waterbombers and grassfires in Adelaide waterbombers and grassfires in Adelaide.wmv [1/4]

Old January 12th 10, 01:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan[_2_]

Default waterbombers and grassfires in Adelaide waterbombers and grassfires in Adelaide.wmv [1/4]

Cool montage Dave, or hot maybe!
Could one call these single engine jobs "water fighters" or "water
fighter-bombers"?
Thanks,
Bill W

Old January 12th 10, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Trajan" wrote in message
Cool montage Dave, or hot maybe!
Could one call these single engine jobs "water fighters" or "water
fighter-bombers"?
Thanks,
Bill W

Thanks, sometimes good, close, overhead footage is hard to find.

The tragic fires in Victoria last year have opened up the discussion about
larger water bombing aircraft in Australia. The Victorian government,
responding as politicians do, have contracted a DC-10 water bomber for this
fire season

For the last 10-15 years there have been fairly loud and regular calls for a
brace of Canadair CL-415s to be based in Australia - from everybody except
the fire services, who seem to be happy with the fleet of leased
agricultural aircraft.

Time will tell, I suppose. We could always drop politicians on the fires,
they don't burn that much.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 12th 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan[_2_]

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message
"Trajan" wrote in message
[...]

Careful you don't drop one of the really gassy ones, could bring down the
aircraft!
Saw a news blurb about the temps in Adelaide, 30 degrees at 6:00 in the
morning, high of 40. Whew....
We could use some of that heat here in the mid-central US, we haven't been
above freezing for two weeks.
Oh well, I'll remember it more fondly come July.

Stay cool,
Bill Wolcott

Old January 12th 10, 03:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Trajan" wrote in message

Careful you don't drop one of the really gassy ones, could bring down the
aircraft!
Saw a news blurb about the temps in Adelaide, 30 degrees at 6:00 in the
morning, high of 40. Whew....
We could use some of that heat here in the mid-central US, we haven't been
above freezing for two weeks.
Oh well, I'll remember it more fondly come July.

Stay cool,
Bill Wolcott

Thanks Bill. The cool change arrived this morning, temps down to the low
twenties with frequent showers since 0530.

I'm amazed that news of our weather has made it out your way, surely the
snow is a much bigger story.

Our background mortality rate seems to peak during a heat wave. I've
heard some startling numbers of elderly people who quietly expire in their
homes during the hot spells and community services like the Red Cross are
flat-out checking at-risk clients several times a day during the summer.

I think I'll opt to stay next to the air-conditioner.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	633933349404377090-nope.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	41010
Old January 12th 10, 09:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:11:42 +1030, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Trajan" wrote in message
m...
[...]

We're gonna need a bigger fire...
Old January 12th 10, 09:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

"Trajan" wrote in message
[...]

Seattle, in the far northwest USA, was several degrees ~warmer~
yesterday than Miami, Florida (diagonally across the US, supposedly in
the tropics.)

El Nino, dontchaknow.
Old January 12th 10, 10:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:27:06 +1030, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

"Trajan" wrote in message
m...

[...]

My apartment is on the southwest corner of a brick & concrete
building, with floor-to-ceiling south-facing windows. It can get
amazingly toasty in here on a hot summer day, easily into the high
90sF.

I'm not (quite yet) an old fart, but before I rescued a clunky, but
still working, air conditioner from the trash a few years ago, I had a
couple days where I began to worry a bit for my health.

It is surprisingly easy to let heat and dehydration get away from you.
Remember that terrible heat wave in Europe a couple years back where
several thousand folks didn't make it.

On the upside, those south-facing windows I have are great on a
frigid-but-sunny winter day; I can easily get this place too warm for
the few hours the sun is up. The cat is equally impressed.

Bob ^,,^

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBY-6A  N85U  64041  Flying Fireman  PAE  9-26-09  076.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	41012
Old January 12th 10, 01:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan

Thanks Bill. The cool change arrived this morning, temps down to the
low
twenties with frequent showers since 0530.

I'm amazed that news of our weather has made it out your way, surely the
snow is a much bigger story.

Our background mortality rate seems to peak during a heat wave. I've
heard some startling numbers of elderly people who quietly expire in their
homes during the hot spells and community services like the Red Cross are
flat-out checking at-risk clients several times a day during the summer.

I think I'll opt to stay next to the air-conditioner.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Hi Dave,
Perhaps the snow's a bigger story here, but the "other side of the world"
heat wave makes for a great counter-point. Esp. as we can't run off to the
usual Southern states to get warm, it's cool even in Miami. My oldest just
spent Christmas break working at WDW in Orlando, came back complaining about
it only being in the 50's and 60's (f) Christmas week. Now she wishes it
were that "warm" here.
A powerful AC and a cold, frosty drink are an unbeatable pair in the dog
days of summer.
Bill Wolcott

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	41026
Old January 12th 10, 05:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jon Anderson

Dave Kearton wrote:

We could always drop politicians on the
fires, they don't burn that much.

Perhaps not in and of themselves, but the hot air they contain certainly
won't help matters... G

Jon
Old January 12th 10, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jon Anderson

Dave Kearton wrote:

For the last 10-15 years there have been fairly loud and regular calls
for a brace of Canadair CL-415s to be based in Australia - from
everybody except the fire services, who seem to be happy with the fleet
of leased agricultural aircraft.

Those Air Tractors are certainly better than nothing, but I'm surprised
to learn larger aircraft are not much more common. Maybe things will
start to change soon.

Jon