New Plane and Mountains

Old October 12th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

Default New Plane and Mountains

I just purchased a 1974 Cardinal RG and am very happy with it so far.

I have been privileged to live in a very beautiful part of the world.
All we are missing here are trees that change colours in the fall!

Here is a trip log made yesterday through the Coast Mountains of British
Columbia. Lots of pictures of mountains, glaciers, lakes and stuff.

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...10_Chilko_Lake

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca
Old October 12th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

randall g wrote:
I just purchased a 1974 Cardinal RG and am very happy with it so far.

I have been privileged to live in a very beautiful part of the world.
All we are missing here are trees that change colours in the fall!

Here is a trip log made yesterday through the Coast Mountains of British
Columbia. Lots of pictures of mountains, glaciers, lakes and stuff.

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...10_Chilko_Lake

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca

and from the look of it, you didn't hit a single bug, that is a great place!

Brad
Old October 12th 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"randall g" wrote in message
I just purchased a 1974 Cardinal RG and am very happy with it so far.

I have been privileged to live in a very beautiful part of the world.
All we are missing here are trees that change colours in the fall!

Here is a trip log made yesterday through the Coast Mountains of British
Columbia. Lots of pictures of mountains, glaciers, lakes and stuff.

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...10_Chilko_Lake

Randall, these are just breathtaking. I'd like to know what camera you
used. I know practically nothing about photagrahpy but I want to do an
australian outback flight in the not too distant future and would like to be
able to take some pictures of this quality. Have you got any hints for me?
terry

Old October 12th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Randall,

Fantastic job. Thanks for the photos.

Karl
"N185KG

Old October 12th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Great photos... Single engine over these rocks is definitely a higher
level of risk... Look the the meticulous maintenance of your plane my
friend...

GL ... denny

Old October 12th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:14:16 +1000, "d&tm"
wrote:

"randall g" wrote in message
.. .
I just purchased a 1974 Cardinal RG and am very happy with it so far.

I have been privileged to live in a very beautiful part of the world.
All we are missing here are trees that change colours in the fall!

Here is a trip log made yesterday through the Coast Mountains of British
Columbia. Lots of pictures of mountains, glaciers, lakes and stuff.

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...10_Chilko_Lake

Randall, these are just breathtaking. I'd like to know what camera you
used. I know practically nothing about photagrahpy but I want to do an
australian outback flight in the not too distant future and would like to be
able to take some pictures of this quality. Have you got any hints for me?
terry

If you don't know much about photography and don't want to mess with a
complicated camera then run, do not walk, to your friendly camera store
and buy a Ricoh Caplio R4. That is what I used here - I was flying solo
so I didn't want any complications. All I adjusted was the zoom, and
this incredible little camera has a huge zoom range, as well as an
anti-shake mechanism. I put in a 2GB memory card which holds over 800
pictures at maximum resolution and quality.

Otherwise Kat now uses a Nikon D70 which is an SLR, but requires more
knowledge and messing around.

Also you must realize that these digital cameras are not at all
optimized for the kind of pictures you take from airplanes. The haze and
colours are unusual for average snapshots. I find there is a huge
improvement for web presentation if you post-process the pictures - I
use Photoshop LE. Often a one-click "auto contrast" adjustment is all
that is needed. If that looks too contrasty, or the horizon/distant area
remains too light, I usually get what I want with an adjustment of the
levels - usually a little darker, then a manual contrast adjustment. It
doesn't take too long to do even hundreds of pictures.

You can see the difference if you look at some of my trip logs. The last
two (Oct 10 2006 and Oct 3 2004) have been post-processed. The two trip
logs prior to that were not - those are the raw shots from the camera.
Mind you, all but the most recent trip were taken with a lesser camera,
but the contrast/brightness issues are similar.

Old October 12th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

On 12 Oct 2006 05:18:19 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

Great photos... Single engine over these rocks is definitely a higher
level of risk... Look the the meticulous maintenance of your plane my
friend...

GL ... denny

You said it. That is never out of my mind and detracts somewhat from the
sheer enjoyment of it all. You don't see it in the pictures, but most
valley bottoms have major logging roads - these are two lane gravel
roads and mostly straight so those huge trucks can keep up their speed.
Otherwise there are logging clearings, sandbars along the rivers,
beaches on the lakes, and even some of those icefields have large smooth
and flat areas.

However there are still significant areas where there frankly are no
good options. My plane has an engine monitor and I believe this one
thing vastly improves the detection of an impending engine problem. Oh
and I will never run out of fuel of course!

Maintenance is not an issue. The previous owner and I have the same
attitude - we want to make our mechanics rich.

Old October 12th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Here is a trip log made yesterday through the Coast Mountains of British
Columbia. Lots of pictures of mountains, glaciers, lakes and stuff.

http://www.telemark.net/randallg/pho...10_Chilko_Lake

Beautiful pix, Randall.

Mary and I flew over that kind of forbidding territory on our way to
Reno, back in 2004, and it's a humbling experience. There is just
something about knowing that there is no place to land, and that
searchers might NEVER find you, that really sharpens the senses.

I found it exhilarating. Mary doesn't want to do it again.

At least not till the kids are grown....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 12th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

At least not till the kids are grown....

Jay, I'm surprised at you!

Jay Honeck wrote:
Mary and I flew over that kind of forbidding territory on our way to
Reno, back in 2004, and it's a humbling experience. There is just
something about knowing that there is no place to land, and that
searchers might NEVER find you, that really sharpens the senses.

There is almost ALWAYS a place to land... fly over the lower
terrain, and long the river valleys.

FILE A FLIGHT PLAN!
We WILL find you...

Get training and fly safely!

I found it exhilarating. Mary doesn't want to do it again.

It is exhilarating! Fun and safe! Just don't do any of
the "10 STUPID pilot tricks" (Someone post them for me, please?)
- Run out of fuel.
- VFR into IMC.
- CFIT.
- "Watch this"!
- ...

What kills the inexperienced pilots in Alaska?
"Turns about a moose"!

At least not till the kids are grown....

???? Then don't drive, don't ski, don't cross the road,
don't eat e-coli greens from California, don't get a flu
shot, don't...

"Have life, and have it abundantly"!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jeratfrii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/