Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

Old June 24th 13, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden[_2_]

Default Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

I tested my 2010 Outback 3.6 automatic with a boxy metal trailer we use to hold our PW5. I just went a couple miles on a freeway and was getting blown around a lot by passing trucks. I've done a lot of towing and this felt quite unsafe. However, with a modern, low-profile glider trailer it should be fine. Before buying my OB, I spoke with a fellow who tows a Sparrowhawk very nicely, but then that's the extreme low end of the scale. So your results would be somewhere in between... it would be great if you could test your trailer with a friend's OB.
Old June 24th 13, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:51:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm curious how a late model Subaru Outback handles the load of a sailplane trailer. I'm looking at a 3.6 liter V6 with auto trans.

If you use an Outback as a tow vehicle, please share your experiences and detail the motor size, transmission, and towing terrain.

Thanks

ben

I have a 2011 Outback with the 4 cyl engine towing a 2001 Cobra Trailer with a Hph 304 CZ inside. It tows fine up to 60 mph. After that it becomes unstable with violent side to side excursions. So I just tow at 55 mph. Interestingly, the trailer did the same thing while being towed by a 1994 Subaru Legacy and a 2004 Subaru Forester. I tried adding weight to the front end of the trailer to no avail.
Old June 25th 13, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Interesting, I towed my glider up to 80mph with my subaru forester 4cyl, in fairly strong winds.

Sounds like the axle may need to be moved on the trailer.

tom

Old June 25th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:45:35 PM UTC-4, tstock wrote:
Interesting, I towed my glider up to 80mph with my subaru forester 4cyl, in fairly strong winds.

Sounds like the axle may need to be moved on the trailer.

tom

I have a 2011 Outback with the 4 cyl engine towing a 2001 Cobra Trailer with a Hph 304 CZ inside. It tows fine up to 60 mph. After that it becomes unstable with violent side to side excursions. So I just tow at 55 mph. Interestingly, the trailer did the same thing while being towed by a 1994 Subaru Legacy and a 2004 Subaru Forester. I tried adding weight to the front end of the trailer to no avail.

Yeah, that sounds like something more than "just" a tow vehicle problem. I use my 2010 VW Sportwagen TDI (front-wheel drive only with helper airbags for the rear coil springs) and it tows an LS8 in a modern Anschau/Komet trailer fine up to 65mph. It's lighter, slightly smaller, and less stiffly sprung than the Outback.

P3
Old June 25th 13, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:34:07 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Eric,
What mileage do you get with your Diesel when towing the LS8?
Old June 25th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

Old June 25th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

The swaying could be due to worn pins/fasteners at or near the axle. I had a PIK trailer with this problem where the two tow rails bolted to the axle. When I removed the bolts and reamed out the holes and installed the next larger size bolts, the problem went away.
Old June 25th 13, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:40:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:34:07 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like something more than "just" a tow vehicle problem.. I use my 2010 VW Sportwagen TDI (front-wheel drive only with helper airbags for the rear coil springs) and it tows an LS8 in a modern Anschau/Komet trailer fine up to 65mph. It's lighter, slightly smaller, and less stiffly sprung than the Outback.

Eric,

What mileage do you get with your Diesel when towing the LS8?

Without the trailer I typically average low 40mpg range. The trailer knocks off between 6-10 mpg depending on terrain.

I don't use this car for contests or longer trips, while it has plenty of room and torque, it is getting on to maxing out the gross weight limits with any amount of gear and the trailer. It's great for trips to local airports and the occasional retrieve (not that I ever land out).

P3
Old June 25th 13, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:15:02 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

I use a 2012 VW TDI Sportwagen to tow a heavy Cobra with a Ventus 2CX (two sets of tips, lots of spares, etc.). Went from New England to South Carolina without any problems, average 30mpg at 70mph. Didn't sway a single time in the whole trip (wind, passing trucks, etc.) Great handling car. Have to add the airbags. What brand did you install P3?

Juan
Z8
Old June 26th 13, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:17:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:15:02 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

I use a 2012 VW TDI Sportwagen to tow a heavy Cobra with a Ventus 2CX (two sets of tips, lots of spares, etc.). Went from New England to South Carolina without any problems, average 30mpg at 70mph. Didn't sway a single time in the whole trip (wind, passing trucks, etc.) Great handling car. Have to add the airbags. What brand did you install P3?

Juan

Z8

Firestone coil-rite load levelers from eTrailer.