RAS SPAM - What can be done?

Old February 22nd 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default RAS SPAM - What can be done?

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:11:27 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Allow me to correct my proceduÂ* I open the message, right click on
the reply to address, select "Create Filter From", and proceed as below.

On 2/22/2018 8:18 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
As I said earlier, I use Thunderbird as my email client and news
reader.Â* When I see a spam message, I simply right click on the
subject before opening the message, and select "Create Filter From".Â*
Then I can use boolean logic (equals, contains, etc.) to create the
filter.Â* In the disposition section of the filter, I simply select
"Delete".Â* Problem solved.

BTW, I'm of Sicilian extraction.Â* My Dad could have taught me better
ways...

Cheers!

On 2/22/2018 8:09 AM, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:00:04 AM UTC-5, OHM Ω
http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
We are seeing an increased amount of SPAM on RAS
(rec.aviation.soaring).Â* I have seen this before on other
rec.xxx.xxx network news groups and the group becomes basically 100%
SPAM.Â* A great shame.Â*Â* We need to fight to keep RAS a good place
for discussions.

Many groups have simply exited network news altogether and gone to
web based user group forums so that they can control who is allowed
to use the system (and kick idiots off).Â* A Google Group is such a
forum with controls (I don't recommend Yahoo groups).Â* Some forums
are created as money makers and can be filled with ads.Â* Bottom
line, this requires someone to create such a thing and administer it.

Believe it or not the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) goes all
the way back to 1986, the very beginnings of the Internet!Â* It was
designed from the get-go to be open to anyone. Network neutrality as
a foundation of the Internet! What can be done to stop SPAM?Â* As I
understand it nothing can be done.Â* There is, by design, no way to
prevent someone from posting whatever they want to a network news
group.

We cannot prevent this person (probably a bot in reality) from
posting their drivel to RAS (and in all likelihood also to every
other network news group too). Like all SPAM you have to wonder how
profitable it really is (but has the advantage of being nearly free
to implement). Sending this nefarious person a "why are you doing
this?" message is totally useless.

So, what effective things can be done? Here are my thoughts from
easy to illegal;

1) Ignore it.Â* Maybe it will just fade away as I have seen in the past.

2) Use Google to read RAS at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...iation.soaring. This
is different than creating a new Google group which allows user
controls.Â* I use the Google "report abuse" button to mark the entry
as SPAM. This, at the very least, replaces the entry with "This
topic has been hidden because you reported it for abuse". I believe
that if enough people report abuse of an article, then Google blocks
these messages for everyone.Â* But this is somewhat tedious.

3) Use a standalone Network News reader application that allows
filtering out certain subjects, authors or in other ways.Â* This is
available on any device down to smart phones (watches?).Â* The
downside is you have to set this up on all your devices (rather than
using a web site).Â* I don't have any recent experience with the
newest batch of readers.Â* Anyone have some ideas about good readers?

4) Go somewhere else and create a forum to replace RAS network news
such as a new Google Group.Â* This requires a coordinated
administration.

4) Hire an Italian from Chicago to knock off the offending idiot.Â*
Wait a minute, I AM AN ITALIAN FROM CHICAGO!Â* Ok, so that's a very
bad idea. Politically incorrect. Ignore this. Please.Â* (as I said
anyone can say anything on network news)

Any other (good) ideas?

Thanks, John (OHM Ω)
I use Google groups and report abuse - spam - for each post. If
everyone using ras on Google groups did this, they would exclude
him/her/it quickly.

--
Dan, 5J

Dan - What NNTP server (IP address or host name) do you use?
Old February 22nd 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sarah,

PM sent.

Dan

On 2/22/2018 9:11 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Allow me to correct my proceduÂ* I open the message, right click on
the reply to address, select "Create Filter From", and proceed as below.

On 2/22/2018 8:18 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
As I said earlier, I use Thunderbird as my email client and news
reader.Â* When I see a spam message, I simply right click on the
subject before opening the message, and select "Create Filter From".Â*
Then I can use boolean logic (equals, contains, etc.) to create the
filter.Â* In the disposition section of the filter, I simply select
"Delete". Problem solved.

[...]

the newest batch of readers. Anyone have some ideas about good

Old February 22nd 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm using news.eternal-september.org as was suggested to me several
years ago by a member of this group.Â* You must first go to their website
and create a free account, then you can set up that account in your
email client if it supports that.

That may or may not have answered your question, but this is an area
where I'm not well qualified.Â* I got a lot of help from the other member
of the group and I don't remember who that was.

Old February 22nd 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

Thanks Dan, that was enough of a hint. Two things I discovered that may save others time.

1) Create an account at www.eternal-september.org and note the username & password they email you.

2) Create a thunderbird (or other reader) news folder account and select the encrypted SSL port 563 option and "always authenticate" checkbox. Save the changes and restart thunderbird. The next time it starts reading the group, you will be prompted for the name & password. Then you can view/subscribe to whatever group(s) you want.

--Sarah

Old February 22nd 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 7:00:04 AM UTC-8, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
We are seeing an increased amount of SPAM on RAS (rec.aviation.soaring). I have seen this before on other rec.xxx.xxx network news groups and the group becomes basically 100% SPAM. A great shame. We need to fight to keep RAS a good place for discussions.

