Miami, Florida, airport and FBO recommendations

Old May 4th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Miami, Florida, airport and FBO recommendations

If you go into MTH, I highly recommend taking a cab to Keys Fisheries!

Old May 4th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Don't let em spook you... T-storms can happen any time in S. Fla...
Yes, they are more frequent after noon, but that doesn't mean that at
precisely noon the state goes into aviation lock down... I have flown
all over that state at all times of the day numerous times over the
past 25 years - for example, plowing right down the West coast three
miles off shore to get to Fun-N-Sun by 8PM...
Most trips I never saw a bumper, other times I did have to deviate 20
miles or so, once I had to land and wait 2 hours for a line of T-storms
to pass over at 10AM, and then went back to motoring North..
Fly smart, deviate around the bumpers, and don't worry about what time
you get there after noon...

denny

Old May 4th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. ..

Be aware that there is often fog in the early mornings in north Florida if
you've planned a fuel stop along the way. Even the thickest of fog will
burn off by 1000 most days.

By following this thread to the letter if I want the play it safe there is
only about a 3 hour block of daylight that can be flown in FL.

Old May 4th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Denny wrote:

Fly smart, deviate around the bumpers, and don't worry about what time
you get there after noon...

Thanks, Denny.

--
Peter
Old May 4th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message
By following this thread to the letter if I want the play it safe there is
only about a 3 hour block of daylight that can be flown in FL.

Depends on your definition of "play it safe".

If you really want to play it safe, stay on the ground.

But yes, in some sense if you want to reduce your chances of having to deal
with ANY of the adverse weather Florida has to offer to practically nil,
there's not much time during the day during which you can fly.

Of course, most pilots recognize that the adverse weather is manageable even
at other times, and don't restrict their flying to those times. But if you
really want to "play it safe" as possible, you're right. Three hours or so
is all you've got (and even that doesn't give you a 100% guarantee).

Pete

Old May 10th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
I might have to attend a business meeting in June in Miami, Florida, and am
looking at flying my Bonanza from NY State to Miami.

Any recommendations for a preferred airport and FBO? Judging by the
comments on Airnav, it appears that Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB) seems to be the
most friendly to a single-engine GA pilot.

Also, what about weather in Florida during early June? I suspect that
t-storm avoidance will be the name of the game, but is there a better time
to fly (early AM or late PM) to have the best chance of getting into and
out of the Florida peninsula?

I went into KTMB when I flew down there. I parked at Reliance and they
seemed to be a good FBO. Go down the west side of town at 2000 ft and
stay west of Krome Avenue and out of the B space. Miami Approach was
good to work with. Keep your eyes open .. there was a lot of VFR
traffic around there.
Old May 10th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
FLAV8R wrote:

Where exactly are you going in Miami?
South, North, Northeast, Southeast?

South Beach. The meeting and social events would be held at the Lowes
Hotel:

http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/miamibeach/

If your renting a car (recommended since there's lots to see around
Miami) .. go north out of the airport to SW 88th St, then east to US 1,
northeast on US 1, then get on Brickell when you see the signs, then up
to McArthur Causeway (by the Heat Arena) and it goes right out to South
Beach. It goes right by the cruise ship port.

The Palmetto (826) and Dolphin (836) get pretty backed up sometimes ..
I usually avoid them.

Lincoln Park Mall is right there in Miami Beach .. lots of nice outdoor
restaurants and shops to browse around.

Old May 10th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Otis Winslow wrote:

If your renting a car (recommended since there's lots to see around
Miami) .. go north out of the airport to SW 88th St, then east to US 1,
northeast on US 1, then get on Brickell when you see the signs, then up
to McArthur Causeway (by the Heat Arena) and it goes right out to South
Beach. It goes right by the cruise ship port.

Thank you, Otis. Great advice there.

--
Peter