Miami, Florida, airport and FBO recommendations

Old May 3rd 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Miami, Florida, airport and FBO recommendations

I might have to attend a business meeting in June in Miami, Florida, and am
looking at flying my Bonanza from NY State to Miami.

Any recommendations for a preferred airport and FBO? Judging by the
comments on Airnav, it appears that Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB) seems to be the
most friendly to a single-engine GA pilot.

Also, what about weather in Florida during early June? I suspect that
t-storm avoidance will be the name of the game, but is there a better time
to fly (early AM or late PM) to have the best chance of getting into and
out of the Florida peninsula?

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
[...]
Also, what about weather in Florida during early June? I suspect that
t-storm avoidance will be the name of the game, but is there a better time
to fly (early AM or late PM) to have the best chance of getting into and
out of the Florida peninsula?

I can't offer much advice about specific facilities around Miami. However,
as far as the weather goes...

Generally speaking, any time up until noon is fine. Usually the first hour
or so after noon can be fine too. After that, things get iffy, and don't
start calming down until after 6pm or so. 7-8pm or later is more reliable.

However, it's also the case that (again, generally) the thunderstorms are
well-defined and spread out. Unless there's one right over the start or end
of your flight, you can usually navigate around them. Even with the typical
low visibility around Florida, you can usually clearly see the position of
the thunderstorm by the rain falling.

Which brings up another point: for most successful navigation around the
weather, you'll probably be flying below the clouds in visual conditions.
Be sure to be on the lookout for very tall radio antennas, especially given
the relatively low visibilities that prevail.

Pete

Old May 3rd 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message...
I might have to attend a business meeting in June in Miami, Florida, and am
looking at flying my Bonanza from NY State to Miami.

Any recommendations for a preferred airport and FBO? Judging by the
comments on Airnav, it appears that Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB) seems to be the
most friendly to a single-engine GA pilot.

Also, what about weather in Florida during early June? I suspect that
t-storm avoidance will be the name of the game, but is there a better time
to fly (early AM or late PM) to have the best chance of getting into and
out of the Florida peninsula?

Where exactly are you going in Miami?
South, North, Northeast, Southeast?

The AM is the best time to fly into Miami
without having to vector around the storms.
But most storms in Miami don't last very long.

Tamiami is one of the better operations in South Florida.
North Miami I would suggest KHWO-North Perry.
Deep South Miami you have Homestead.

David

Old May 3rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FLAV8R wrote:

Where exactly are you going in Miami?
South, North, Northeast, Southeast?

South Beach. The meeting and social events would be held at the Lowes
Hotel:

http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/miamibeach/

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

Which brings up another point: for most successful navigation around the
weather, you'll probably be flying below the clouds in visual conditions.
Be sure to be on the lookout for very tall radio antennas, especially given
the relatively low visibilities that prevail.

Thanks, Pete. As a tactical aid, my Bonanza is equipped with downlinked
NEXRAD via WSI and a stormscope, although these days transmitting on my
number two radio interferes with the stormscope receiver and results in
numerous erroneous indications.

--
Peter
Old May 3rd 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message ...
South Beach. The meeting and social events would be held at the Lowes
Hotel:
http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/miamibeach/
Peter

South Beach would be easily accessed from KTMB www.airnav.com/airport/Ktmb
If there is free drinks and food, count me in.

Maybe a little side trip to Marathon Key for some fresh seafood.
Don't forget to stop by Joe's if you like seafood
11 Washington Ave
Miami Beach
(305) 673-4611

David

Old May 3rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"FLAV8R" wrote

The AM is the best time to fly into Miami
without having to vector around the storms.
But most storms in Miami don't last very long.

Right, and immediately after the storm, the sun comes out and the humidity
goes up to approximately 5,000 percent! g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 3rd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FLAV8R wrote:
The AM is the best time to fly into Miami
without having to vector around the storms.
But most storms in Miami don't last very long.

Be aware that there is often fog in the early mornings in north Florida if
you've planned a fuel stop along the way. Even the thickest of fog will burn
off by 1000 most days. I used to have regular business in Lake City, FL and if
I didn't come in the night before I wasn't coming in at all until much later in
the morning.

Tamiami is one of the better operations in South Florida.
North Miami I would suggest KHWO-North Perry.
Deep South Miami you have Homestead.

Nobody use Opa Locka any more for northern Miami? And yes, if you're planning
to drive down to the upper keys for any reason while you're there, Homestead is
the place to land.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 4th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FLAV8R wrote:

South Beach would be easily accessed from KTMB www.airnav.com/airport/Ktmb
If there is free drinks and food, count me in.

LOL!

Maybe a little side trip to Marathon Key for some fresh seafood.
Don't forget to stop by Joe's if you like seafood

Now you have me thinking. While everyone else is getting together for
dinner at some nearby restaurant, I will be taking a flight down to the
Keys. That'll learn 'em.

--
Peter
Old May 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

Be aware that there is often fog in the early mornings in north Florida if
you've planned a fuel stop along the way.

Preliminary flight planning shows that it will take me about 5.5 hours of
flying time and at least one fuel stop. Even if I left at sunrise I wound
not make it down there until noon or so.

--
Peter