Many groups have simply exited network news altogether and gone to web based user group forums so that they can control who is allowed to use the system (and kick idiots off). A Google Group is such a forum with controls (I don't recommend Yahoo groups). Some forums are created as money makers and can be filled with ads. Bottom line, this requires someone to create such a thing and administer it.

Believe it or not the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) goes all the way back to 1986, the very beginnings of the Internet! It was designed from the get-go to be open to anyone. Network neutrality as a foundation of the Internet! What can be done to stop SPAM? As I understand it nothing can be done. There is, by design, no way to prevent someone from posting whatever they want to a network news group.

We cannot prevent this person (probably a bot in reality) from posting their drivel to RAS (and in all likelihood also to every other network news group too). Like all SPAM you have to wonder how profitable it really is (but has the advantage of being nearly free to implement). Sending this nefarious person a "why are you doing this?" message is totally useless.

So, what effective things can be done? Here are my thoughts from easy to illegal;

1) Ignore it. Maybe it will just fade away as I have seen in the past.

2) Use Google to read RAS at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...iation.soaring. This is different than creating a new Google group which allows user controls. I use the Google "report abuse" button to mark the entry as SPAM. This, at the very least, replaces the entry with "This topic has been hidden because you reported it for abuse". I believe that if enough people report abuse of an article, then Google blocks these messages for everyone. But this is somewhat tedious.

3) Use a standalone Network News reader application that allows filtering out certain subjects, authors or in other ways. This is available on any device down to smart phones (watches?). The downside is you have to set this up on all your devices (rather than using a web site). I don't have any recent experience with the newest batch of readers. Anyone have some ideas about good readers?

4) Go somewhere else and create a forum to replace RAS network news such as a new Google Group. This requires a coordinated administration.

4) Hire an Italian from Chicago to knock off the offending idiot. Wait a minute, I AM AN ITALIAN FROM CHICAGO! Ok, so that's a very bad idea. Politically incorrect. Ignore this. Please. (as I said anyone can say anything on network news)

Any other (good) ideas?

Thanks, John (OHM Ω)

A good start would be for everyone to stop. replying. to the spam. Every time someone tries to 'yell at the bad person' it bumps that subject back to the top and often inspires a new person to step up and take a swing while the rest of us sigh and watch the cycle repeat like a groundhog day loop but somehow dumber.
Old February 22nd 18, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

I got to wondering if they were becoming more numerous because some of us have started quickly tagging them as SPAM so they get blocked. Not willing to take the chance. Like, you David, I enjoy tagging them as SPAM. As Bob K has started to say, "Trebuchet Ride For You!"

Steve Leonard
Old February 22nd 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I also report as abuse, SPAM. Not sure it has any impact on anything except my view of the postings list but there does seem to be less recently. I've thought about reporting it as abuse, violence, wondering if that would have more impact. But I didn't want to attract attention from the FBI or militant/litigious First Amendment guardians.

Chip Bearden
Old February 23rd 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 1:25:36 PM UTC-7, Chip Bearden wrote:
I also report as abuse, SPAM. Not sure it has any impact on anything except my view of the postings list but there does seem to be less recently. I've thought about reporting it as abuse, violence, wondering if that would have more impact. But I didn't want to attract attention from the FBI or militant/litigious First Amendment guardians.

Chip Bearden

Google removed the AbuseOff Topic option. One post indicated that the offending account was new, so apparently the old account was blocked or cancelled. Enough abuse complaints, they'll move to another account unless Google can block else wise. At least some are posted from the UAE.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 23rd 18, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 2/22/18 3:05 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 1:25:36 PM UTC-7, Chip Bearden wrote:
I also report as abuse, SPAM. Not sure it has any impact on anything except my view of the postings list but there does seem to be less recently. I've thought about reporting it as abuse, violence, wondering if that would have more impact. But I didn't want to attract attention from the FBI or militant/litigious First Amendment guardians.

Chip Bearden

Google removed the AbuseOff Topic option. One post indicated that the offending account was new, so apparently the old account was blocked or cancelled. Enough abuse complaints, they'll move to another account unless Google can block else wise. At least some are posted from the UAE.

Frank Whiteley

Certainly do not reply to the spam messages. As already mentioned doing
that makes them more visible to other users. And the spammers will love
the attention.

Unfortunately these come from people injecting spam via Google Groups.
Google could easily address this if they have a flying fark, but they
apparently don’t. If you know folks who work at Google complain at them...

Flagging content as spam within Google Groups often eventually results
in it being hidden from other users, but after far too long a delay and
with far too little proactive response to concurrent/subsequent spam posts

The best advice is probably skip Google Groups and use a different news
reader like Thunderbird and a service provider like Eternal September.
And work out how to use killfiles (how spam was has always been handled
on USENET, and unlike Google, USENET server administrators/service
providers would actively go after and shut down spam posters).

Since much of r.a.s. is USA specific a better long term plan might be to
move those discussions elsewhere especially now that Google has helped
damage USENET.

SPAM Sukesh Piloting 0 July 3rd 10 04:14 PM
SPAM Mark Piloting 0 April 13th 10 01:01 PM
spam Eeyore[_2_] Soaring 2 September 26th 08 12:52 PM
My spam C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 4 April 27th 08 04:36 AM
(OT Spam) Statement on Spam and VoteNader.org Roger Halstead Restoration 0 April 10th 04 07:03 PM