Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

Old June 26th 13, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:14:19 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:17:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:15:02 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

I use a 2012 VW TDI Sportwagen to tow a heavy Cobra with a Ventus 2CX (two sets of tips, lots of spares, etc.). Went from New England to South Carolina without any problems, average 30mpg at 70mph. Didn't sway a single time in the whole trip (wind, passing trucks, etc.) Great handling car. Have to add the airbags. What brand did you install P3?

Juan

Z8

Firestone coil-rite load levelers from eTrailer.

Are your TDIs manual or automatic transmission?
Old June 26th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:49:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:14:19 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

Are your TDIs manual or automatic transmission?

Automatic in my case.
Old June 26th 13, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:11:10 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:49:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Are your TDIs manual or automatic transmission?

Automatic in my case.

Funny story. This is my third VW Diesel. The first was an early 1980s MK1 Rabbit (Golf) which churned out a whopping 50hp or so of pure, unadulterated power. It was at serious risk of being overtaken on the road by bicycles. However, when I bought it used as my first car, it already had a tow hitch. Wishful thinking?

In 1988, John Campbell arranged for me to fly my first race at Dannsville. I just had to drive out to Ridge Soaring to pick up the 1-36 on a Gherlein trailer. The direct route between Ridge Soaring and Dannsville goes through the Endless Mountains region (not mountains by Alps or Rockies standards - more like hills). But, with only 50hp and 2,000 lbs of steel and aluminum dragging along behind it, the poor little Rabbit was maxed out. I was often down in second gear struggling to maintain 20mph on some of the steeper grades. We made it (eventually), but that was the end of towing with my first diesel. It began a long series of car buys that were driven by the need to tow glider trailers.

P3