F-16 airspeed

Old July 3rd 04, 02:34 AM
Brad

Default F-16 airspeed

We had a flight of F-16s fly over for the July 4th festivities today. We're
guessing that they were from the Wright Patterson AFB and flew into Columbus
on request for the parade. We watched them fly over and were wondering how
fast they normally fly. Basically, we were trying to figure the time to
travel the 80-90 miles back to Dayton. Either way, it was awesome, and I
couldn't imagine what it would look like for someone knowing that the planes
meant bombs were going to drop.

--
Brad

Old July 3rd 04, 03:05 AM
BTIZ

80 to 90 miles?? about 12-15 minutes.. at 420 TAS.. that's 7 miles per
minute..

of course they could do it faster.. or slower.. to savor the trip..

BT

Old July 3rd 04, 04:27 AM
EDR

Springfield, Wright Pat, and Toledo have F-16's
Mansfield, Youngstown have C-130's.
Rickenbacker has KC-135's and C-130's.
Writ Pat has C-141's, C-130's, KC-135's and C-21's.
Old July 3rd 04, 06:38 AM
Morgans

"EDR" wrote in message

Springfield, Wright Pat, and Toledo have F-16's

Toledo still have a active National Guard? I grew up around there, and used
to watch F-100's practice breaks over our house.

I happened to be at the airport in 74 or 75, when one crashed off the end
of the runway. I never did find out why.

Oops, kinda ages me, doesn't it?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 3rd 04, 12:12 PM
Viperdoc

Working as a flight surgeon I have been fortunate to have around 75 hours in
F-16's, and cruising speed was around 250-300k. My understanding is these
speeds are waivered for controlled airspace as well. Obviously, in full mil
power or with afterburner they can go a lot faster.

Old July 3rd 04, 06:43 PM
Jonathan

Viperdoc wrote:
Working as a flight surgeon I have been fortunate to have around 75 hours in
F-16's, and cruising speed was around 250-300k. My understanding is these
speeds are waivered for controlled airspace as well. Obviously, in full mil
power or with afterburner they can go a lot faster.

Yea, 300 is about right. I love that plane!

--
Jonathan,

www.virtual-hangar.com
Old July 6th 04, 12:26 AM
Bartscher

Toledo still have a active National Guard? I grew up around there, and used
to watch F-100's practice breaks over our house.

I happened to be at the airport in 74 or 75, when one crashed off the end
of the runway. I never did find out why.

Oops, kinda ages me, doesn't it?
--
Jim in NC

They still fly several F-16s out of Toledo and we get visits by KC-135s and
F-15s every once in a while (the former more than the latter).

The F-16s are definitely noticeable when they are up training (my house is
about 4 miles off of the threshold of TOL runway 25). Of course the Coast Guard
& Hospital helicopters along with the nightly cargo DC-8s are more commonly
seen & heard :-)

Eric
Old July 6th 04, 06:42 PM
Tim Witt

Jonathan wrote in message ...
Viperdoc wrote:
Working as a flight surgeon I have been fortunate to have around 75 hours in
F-16's, and cruising speed was around 250-300k. My understanding is these
speeds are waivered for controlled airspace as well. Obviously, in full mil
power or with afterburner they can go a lot faster.

Yea, 300 is about right. I love that plane!

You must be talking indicated airspeeds. Cruise at altitude for an
F-16 would be 420-450 knots TAS. Most fighters have a standing waiver
of the 250 KIAS restriction below 10K. This allows them to fly a
comfortable 300 KIAS on an approach in formation.
Tim (former F-111 WSO)
Old July 6th 04, 06:54 PM
Jonathan

This allows them to fly a
comfortable 300 KIAS on an approach in formation.
Tim (former F-111 WSO)

Are you talking 300 on approach to landing? That is a bit fast, no?

--
Jonathan,

www.virtual-hangar.com
Old July 6th 04, 09:46 PM
Ditch

Are you talking 300 on approach to landing? That is a bit fast, no?

Not for the overhead arrival, after the break the aircraft will be slowed to
approach speed, around 150kts for the F-16.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*