AL-KO Cobra Trailer Coupler Keyhole Slot?

Old February 14th 17, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default AL-KO Cobra Trailer Coupler Keyhole Slot?

On the side of the AL-KO 2" coupler on my Cobra trailer there is a "keyhole" shaped hole. What is it for? It sure looks like some type of locking mechanism but no one seems to know what it is for. The coupler is marked "CL4 2" AL-KO Elkhart, IN). I contacted AL-KO in the UK and they directed me to AL-KO in the US but I never got a response.

Thanks, John

Here are some pictures;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg
Old February 14th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 14 février 2017 14:10:16 UTC+1, OHM Ω http://aviation..derosaweb.net a écritÂ*:
On the side of the AL-KO 2" coupler on my Cobra trailer there is a "keyhole" shaped hole. What is it for? It sure looks like some type of locking mechanism but no one seems to know what it is for. The coupler is marked "CL4 2" AL-KO Elkhart, IN). I contacted AL-KO in the UK and they directed me to AL-KO in the US but I never got a response.

Thanks, John

Here are some pictures;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg

I think that it's a slot where you can intruduce amortise lock. People use that to avoid other people driving away with their trailer ;-).

Old February 14th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Tuesday, 14 February 2017 08:10:16 UTC-5, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On the side of the AL-KO 2" coupler on my Cobra trailer there is a "keyhole" shaped hole. What is it for? It sure looks like some type of locking mechanism but no one seems to know what it is for. The coupler is marked "CL4 2" AL-KO Elkhart, IN). I contacted AL-KO in the UK and they directed me to AL-KO in the US but I never got a response.

Thanks, John

Here are some pictures;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20coupler.jpg

The lock that fits in that hole is available from Spindleberger, and prevents the retraction of the internal part of the fitting that allows the tongue to settle all the way onto the hitch, thus indeed a device to prevent someone from hooking up your trailer to his vehicle.

But iof you lose the key, as I did for mine, it is not too difficult to overcome the device with a large screwdriver and some determination.
Old February 15th 17, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Yep, I don't want anyone to drive away with my "baby". My old trailer's coupler had a hole in the latch in which a simple padlock can be inserted. The ALKO coupler seems less secure? I have twice sent an email to the Elkhart, IN office's contact address from their web site with zero effect. I am going to have to call them.
Old February 15th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I've ordered a lot of alko bits from the uk at http://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/security-40-c.asp ; likely they have what you need. I usually receive orders within a week, at prices that are highly attractive.
Old February 16th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Very nice web site. I did search for "AL-KO Lock" but they are all for some fancier AL-KO couplers or stabilizers. I might send them an email. The hunt continues.

Old February 16th 17, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 6:45:45 AM UTC-8, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Very nice web site. I did search for "AL-KO Lock" but they are all for some fancier AL-KO couplers or stabilizers. I might send them an email. The hunt continues.

Below is the key lock

http://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/bra...lock-731-p.asp
Old October 22nd 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 9:54:18 AM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Below is the key lock

http://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/bra...lock-731-p.asp

Jon - That link is for the small lock with the 7mm diameter barrel. After some measuring I found that I needed the larger 9.5mm diameter lock which Taunton doesn't seem to carry.

I contacted AL-KO in Germany and they said I had a US made AL-KO coupler (2") so they couldn't help. I contacted US AL-KO and they gave me two AL-KO part numbers. The 7mm is 203216 and the 9.5mm is 203141. To determine what you need just measure the inside diameter of the round portion of the lock opening (I used the shanks of metric drill bits). I found what I needed on http://ebay.co.uk or just by googling the part number.

Here are some pictures of the coupler showing the keyhole and the two sizes of locks. http://derosaweb.net/aviation/asw27/.../AL-KO_Coupler

A couple of things to note;

1) At first the lock cylinder wouldn't insert all the way. I found that I had to file just a tiny bit of the sides of the small rectangular portion of the keyhole. There was something blocking the lock's full insertion which appears to have been left over from the manufacturing process.
2) The lock doesn't stay in place permanently. It is only inserted temporarily when being used and is completely removed afterwards.
3) At first I thought the lock wasn't working as the coupler handle could still be lifted. Looking inside the coupler I found that the lock works by preventing the retraction of the spring loaded component that captures the hitch ball. Now that I know this I might have been able to use a long shackle lock instead. Oh well.
4) Strange looking small keys so I took the keys to a local old school locksmith to get duplicates made. He ended up having to use a Ford automotive (!) key blank plus filing down the thickness to make it fit. $5 a key.

Best of luck. John OHM Ω
Old October 23rd 17, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Getting rid of the ? in the subject. It is no longer a question. It is a STATEMENT!