Glider Crash in Shirley, NY

Old May 1st 13, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Crash in Shirley, NY

Sad news here. Does anyone have any info on this fatal crash? The info I have read says it was a Schweizer 2-32.
Thanks - Renny

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3ee4...ogle news_wsj
Old May 2nd 13, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:02:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Sad news here. Does anyone have any info on this fatal crash? The info I have read says it was a Schweizer 2-32.

Thanks - Renny

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3ee4...ogle news_wsj

More he

http://www.longisland.com/news/04-30...stigation.html
Old May 3rd 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:20:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:02:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Sad news here. Does anyone have any info on this fatal crash? The info I have read says it was a Schweizer 2-32.

Thanks - Renny

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3ee4...ogle news_wsj

More he

http://www.longisland.com/news/04-30...stigation.html

The preliminary NTSB report has been released.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...27X24846&key=1
Old May 3rd 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I'm so sorry for the loss to family and friends.

It appears that another SGS 2-32 spins in? This Schweizer is pretty unforgiving...

Boggs
Old May 3rd 13, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:21:53 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:

It appears that another SGS 2-32 spins in? This Schweizer is pretty unforgiving...

Only if your training was in 2-33s and didn't include spin training. The 2-32 will spin, but it gives you a little warning (not much), and recovers nicely once it departs. Kinda like a T-6, considered one of the best trainers ever built.

Sad that we keep rediscovering our training flaws, assuming this was a spin-in. Which of course, it may not have been.

Sad, regardless.

Kirk
66
Old May 3rd 13, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hand held radio, if unsecured can be a factor.
Old May 4th 13, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings[_2_]

Any reason to think that was so in this case?

Old May 4th 13, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 8:31:58 AM UTC-5, Chris Rollings wrote:
Any reason to think that was so in this case?

No. I just noticed mention of the handheld in the NTSP report and know that fiddling with a handheld on approach can be problematic.

Matt Michael
Old May 4th 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 3, 2013 11:03:29 AM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2013 8:21:53 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:

recovers nicely once it departs.

Agreed but the 32s I've flown required positive forceful control inputs to initiate recovery. Virtually every other glider I've flown will begin to recover merely by relaxing back pressure and applying a touch of opposite rudder. The 32 is one of my favorite machines to fly but it's spin characteristics and recovery are somewhat unique. Whatever the causal factors in this accident it's terrible to lose yet another of our comrades.

Info req: Altitude record breakers Michael Randrup and Walter Shirley Krztalizer Military Aviation 4 May 25th 11 04:42 PM
Glider crash kills Sydney man Mal Soaring 0 December 27th 06 10:03 AM
Glider Crash - Minden? Mitch Soaring 141 September 13th 06 07:31 PM
Scottish Glider Crash Mike the Strike Soaring 22 July 16th 06 11:00 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM