Wing Covers Pro/Cons

Old April 2nd 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
TF

Default Wing Covers Pro/Cons

Just purchased my first plane and have it tied down. It has a canopy cover
but no wing covers. Walking around the airport I only notice one other
plane with wing covers. I would have thought wing covers would be good
protection. During the wnter the rentals would have them to prevent frost
but I didn't take notice of the others. Now that I have to worry about this
what's the story on the pro/cons of wing covers ?

Base in NJ.

Thanks.

Old April 2nd 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

I suspect the main problem is cost. I have a full set of Kennon
cabin, cowl, wing, and elevator covers for mine, and before I found a
reasonable hangar used the covers year-round. I can see the
difference on the finish between covered and uncovered areas. I still
use the wing covers in the hangar since the roof leaks.

Pros
1. In winter, keeps the surfaces ice free.
2. Protects from dirt and UV - paint holds up much better.
3. Keeps rain out of the tanks and interior.
4. Tail cover keeps birds out of the tail cone, cowl cover keeps
them out of the engine.

Cons
a. Additional capital cost
b. Time to uncover/recover. Putting covers on can be a pain when
it's windy, though you can develop techniques to help.

My overall opinion is that the covers are an excellent way to protect
your investment. Don't use nylon, though; go with the canvas covers,
as they breathe better after it rains.

Old April 2nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 5:09 am, "TF" wrote:
Just purchased my first plane and have it tied down. It has a canopy cover
but no wing covers. Walking around the airport I only notice one other
plane with wing covers. I would have thought wing covers would be good
protection. During the wnter the rentals would have them to prevent frost
but I didn't take notice of the others. Now that I have to worry about this
what's the story on the pro/cons of wing covers ?

Base in NJ.

Thanks.

Are your wings metal or fabric? Wing covers are almost a requirement
for fabric planes that live outside because the sun eats the fabric.

-Robert

Old April 4th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tony roberts

Pros:
No ice/frost/snow on critical surfaces.,

Cons:
Time taking them on and off.

Comment:
It takes much longer to clear a wing of ice, than it does to remove a
wing cover. If you live where the temerature drops much below zero, I
cannot think of a single argument against wing covers.

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old April 4th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Where would I get information on these?
Not only who makes and sells them but also,
what they are made of?
I've been thinking of this for a while and although
my plane isn't finished yet, I may have no choice but
to keep it outside.
Lou

Old April 4th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

On Apr 4, 5:04 am, "Lou" wrote:
Where would I get information on these?
Not only who makes and sells them but also,
what they are made of?
I've been thinking of this for a while and although
my plane isn't finished yet, I may have no choice but
to keep it outside.
Lou

Do a google search for Kennon. There are other vendors also - Bruce
Custom Covers.

The web sites describe the benefits of their particular covers.

Old April 4th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 4/4/2007 2:21:41 AM, tony roberts wrote:

If you live where the temerature drops much below zero, I
cannot think of a single argument against wing covers.

I was told by my aircraft's previous owner that covers can scratch the paint.
Any truth to this?

--
Peter
Old April 4th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Peter R. wrote:
On 4/4/2007 2:21:41 AM, tony roberts wrote:

If you live where the temerature drops much below zero, I
cannot think of a single argument against wing covers.

I was told by my aircraft's previous owner that covers can scratch the paint.
Any truth to this?

Depends on the cover.

Some makers make a big deal about the non-scratching qualities of their
covers.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 4th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

I was told by my aircraft's previous owner that covers can scratch the paint.
Any truth to this?

Depends on the cover.

Some makers make a big deal about the non-scratching qualities of their
covers.

I'd think it would be just like with canopy covers. It doesn't matter
what material the cover is made from, if there is dirt on the plane,
it's going to scratch when the cover moves.
Old April 4th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 4, 8:30 am, "Paul kgyy" wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:04 am, "Lou" wrote:

Where would I get information on these?
Not only who makes and sells them but also,
what they are made of?
I've been thinking of this for a while and although
my plane isn't finished yet, I may have no choice but
to keep it outside.
Lou

Do a google search for Kennon. There are other vendors also - Bruce
Custom Covers.

The web sites describe the benefits of their particular covers.

I can recommend Bruce's. I've had a Bruce's cover for my Mooney for
about 5 years. At one point it shrunk a bit. Even after 3 years they
sent me a new one, no charge.

-Robert