Let's move on

Old August 17th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Let's move on

Martin Hotze wrote:
Jay Honeck schrieb:
It's disgustingly predictable, and kill files only cure half the problem.
(The other half being all the people who respond to their inane, 3-word
personal attack posts...)

then killfile them, too.
here about 50% or more of all postings are wiped out by the killfile.

Or even more. I believe I was one of the earliest to point out that our problem
poster was just a troll. I caught a fair amount of flak for it but I ended up
killfiling him. Then I started sending emails to those who insisted on getting
hooked on his line. I caught more flak. How dare I threaten them? Well, they
weren't threats. They were nothing more than an advisory message saying that I
was going to killfile those who answered him and recommend that others do the
same.

The people who were offended no longer exist in my Usenet universe. Traffic
dropped considerably but so what? Most of that traffic had to do with being
trolled.

My killfile has plenty of folks in it and room for plenty more. It amazes me
that the NG is still dealing with this petty annoyance.

Have I earned a spot in other's killfiles? Who cares? Life will go on.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old August 17th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 17, 9:11 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
The old Coupe is a wonderful airplane as I'm sure you have already
learned. It chugs along quite cheerfully on a dime. I have a few hours in
one that we had on the field. It was a lot of fun, sort of like a car. I'd
roll down the side window and just feel the breezes. We flew it off a hard
surface but it behaved a bit better on the grass.

I haven't taken it on grass yet, but it lands so easily I expect it'll be
very nice. (Our local grass strip -- one of our favorite places to fly --
is still closed since the flooding in June. Six feet of water killed the
grass, and they're keeping it closed until the turf comes back strong enough
to take the abuse of landings.)

The one thing I recall more than anything else was how low the nose was
when we had to prop it once in a while.

You may be describing a typical problem with 'Coupes. The landing gear
geometry is important, and with age gets "off" as the landing gear donuts
age and sag. This also adversely impacts take-off performance, as it
changes the angle of attack. Our landing gear is brand new, and sits fairly
tall, especially compared to the old, clapped out Ercoupe I flew in back in
Wisconsin.

Of course, it's a tiny airplane, so even "sitting tall" it's pretty low to
the ground. Everything about it is...cute.

Looks like your son has taken to the bird with no trouble at all. Glad you
guys are getting some relief from the gas prices :-))

Yeah, we can pretty much fly the 'Coupe four times a week (or more) for what
it costs to fly Atlas once. Once the weather gets cold, and we're not able
to fly with the top down, I expect we'll not be flying "Sweetie" quite so
much -- but ya gotta make hay while the sun's shining!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

How expensive is it to maintain a coupe, relative to other aircraft?
There are a few models that are LSA eligible, and I have been tossing
the idea of buying one to train in.

Can't speak to the current prices, but for sheer fun on a budget, the
Coupe is a great little airplane. I wouldn't recommend buying one for
initial flight training however. Your initial learning curve requires
acclimation to controls and control response that are much better
learned in a straight conventional setup. Even an Ercoupe with a rudder
conversion would not be as suitable for initial training as say a 150
Cessna. Once you have coordination down pat, the switch to a Coupe is a
fun thing.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 18th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

How expensive is it to maintain a coupe, relative to other aircraft?
There are a few models that are LSA eligible, and I have been tossing
the idea of buying one to train in.

Can't speak to the current prices, but for sheer fun on a budget, the
Coupe is a great little airplane. I wouldn't recommend buying one for
initial flight training however.

Agree 100% with Dudley -- this bird is not a primary trainer.

The Ercoupe is incredibly easy to fly -- it was designed by Fred Weick (the
guy who later designed the Cherokee) to be "Everyman's Plane", the plane
that anyone can fly with minimal training after they come back from WWII.

To achieve this he made it as automotive as possible, with the yoke working
as a steering wheel on the ground, and the rudder pedals eliminated
completely. (The rudders are interconnected with the ailerons, and work
remarkably well at keeping the ball centered.)

