Train Wreck

Old November 1st 17, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

Default Train Wreck

Dang! Got drawn in again!

I’m ashamed to admit I have been following Sean Fidler’s “why didn’t I get chosen” rants on Facebook. It is hard to look away from a train wreck I guess. I am embarrassed for him. I've never seen someone take a decision so badly. So much misinformation and so little space to refute it!

For those who haven’t heard SF wasn’t chosen to represent the US in the 18m at the 2018 WGC in the Czech Republic. He was chosen to go Poland in the 15m class. Hardly an insult but his insecurities got the better of him, he ungraciously declined the 15m class and ever since the world has not been right.

Let me first say I do not represent the selection committee in any way. They have been working hard at this and deserve our thanks not attacks.

The selection process is different this year. This has been known to all the candidates for some time now. First, a pilot qualifies for consideration by getting a ranking of 90% or better by averaging various comps.

In phase two, the pilot’s fellow competitors who scored at least 85% of the winners score in a US Nationals in the last three years rank order the candidates based on who they think would represent the US best at the WGC. Listed below are the pilots who voted in the 18m class.

Fletcher, Robert W.
Leonard, David
Fidler, Sean
Ittner, Gary N.
Nelson, Erik
Clark, Robin
Alexander, Peter T.
Nichols, Steve
Sorenson, Kenneth G.
Indrebo, Rick
Nadler, David R.
Zimmerman, Sam R., III
Murray, John
Arnold, Sarah Kelly
Gawthrop, Bill
Linnekin, Dennis
Gimmey, Ray
Tyler, Allison H., Jr.
Roberts, Sheridan
Mockler, David R.
Cochrane, John H.
Lee, Jim
Welles, Gillette 'Tim'
Deane, Peter
Martin, David V.
Coggins, David L.
Keene, Mark
Franke, Sean

This is a pretty sharp group. In fact it would be hard to assemble such a good group of decision makers any other way. There was well over 90% participation rate I’m told and more details will follow from official sources. What was put forth was their decision.

After the vote the committee can make adjustments to field a good team. For example they may pair up two people who work well together or select someone with experience applicable to the WGC site. I am told that this was not implemented in any of the classes this year.

I can only guess at why others didn’t rank him well in the 18m class. I ranked him low in the 15m because he doesn't do well in a TAT or a MAT task. If he doesn’t have markers around him he tends not to do so well. MAT task aside, there are still quite a few TAT tasks at the WGC and pilot needs to be able to perform if they find themselves separated from the lead gaggle. On top of all that he doesn't work well with others and is an internet troll. Sorry, but we all know it to be true.

So all this talk about deficiencies in the US rules, MAT tasks being bad, flying primarily racing tasks, "true racing tasks", etc. is smoke and mirrors for one thing, wanting to make sailplane racing about following others around the course in gaggles and not making decisions on one's own, hanging back and leap frogging over the guys in front. The pilot who makes a bold decision is really taking a risk.

IGC racing is what it is. Yes, there is a lot of gaggle flying required but in the end we still need to send brilliant pilots who process a full set of soaring skills.

Sean Fidler didn't make the cut (in 18m) and is having a tough time dealing with the fact.

Sean Murphy
Old November 1st 17, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

And why do you feel a need to share all of this?
Old November 1st 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Sorry, I forgot to initial the above.

Old November 1st 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 8:37:55 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to initial the above.

Sorry to bring it to RAS. I replied on Facebook and it was edited out.

Besides it is the Irishman in me. I see a bully, devoid of sense of humor and I have to needle him.

XC

Old November 1st 17, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Well, next time resist the urge to be an idiot. If you have to vent .... go out into the woods. Nobody cares what you think.

Old November 1st 17, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Two idiots now. Great.
Someone smart enough delete this thread.
Must be Holloween.
Old November 1st 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old November 1st 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Well, next time resist the urge to be an idiot. If you have to vent .... go out into the woods. Nobody cares what you think.

Sorry, Dude. He's been pretty hard on several good people and I couldn't resist the urge to call him out. You are right I should show more restraint.

Sean Murphy
Old November 1st 17, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:10:10 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Two idiots now. Great.
Someone smart enough delete this thread.
Must be Holloween.

More idiots than you may think
UH