I think I know why so many Cirrus' crash

Old January 15th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I think I know why so many Cirrus' crash

Coming back from KCOS to 00V today several aircraft were in the
pattern for runway 33 and some people wanted runway 15 since the winds
were at the changeover point. With one or two at the runup area for
runway 15 I just went east until the fiasco was sorted out (I made
several position reports since people were all over).

Once that happened I announced my intentions (enter left downwind for
15) about 7-8 miles out and not long after that a Cirrus announced he
was 10 miles out. When I was on left downwind the Cirrus pilot
broadcast that he was on about 4 mile base for 15. I "assumed" he
meant downwind. Then when I was about to turn base he called out four
mile FINAL for 15. I saw a plane in that area and turned base
(calling it out by radio of course)

He asked if I was cutting in front of him and I stated "Looks like
it."

Soon thereafter I decided that I was too fast so went around then when
on downwind again stated that his (Cirrus "pilot") pattern entry was
bad. His response was "I called it out." I told him that it was not
good when other planes are using a standard pattern. Had he been the
only one around I would not have cared.

Thus my assessment is that Cirrus pilots have too much money and
inadequate pilot skills/common sense. Other fatal crashes just add to
this perception.

Ron Lee

Old January 15th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Lee wrote:

Thus my assessment is that Cirrus pilots have too much money and
inadequate pilot skills/common sense. Other fatal crashes just add to
this perception.

A problem with your extrapolation from this single data point is that I know
someone that has similarly poor pattern behavior but who is a 182 owner.

- Andrew

Old January 15th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
Coming back from KCOS to 00V today several aircraft were in the
pattern for runway 33 and some people...

major deletion

...ey and
inadequate pilot skills/common sense. Other fatal crashes just add to
this perception.

Ron Lee

...and you, of course, did nothing wrong????

Old January 15th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
///////
He asked if I was cutting in front of him and I stated "Looks like
it."

Proper response: 'Using recommended proocedure.'

Ron Lee

Old January 15th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron, a serious question here. I appreciate good judgement when you
chose to go around being too fast somewhere on final, but would you say
a few words as to what might have set up that circumstance?

Was it a short runway, or was someone slow getting off the active, or
did you just come in too hot to put enough spacing between you and the
Cirrus?

Old January 15th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Few things bother me more than someone who comes barreling through the
pattern, expecting the sky to miraculously clear before him. My home field
is fairly busy on weekends and there is *always* someone who thinks his time
is more valuable than everyone else's and pulls this kind of stunt.
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do, unless you want to call the
other guy out on the radio or do something really stupid like genuinely
crowd him in the pattern...

Beyond that, we get our share of turbine traffic. It appears that part of
the training for flying a kerosene burner is that you are *required* to land
straight in, no matter how many airplanes are in the pattern.

KB

Old January 15th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:

It appears that part of
the training for flying a kerosene burner is that you are *required* to land
straight in, no matter how many airplanes are in the pattern.

Well, they pretty much are required to do that. It's safer to come straight in
than to try to land using the large pattern they would have to fly. You sure
can't fly the same pattern in a Citation that I can in a Maule.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 15th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I got landing clearance once, 'Cessna 1234Z clear to land, short approach,
Hawker traffic five mile final'.
'Unable, continuing downwind'

sure, could have cut the throttle, dropped the flaps and swooped in real
tight, but it really isn't worth the minute or two saved to get bunched up.
Just relax and watch the jet traffic go by.

Old January 15th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thus my assessment is that Cirrus pilots have too much money and
inadequate pilot skills/common sense. Other fatal crashes just add to
this perception.

What you are seeing isn't anything specific to the Cirrus.

Jerks are jerks.

Rich jerks with high performance planes are dangerous.

Rich jerks flying high performance planes too infrequently are disasters
waiting to happen.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 15th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sort of like SUV owners. I once had a plane fly under me and land when
I was a mile from touch down at Bader, Atlantic City. Just turned to
the left and went around again.
Homo sapiens is generally a very foolish species.

Lancaster California: Another Fatal Cirrus Crash Larry Dighera Piloting 63 March 31st 06 09:34 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
Another Cirrus crash James L. Freeman Piloting 42 April 24th 04 11:21 PM
Cirrus SR20 Fatal Crash in SC Richard Kaplan Piloting 24 April 22nd 04 10:47 AM