Much of his design innovations have become standard in all planes (an
electric starter, all-metal construction, etc.) and were quite modern for
the time -- but much of them did NOT become standard, meaning that learning
to fly in an Ercoupe is pretty much a developmental dead-end. You'll never
know how to fly a plane with rudder pedals if you train in one that only has
a brake pedal on the floor!

Thus, when my daughter starts training next year, she'll be learning in the
FBO's old 150s. I recommend the same for you -- and THEN buy yourself a
little deuce 'coupe...

:-)

(We flew Sweetie to an "ice cream social" fly-in at Capitol Airport in
Milwaukee, WI today. It took 2.1 hours to get there, 2.4 back -- she's not
speed demon -- but only took a grand total of 18 gallons of unleaded car gas
to do it! And, of course, everyone on the ramp wanted to know what it was,
which is kinda fun...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 18th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

My killfile has plenty of folks in it and room for plenty more. It amazes
me that the NG is still dealing with this petty annoyance.

Have I earned a spot in other's killfiles? Who cares? Life will go on.

While I agree with you, I'm still deeply saddened by the turn of events.
There was a time here when we were all friends -- and I mean *all* friends.
The list of names of great posters who have moved on to other forums thanks
to the trolls is way too long.

But, everything in life is cyclical, and I expect this is just an especially
deep downturn. Everyone and every thing changes, and (sooner or later)
Bertie, Maxwell, and (to a lesser extent) MX will move on and leave the
group in peace. Or, perhaps the migration to web-based forums will be
complete, and this group will simply dissolve.

Heck, even when this group was (IMHO) great, there were posters here
lamenting the "day AOL opened up the newsgroups" as if that was the utter
ruin of this group. It's ironic how insignificant that event turned out to
be, in the long run.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 18th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dakota

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

I will!

You're out, for one.

Bertie

You already are kook. What do you want now, an official title?

Old August 18th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dakota

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Nonsense. You and your ilk used to control this group, just like Bertie and
his ilk controls it today. It's always been a struggle of controlling
personalities. Until EVERYONE can learn to make room for EVERYONE ELSE'S
opinion, the forum will suffer.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians, too many teachers and not enough
students.

As long as everyone as a group embraces people that don't treat others with
respect, the entire group will suffer.

Old August 18th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Dakota" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

Yeeh, right buttboi.

Bertie

Old August 18th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Nom for Bertie?

"Dakota" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:JA4qk.21391$LF2.13744
@newsfe09.iad:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

I will!

You're out, for one.

Bertie

You already are kook. What do you want now, an official title?

You could always nominate me in AUK.

since you actually do have an official title your nomination should carry
great weight.

Bertie
Old August 18th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

The Ercoupe is incredibly easy to fly -- it was designed by Fred Weick (the
guy who later designed the Cherokee) to be "Everyman's Plane", the plane
that anyone can fly with minimal training after they come back from WWII.

To achieve this he made it as automotive as possible, with the yoke working
as a steering wheel on the ground, and the rudder pedals eliminated
completely. (The rudders are interconnected with the ailerons, and work
remarkably well at keeping the ball centered.)

So why didn't it catch on? In _Stick and Rudder_ Wolfgang regularly sings its
praises, without actually naming it.
Old August 18th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

The Ercoupe is incredibly easy to fly -- it was designed by Fred
Weick (the guy who later designed the Cherokee) to be "Everyman's
Plane", the plane that anyone can fly with minimal training after
they come back from WWII.

To achieve this he made it as automotive as possible, with the yoke
working as a steering wheel on the ground, and the rudder pedals
eliminated completely. (The rudders are interconnected with the
ailerons, and work remarkably well at keeping the ball centered.)

So why didn't it catch on? In _Stick and Rudder_ Wolfgang regularly
sings its praises, without actually naming it.

They realised it might actaully entice idiots like you to fly.

Bertie