Avionic Install/Replacement Certification

Old April 2nd 05, 03:27 PM
David Salvagnini

Default Avionic Install/Replacement Certification

I have been searching the FAA regulations for information who is authorized
to sign off Com/Nav or avionic equipment installation or replacement. For
now this is hypothetical.

I have 5 years experience in aircraft maintenance from the Air Force and 6
years experience as a radio technician. I hold a valid General Radio
Telephone license but no A&P certification. I have the general knowledge
but am unaware of what authority my FCC license allows and am having trouble
finding the information the regs.

Can someone please tell me what regulations govern certifications
requirements for a avionic sign-off? Based on Part 43, I know radio and
navigation system work is "major" and therefore regulated. I also know if
installing a new radio, an A&P would be required to sign-off any structural
and weight and balance aspects of the install. Does a new radio also
require a second sign-off from an FCC license holder? What about a new ODI
or an GPS?

Again this is hypothetical. At the moment I am toying with the possibility
of pursuing the credentials to become a certified avionic technician.
Thanks.

Dave Salvagnini
2W5 - Maryland

Old April 2nd 05, 05:35 PM
RST Engineering

"David Salvagnini" wrote in message

I have been searching the FAA regulations for information who is authorized
to sign off Com/Nav or avionic equipment installation or replacement. For
now this is hypothetical.

Don't bother. You won't find anything.

Can someone please tell me what regulations govern certifications
requirements for a avionic sign-off?

The same ones that require an A&P's siggy on anything installed into the
aircraft.

Based on Part 43, I know radio and
navigation system work is "major" and therefore regulated.

Then you need remedial work on reading regulations. That is blatantly
false.

I also know if
installing a new radio, an A&P would be required to sign-off any
structural and weight and balance aspects of the install.

That is correct.

Does a new radio also
require a second sign-off from an FCC license holder?

No.

What about a new ODI
or an GPS?

No. No.

Jim

Old April 3rd 05, 05:12 AM
Oscar

Again this is hypothetical. At the moment I am toying with the
possibility
of pursuing the credentials to become a certified avionic technician.
Thanks.

If you want to repair radios, you will have repair and return to service
authority only in association with a certified repair station. So your
choices will be limited to working for a certified repair station which in
english means an established avionics shop, or opening your own repair
station and being the certified repairman for it. You can't just work out
of the back of your pickup truck and be a certified repair station. See
Part 145.

If you just want to install radios yourself, you can become an A&P and don't
need be an "avionics technician." Or you can install the radios yourself
and get somebody licensed to check the work and sign it off, which is the
preferred method if you're not looking a new career.

Old April 4th 05, 06:41 AM

The regulations seem to be deliberately written to prohibit exactly
what you are wishing to do. Seems like no "freelance" avionics guys are
to be allowed in business. The FAA only wants certificated A&P
mechanics and certificated repair stations working on certificated
airplanes, and lately there seems to be some kind of subtle pressure to
begin elimination of the independent A&P mechanic too and try to make
all airplane work required to be done at certificated repair stations
with lots of extra bureaucratic oversight and scrutiny.