New Year's Day Flight

Old January 2nd 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Year's Day Flight

Patti wanted to fly and it was sunny at Moriarty so we went to the
airport.Â* It was very cold so we elected to take the Skywagon (cuz it
has a heater).Â* Taxiing out we met Mike Abernathy rigging his Stemme to
attempt to reach the wave on the Sangre de Christo Mountains about 50
miles to the north.Â* We flew a 150 NM cross country and, upon returning,
Patti said, "Let's get the Stemme out", so we did!

By this time it had warmed up considerably (maybe 50 deg F) but it wave
was a very long way north.Â* So we headed west towards Sandia Peak where
we found very weak wave, about 1.5 - 2 kts netto.Â* I told Patti that,
according to the RUC sounding, the wave wouldn't go much above 14,000'
in this area.Â* She found wave at about 12,800' and, taking turns, we
managed to climb to 15,200' before the wave shut off completely.

We were happy to have flown both aircraft on New Year's Day, so we
headed home for a beer.
--
Dan, 5J
Old January 2nd 18, 03:45 AM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

[quote=Dan Marotta;962383]Patti wanted to fly and it was sunny at Moriarty ...

We were happy to have flown both aircraft on New Year's Day, so we
headed home for a beer.
--
Dan, 5J[/QUOTE

Congratulations on a wonderful New Year's Day! Thanks for sharing your experience...and it sounds like it pays to listen to Patti!
Old January 2nd 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....and it sounds like it pays to listen to Patti!

Yup.Â* And, as we all know, time spent in the air is not deducted from
our lives.
--
Dan, 5J