearest cabin attendant and told her what happened.

Back to the ramp, unloaded and I have to crouch behind a bunch of
sandbags with the police, trying to identify which box it was.
We eventually find it and blow it up - it was toys!

That's taking action. That is a case where you did 'know' something that
was unacceptable. You pointed it out and the pilot made the decision.

In a sense, you did the same thing I did in Houston but the pilot considered
it a show stopper.

Old December 18th 03, 03:04 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:00:04 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
] wrote in Message-Id:
:

Given the choice of being spammed by the ton, or having a couple of idiots call me a Troll
once in a while, I'll let them advertise their stupidity.

Spam is a fact of usenet participation; get over it.

Personally, I view the credibility of articles originating from
anonymous usenet gateways with an eye of suspicion. It raises the
question, what motivation prompts an author to choose to hide his
identity and thus escape public responsibility for his words? The
credibility of anonymous authors is always more suspect than those
authors who have nothing to hide.

Take off your mask and join your fellow airmen as a peer in polite
discussion. It's painless, really, and you'll likely find your
credibility among the participants generally increased, instead of
being viewed as a paranoiac or flame-bait.

Old December 18th 03, 03:09 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:53:14 -0800, "David Brooks"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

(Larry, you used the word cognomen intentionally, I suppose?)

I used the word in its second sense as defined by Marriam-Webster:

Main Entry:cognomen
Pronunciation:k*g-*n*-m*n, *k*g-n*-
Function:noun
Inflected Formlural cognomens or cognomina \k*g-*n*-m*-n*,
-*n*-\
Etymology:Latin, irregular from co- + nomen name more at NAME
Date:1809

1 : SURNAME; especially : the third of usually three names
borne by a male citizen of ancient Rome
2 : NAME; especially : a distinguishing nickname or epithet
–cognominal \k*g-*n*-m*-n*l\ adjective

Old December 18th 03, 03:11 PM
Peter R.

Larry Dighera ) wrote:

Personally, I view the credibility of articles originating from
anonymous usenet gateways with an eye of suspicion.

I wish I could even view his articles. It appears that "Nomen's"
Anonymizer software is causing problems for Usenet propagation. Many of
his posts are not appearing on my commercial news provider's various
servers. Some of his articles that do actually make it have incorrect
article numbers, causing them to be irretrievable.

He's effectively filtering himself...

--
Peter

Old December 18th 03, 07:36 PM
Gene Seibel

Complacency kills.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old December 18th 03, 08:15 PM
Peter R.

Nomen Nescio ]) wrote:

When my inbox started getting HUNDREDS of spams a day, I decided I had to
do something about it. (one day the number was 1000+).

So, you are basically saying that you were smart enough to learn about and
use an Anonymizing remailer but never thought about simply providing a
false email address in your news reader?

Hmmm...

snip
But usually, after I explain, the person has enough class to apologize.
Funny, I've never received an apology on a piloting newsgroup, though.

Then it logically follows that pilots have no class.

If I've been discourteous to anyone, please point it out and I
will apologize!

IMO, you were discourteous to MRQB in the student newsgroup long before he
had any words with you.

--
Peter

Old December 18th 03, 09:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Larry Dighera writes:

Personally, I view the credibility of articles originating from
anonymous usenet gateways with an eye of suspicion. It raises the
question, what motivation prompts an author to choose to hide his
identity and thus escape public responsibility for his words?

Personally, I hardly ever choose to spend my time trying to guess
what the credibility of a poster is. Instead, I react to what he
has written. If I need to know if it's true or not, I try to find
proof beyond the domain name of the sender's e-mail address.

Take off your mask and join your fellow airmen as a peer in polite
discussion. It's painless, really, and you'll likely find your
credibility among the participants generally increased, instead of
being viewed as a paranoiac or flame-bait.

If you disagree with something written, how 'bout just posting your
reasons instead of attacking someone for unrelated behavior?
Playing the troll-labeling game has no value.

--kyler
Old December 18th 03, 09:30 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:11:53 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote in Message-Id: :

Larry Dighera writes:

Take off your mask and join your fellow airmen as a peer in polite
discussion. It's painless, really, and you'll likely find your
credibility among the participants generally increased, instead of
being viewed as a paranoiac or flame-bait.

If you disagree with something written, how 'bout just posting your
reasons instead of attacking someone for unrelated behavior?
Playing the troll-labeling game has no value.

You see an attack where none was intended.

Old December 19th 03, 12:11 AM
Kyler Laird

Nomen Nescio ] writes:

If you disagree with something written, how 'bout just posting your
reasons instead of attacking someone for unrelated behavior?
Playing the troll-labeling game has no value.

Thank you for making that point.

Well, I'm sorry that in making the point I also mistook Larry's
invitation to polite discussion as an attack.

Calling "troll" (instead of investigating the subject) is one of
my hot buttons and I suspect that I overreacted. I apologize.

Not surprisingly, That's the attitude I would expect from someone who would shell out hundreds
of dollars of their own money to buy the digitized sectionals from the FAA, and make them
available to all other pilots for free.

Hey now - this judgement thing cuts both ways. I don't want my
words in this thread to be judged based on some unrelated actions
you've observed. They should stand all on their own or be torn
down on their merit.

How's that project going, BTW. Have you been able to start working on some of the software
that you wanted to do?

I made the "chunks" I thought were crucial building blocks.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/mosaic
Then I wrapped up the semester. Now I'm letting my ideas simmer
while I contemplate a Doctoral degree subject. (No, it's not
aviation-related. I'm thinking about robot-assisted dogs. I
asked my wife if I could join her in Aviation Technology and study
the use of therapy dogs in the cockpit, but she didn't think that
would fly.)

--kyler