Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability

Old March 25th 04, 06:13 AM
Caracole

Default Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability

We recently had a pilot show up and ask if we would aerotow him in his
Sparrow Hawk. Our first question was to ask if the glider was
licensed. His reply was that it was not required to be licensed. Our
second question was if he had insurance on the glider. He replied by
asking if insurance was a requirement for being towed. Our reply was
that if the glider is not insured, that we would be accepting
liability. We also said that we would need to check with our
insurance carrier, to see if our policy would even cover us while
towing an ultralight sailplane. We directed the pilot to resources to
pursue an airworthiness certificate for the glider.

This pilot has, in the meantime, found another FBO who was willing to
tow him.

We have now received the following reply from our insurance carrier,
SSA's group plan with Costello. This plan does not cover towplanes
while towing ultralights. If the light sailplane has FAA
airworthiness (Experimental), towing it would be covered by Costello.
If the light sailplane has FAA airworthiness (Experimental), it can be
insured by Costello for hull and liability.
If the light sailplane has no FAA airworthiness certificate, Costello
offers no hull/liability coverage. There may be other insurance
sources.

Operators should check their individual coverage, if they are with a
different insurance carrier, and are concerned about their liability.
Towpilots should understand they may be towing without coverage.

M Eiler

Old March 25th 04, 08:41 PM
Ian Forbes

Caracole wrote:

We recently had a pilot show up and ask if we would aerotow him in his
Sparrow Hawk. Our first question was to ask if the glider was
licensed.

My first question would be, is the pilot competent, current and licenced
to fly.

But then I don't live in the USA...

Ian

Old March 25th 04, 10:36 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ian Forbes wrote:
Caracole wrote:

We recently had a pilot show up and ask if we would aerotow him in his
Sparrow Hawk. Our first question was to ask if the glider was
licensed.

My first question would be, is the pilot competent, current and licenced
to fly.

But then I don't live in the USA...

That's why your response would not be efficient here. The SparrowHawk is
sold in the ultralight category ( 155 pounds), and is not required to
be licensed. There is no point in spending time on the pilot's
qualifications if you are certain the glider doesn't meet the
requirements of your insurance policy. If the pilot shows up in a
licensed glider, I'm sure the questions proceed immediately to the
pilot's qualifications.

A few SparrowHawks are licensed, but not most them, at least at this point.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 26th 04, 06:23 AM
Vaughn Simon

"Ian Forbes" wrote in message
news
Caracole wrote:

We recently had a pilot show up and ask if we would aerotow him in his
Sparrow Hawk. Our first question was to ask if the glider was
licensed.

My first question would be, is the pilot competent, current and licenced
to fly.

Because it is an ultralight aircraft, no pilot's license is required in
the United States, so the license question would be somewhat moot.
"competent and current" are always great first questions.

Vaughn

Old March 26th 04, 06:32 AM
Vaughn Simon

"Caracole" wrote in message
om...

We have now received the following reply from our insurance carrier,
SSA's group plan with Costello. This plan does not cover towplanes
while towing ultralights. If the light sailplane has FAA
airworthiness (Experimental), towing it would be covered by Costello.
If the light sailplane has FAA airworthiness (Experimental), it can be
insured by Costello for hull and liability.
If the light sailplane has no FAA airworthiness certificate, Costello
offers no hull/liability coverage. There may be other insurance
sources.

It is interesting that aviation is increasingly being regulated far
more stringently by the insurance companies than by the FAA. The term "Self
Regulation" does not quite apply except in the very general sense that the
regulation comes from within the aviation industry, so I guess we could more
accurately call it "Market-Based regulation", or even "Insurance-Based
regulation".

Vaughn

Old March 26th 04, 07:12 AM
BTIZ

Will this all change with the coming of the "Sport Pilot Certificate" and
the "Sport Aircraft" certification?? I'm sure the Sparrow Hawk will fit into
that category.

