Flying Lessons

Old September 20th 05, 07:36 AM
Steve

Default Flying Lessons

I'm considering taking up flying as a hobby. It's something I've been wanting to do
since I was a kid. The ultimate goal is to learn how to fly lear jets or should I say private
light jets. What flight training classes would I have to take and how many hrs would I
have to perform. I can pretty much fly as many times a week as necessary to get the
training my job schedule is highly flexible. I have noticed that most courses run from 5
to 7 k. To get a private pilots license. But what would it take to have the licensing to fly
a lear. And can those courses be taken right after getting my PPL. I saw where I could
get a PPL for 8,000 and get instrument training for another 6,000. Is there another
course needed to fly a lear and can all the classes be taken concurrently.

Old September 20th 05, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

[...]

As long as you've got the time and the aptitude, all it takes is money,
Steve. Lots and lots of money.

Getting type-rated in a Lear won't be cheap. I have no idea how much -- but
I'll bet a bunch of people here know!

Good luck!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 20th 05, 02:15 PM
Dan Luke

"Steve" wrote:

...But what would it take to have the licensing to fly
a lear.

You will need an Airplane, Multi Engine Land rating and type rating for
almost any jet you want to fly. Both require instruction, written tests and
check rides.

And can those courses be taken right after getting my PPL.

Yes. In fact, you could do it all at the same time, but it would most likely
be impractical.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old September 20th 05, 10:23 PM
Steve

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:15:53 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote:

...But what would it take to have the licensing to fly
a lear.

You will need an Airplane, Multi Engine Land rating and type rating for
almost any jet you want to fly. Both require instruction, written tests and
check rides.

And can those courses be taken right after getting my PPL.

Yes. In fact, you could do it all at the same time, but it would most likely
be impractical.

Thanks for your input Dan. Why would you consider it impratical?
Old September 21st 05, 12:04 AM
Dan Luke

"Steve" wrote:

Yes. In fact, you could do it all at the same time, but it would most
likely
be impractical.

Thanks for your input Dan. Why would you consider it impratical?

Awfully expensive to learn the basics in a bizjet. Doing s-turns across
a road in a Lear would be fun, I guess. Still, if money is no object, no
doubt you could train ab initio in a Citation or similar. If you
actually do this, it should make for some fascinating usenet posts.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 21st 05, 12:20 AM
Jay Beckman

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote:

Yes. In fact, you could do it all at the same time, but it would most
likely
be impractical.

Thanks for your input Dan. Why would you consider it impratical?

Awfully expensive to learn the basics in a bizjet. Doing s-turns across a
road in a Lear would be fun, I guess.

SNIP

Provided you are doing them in Texas over I-10 ...

:O)

Jay B

Old September 20th 05, 02:31 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:36:01 GMT, "Steve" wrote in
::

I'm considering taking up flying as a hobby.

Actually, flying is a bit more than a hobby like Chess or wood
working, as an airman commands the public trust over those whom he
flies and whom he carries as passengers; flying is a life and death
matter after all.

It's something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid. The ultimate goal is to learn
how to fly lear jets or should I say private light jets.

Whose Lear jets are you planning to fly, you're own? Or are you
considering commercial operations for your hobby? You should be aware
they require two flight crew as well as a type rating and recurrent
training. Some light jets only require one pilot.

What flight training classes would I have to take and how many hrs would I
have to perform.

Flying jet aircraft is probably going to require a minimum of 500
hours of flight time and an instrument rating before an insurance
company will consider you.

I can pretty much fly as many times a week as necessary to get the
training my job schedule is highly flexible.

A minimum of two 1-hour lessons a week is required for good progress
in flight training, in my opinion. There are cram courses that
guarantee you a certificate in only a matter of days, but I have no
experience with them, and personally wouldn't recommend them.

I have noticed that most courses run from 5
to 7 k. To get a private pilots license. But what would it take to have the licensing to fly
a lear.

It depends. Do you plan to do that commercially or privately? You
might want to peruse the FAA licensing regulations:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...14cfrv2_02.tpl

And can those courses be taken right after getting my PPL.

While it is not contrary to Federal Aviation Regulations to receive
that training concurrently with your Private Pilot training, it would
require significant time and effort.

I saw where I could
get a PPL for 8,000 and get instrument training for another 6,000. Is there another
course needed to fly a lear and can all the classes be taken concurrently.

Why are you in such a hurry?

Old September 20th 05, 10:39 PM
Steve

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:31:21 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:36:01 GMT, "Steve" wrote in
: :

I'm considering taking up flying as a hobby.

Actually, flying is a bit more than a hobby like Chess or wood
working, as an airman commands the public trust over those whom he
flies and whom he carries as passengers; flying is a life and death
matter after all.

It's something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid. The ultimate goal is to learn
how to fly lear jets or should I say private light jets.

Whose Lear jets are you planning to fly, you're own? Or are you
considering commercial operations for your hobby? You should be aware
they require two flight crew as well as a type rating and recurrent
training. Some light jets only require one pilot.

Eventually once all certificates are acquired yes I do plan to fly my
own. I'm not really wanting to be involved with working for anyone.
Mostly just to visit folks and attend events in other cities and
states and the occassional airplane only access fishing trip. Maybe a
flight over the backwoods of Alaska stuff like that.

What flight training classes would I have to take and how many hrs would I
have to perform.

Flying jet aircraft is probably going to require a minimum of 500
hours of flight time and an instrument rating before an insurance
company will consider you.

I can pretty much fly as many times a week as necessary to get the
training my job schedule is highly flexible.

A minimum of two 1-hour lessons a week is required for good progress
in flight training, in my opinion. There are cram courses that
guarantee you a certificate in only a matter of days, but I have no
experience with them, and personally wouldn't recommend them.

Yea, I wouldn't do that I have an ongoing interest in living a long
life

I have noticed that most courses run from 5
to 7 k. To get a private pilots license. But what would it take to have the licensing to fly
a lear.

It depends. Do you plan to do that commercially or privately? You
might want to peruse the FAA licensing regulations:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...14cfrv2_02.tpl

And can those courses be taken right after getting my PPL.

While it is not contrary to Federal Aviation Regulations to receive
that training concurrently with your Private Pilot training, it would
require significant time and effort.

I saw where I could
get a PPL for 8,000 and get instrument training for another 6,000. Is there another
course needed to fly a lear and can all the classes be taken concurrently.

Why are you in such a hurry?

Not really in a hurry. Maybe the question didn't come out right or I
don't understand the literature I'm reading from these flight school
ads I'm reading.

Example I read an ad that said I could get Mutilple Engine rating for
10k. Does that mean they take from 0 to PPL to Instruments to Multiple
engine for 10k or what.
Old September 20th 05, 11:07 PM
Casey Wilson

Whose Lear jets are you planning to fly, you're own? Or are you
considering commercial operations for your hobby? You should be aware
they require two flight crew as well as a type rating and recurrent
training. Some light jets only require one pilot.

Eventually once all certificates are acquired yes I do plan to fly my
own. I'm not really wanting to be involved with working for anyone.
Mostly just to visit folks and attend events in other cities and
states and the occassional airplane only access fishing trip. Maybe a
flight over the backwoods of Alaska stuff like that.

Of course you didn't mean it, but you did cause me to conjur up the
apparition of a Lear-60 on floats.
In all honesty, my thoughts are that you should before anything
else, just go get your PP-ASEL. You need to start there in case, so go do
that -- first. Forget all the other stuff until then.

Old September 20th 05, 11:37 PM
Steve

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:07:12 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote:

Casy-

Im extremely fresh at this what is a PP-ASEL