337 for vent covers?

Old November 9th 05, 10:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default 337 for vent covers?

http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true? What would an
inspector be looking for? Too much cooling for the backseat and too hot
up front?

-Robert

Old November 9th 05, 11:15 PM
Newps

The best vent covers ever are made by this guy.

http://www.saircorp.com/sair_049.htm

I used them for a season when I had my 182. If somebody wants 'em...$25.

Old November 10th 05, 12:04 AM
Robert M. Gary

Will they fit a Mooney?

Old November 10th 05, 01:21 AM
Jim Burns

See AC 43-210 about determining whether or not you need a 337.
y. Major Alteration. An alteration that is not listed in the aircraft,
engine, or propeller specifications that also fits one or more of the
following: An alteration that might appreciably affect airworthiness by
changing weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant
operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting
airworthiness; is not done by accepted practices; or cannot be done by
elementary operations.

z. Major Repair. A repair that, if improperly done, might affect weight,
balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight
characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness, or is not done
by accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Jim

ups.com...

Old November 10th 05, 01:35 AM
Jim Burns

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...a/2_001_00.pdf

Has a decision making flow chart as well as other determination procedures
that the inspectors follow to determine if you need a 337.

Old November 10th 05, 02:30 AM
Robert M. Gary

Seems like a lot of crap to go through just to replace some plastic
vent covers so the interior looks nice.

-Robert

Old November 10th 05, 03:09 AM

Put them in and don't worry about it. They were always there.

Old November 10th 05, 04:33 AM

On 9-Nov-2005, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

http://www.planeplastics.com is telling me I need to get a 337 to
replace my plastic air vent covers. Is that true?

You don't say the type of airplane or the nature of the "air vent covers"
that you are replacing. However, an owner/operator is given certain
latitude in dealing with non-structural interior components provided that no
structural member is involved in assembly, repair, or replacement, and there
is no change in the weight and balance. If you can stretch the description
of the part to a "decorative furnishing of the cabin" there is no issue with
your replacing or repairing it yourself.

For what it's worth, we recently installed several parts from
Planeplastics.com in our Arrow, and I described the process to this group.
Here's a link to the thread on Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...cbe95059885c03

We never received any warning from Planeplastics.com about the need for a
337.
--
-Elliott Drucker
Old November 10th 05, 03:12 PM
Jim Burns

Yep, it's a lot to look through, but in my opinion it repeatedly points back
to the definition of Major Repair or Alteration. I don't think that the
vent covers affect the airworthiness by any of the listed methods, install
is done by accepted practices and can be done by elementary operations. I
just don't think it meets the definition of a major repair or alteration.

Old November 10th 05, 04:05 PM
Ben Smith

While I'm not sure about your original question, I've seen many instances
where people just place a strip of duct tape over their vents in the winter.