That will make it an "aircraft" or glider, and not an ultra light, but a
Sport Aircraft. I'm sure no one wants a Sport Pilot or Sport "Glider", did I
not read somewhere that Sport aircraft category is limited to 2000ft AGL?
and a set "distance limit" from home, and also the holder of a Sport Pilot
Certificate?

We all await the final decision on "Sport", and how it impacts the soaring
community, as I understand it, a SGS 1-26 will qualify to be flown in the
Sport category by a "sport certificated pilot". But many have flown the 1-26
to great heights and distances.

Time to study up on the "Sport" restrictions and capabilities, of both pilot
and aircraft.

BT

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
news

om...

Old March 26th 04, 10:33 PM
Mark James Boyd

It is interesting that aviation is increasingly being regulated far
more stringently by the insurance companies than by the FAA. The term "Self
Regulation" does not quite apply except in the very general sense that the
regulation comes from within the aviation industry, so I guess we could more
accurately call it "Market-Based regulation", or even "Insurance-Based
regulation".

Hmmm...insurance companies have driven a good deal of choices
in all walks of life. Motorcycle helmet laws, airbags,
mandatory seat belts, etc. were strongly
lobbied by insurance in CA to reduce variability of claims.

Recently, I was told auto-tow would not be allowed
at a public airport which averages 7 operations a day, due to
liability. At least two local airstrip owners within the past
five years have changed their minds and won't allow
aerotow out due to liability.

Recently, a group of three men bought a 1955 Cessna 310,
only to find that they could not be insured until they had 100+
hours in the plane. Finding an instructor with that many hours
was challenging too...

When I bought into our PW-5 syndicate, the insurer would
only insure pilots with a glider PPL. No solo students allowed...

I personally like the insurance way of evaluating things, but
I abhor their involvement lobbying in politics. Fortunately,
although I've seen insurers muck with auto laws (the
helmet law), I've seen no action on their part to
try to change glider regulations...

One thing the insurance companies have NOT done to glider
pilots for insurance is require a medical exam. They'd have
the power to ask for this despite the regs. I think the
actuaries have found that glider accidents caused by
medical conditions (aside from drugs/alchohol) are quite rare...
This was a bit of a help to the folks who were trying to
make sport pilot happen for power (since there was already some
positive glider data). This also seems to indicate to me that
the insurance company (non-political) policies are quite good...

As far as sport pilot goes, I'm hoping that after the
first round of approval, a second set of endorsement possibilities
will appear. I'm hoping a sport pilot may fly at altitudes higher than
10,000 if they get oxygen system training and aeromedical
training from a CFI, for example. Or perhaps night flight
endorsement after 3 hours of dual at night. Reduced visibility
endorsement (equivalent to the VFR PPL vis and cloud clearance minimums)
by completing 3 hours of simulated or actual IMC. Etc...
The change to make ground-launch an endorsement vs. a flight test
shows precedent. I hope this becomes true for Sport Pilot
also. Otherwise, with the 10,000 ft altitude restriction,
Sparrowhawk is unlikely to want to make a Sport version (at
least that was one downside that Greg Cole communicated to me).

This seems really reasonable and efficient to
make these limitations removeable by endorsement, because it
then would nicely also dovetail into a PPL...

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 26th 04, 10:35 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article VQP8c.9144$1I5.308@fed1read01,
BTIZ wrote:
Will this all change with the coming of the "Sport Pilot Certificate" and
the "Sport Aircraft" certification?? I'm sure the Sparrow Hawk will fit into
that category.

The Vne limit and 10,000 ft altitude Sport restrictions
discourage some glider makers from making
a glider a sport category aircraft...

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 27th 04, 01:15 AM
mat Redsell

When I was inquiring about towing an ultralight the FAA said that an "N"
numbered aircraft can't pull one without an "N" number.... this might also
be worth looking into.

-mat

AL-12: New ultralight sailplane ISoar Soaring 4 March 24th 04 02:52 AM
Russian jet powered sailplane John Soaring 4 February 12th 04 01:03 AM
Liability after sale Splat! Home Built 6 October 1st 03 01:20 PM
Ultralight magazine August 1981 Gilan Home Built 0 July 20th 03 04:34 AM