AEROBATIC LEGEND DUANE COLE PASSES AWAY

Old February 4th 04, 08:00 PM
Fitzair4

Default AEROBATIC LEGEND DUANE COLE PASSES AWAY

A very good aerobatic instructor.
Duane Cole was not a show off-stunt airshow pilot, with engine noise,
but a very good performer, teaching pilots how to keep control
of the plane when doing aerobatics.

I watched him many times since the 1968 EAA Rockford days.

Thank you, Duane Cole for your many years of rememberance.
Having 30,000 flight hours, is a lot of experience.

Larry Fitzgerald

http://eaa.org/communications/eaanews/040203_cole.html

Old February 4th 04, 11:29 PM
Ditch

Thank you, Duane Cole for your many years of rememberance.
Having 30,000 flight hours, is a lot of experience.

I have much more respect for Duane than any other modern aviation "legend".
Alas, I have never seen him in person...just read the books and watched some
videos.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old February 5th 04, 02:24 AM
andy asberry

On 04 Feb 2004 19:00:45 GMT, (Fitzair4) wrote:

A very good aerobatic instructor.
Duane Cole was not a show off-stunt airshow pilot, with engine noise,
but a very good performer, teaching pilots how to keep control
of the plane when doing aerobatics.

I watched him many times since the 1968 EAA Rockford days.

Thank you, Duane Cole for your many years of rememberance.
Having 30,000 flight hours, is a lot of experience.

Larry Fitzgerald

http://eaa.org/communications/eaanews/040203_cole.html

A great instructor and pilot. Also a first rate human being.

I had the great fortune of owning a farm under part of Duane's
practice area. I had an 1300' dirt strip marked with painted tires. I
bet a thousand hours is a conservative estimate of the hours I've
watched him. I actually kept a chair under a pecan tree in case he was
flying.

I introduced myself at his Oshkosh booth one year. When I told him I
enjoyed watching, instead of a "Yeah, I'm great" remark, he was
concerned if he had spooked the livestock. After inviting him to use
the strip, I told him I still had a question after reading one of his
books.

I was a nobody but he had me sit down while he explained it. As we
talked, another old timer came up. Turns out he and I only lived about
15 miles apart. He invited me to come fly when we got home. I thought
he was just being cordial and never called him. He called me.

I got to fly seven different airplanes one day. From a J-3 to a
Seneca. THAT is a grand slam for a low-time Cessna driver.

CAVU
Old February 5th 04, 08:16 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

We had a booth accross from Duane and his wife at Arlington and I believe we
also saw him at Copperstate and Oshkosh. As well as a "legend" in
aerobatics, he was a first class gentleman. Sorry to see him go.
Stu Fields