Seaplane down off Miami Beach....

Old December 20th 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Seaplane down off Miami Beach....

Just saw the news clip of the airplane going into the water.

Got an URL for that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid...ws-miami&hl=en

Old December 20th 05, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks, Jim.

Here's the write-up that contains the actual video URL:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/20/miami.crash/

(You have to suffer through a Dodge truck commercial to see it, though...)

The wing clearly departed the airframe before the crash. I wonder if these
old birds are simply fatigued?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My guess is that they had a loose or broken fuel line,
caught fire and the fuel vapor exploded and the fire melted
the spar enough for it to fail.. The airplane seems to have
been very sturdy, since the fuselage is intact after the
impact.

Thanks.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

Old December 20th 05, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This source saids 19 dead, but it also saids 14 plus two crews were on
board, huh? Doesn't that equal 16?

Old December 20th 05, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This source,
http://www.channel4.com/news/content...jsp?id=1056407,

Old December 20th 05, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert Chamber introduced us to a Mallard owner at Bridgeport last summer. The owner told us that he would not land his plane in any salt water.

That would be Jack Bart. I know him from my days in Ops at Bridgeport.
I flew in his Mallard a few years back up to Nashua. Man, does that
thing handle like a truck. Built-in delay to roll inputs, but those
1340 Pratts sound awesome. He recently added a Twin Beech (loves round
engines I guess)

Old December 20th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My guess is that they had a loose or broken fuel line,
caught fire and the fuel vapor exploded and the fire melted
the spar enough for it to fail.

Boy, I sure hope that's "all" it was. (Who'd ever think we'd be saying that
kind of stuff?)

With everyone describing an "explosion" (which the video tends to
support) -- and Chalk's not having to do much in the way of security
screening, as a small carrier -- this could easily have been some kind of a
nut-job with a shoe bomb and a "cause".

And *then* we'd start seeing all sorts of stupid proposals for "enhanced
security" that we don't want or need.

Sad to say, a mechanical problem is the best-case scenario.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm wondering if fitting turbine engines on the old airframes
didn't pull something loose in the wing/mount.

This thing's just a heart breaker. I see them flying all the
time when I'm in Miami. They've been flying off Watson Island
forever. I've always thought it would be fun to fly with them
over to the Bahamas.