I learned about flying from this, too...

Old February 6th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

Default I learned about flying from this, too...

On Feb 6, 11:18 am, wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:03 am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

It's a ****-up that the Concorde pilot whose
plane dislodged runway debris, failed to review
his runway and killed himself, all his passengers
and destroyed an expensive A/C.

There was no "Runway Walk Inspection" on his checklist.

Of course there is read the manual.
Cite where it says debris is permitted on the runway.
duhhh
Ken
Old February 6th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Steve Hix wrote:

I think it was
controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be equivalent to
today.

I have a watch with more computing power.
Old February 6th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Hix

In article ,
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

I think it was
controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be equivalent to
today.

I have a watch with more computing power.

Sure, but will it heat your house?

Or move it, given enough hydraulics? :}
Old February 6th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Al G[_1_]

"Michael Ash" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.student wrote:
Can you imagine a busy airport with pilots walking around on the
runway between takeoffs every minute or so? What a plan for disaster.
"Airliner Crashes While Trying To Avoid Pilot Strolling On Runway"

Not to mention that the titanium strip which caused the Concorde crash
came off a flight which took off only four minutes earlier. To do this
properly you'd have to inspect the entire runway between every takeoff.
This is impractical, to put it mildly.

What's more, the proximate cause to the fire which caused Concorde's
demise was a burst tire. It seems obvious to me that any passenger
aircraft should be able to survive a burst tire without a violent crash.
The fact that Concorde couldn't do so is a design flaw, and making sure
that aircraft won't catch fire and crash into a hotel after a burst tire
seems like a better solution than reducing the capacity of commercial
airports by an order of magnitude so that the runways can be inspected
before every single takeoff. If I'm wrong about this, I'd appreciate any
of the more knowledgeable people on the group correcting me.

Ok,

"The fact that Concorde couldn't do so is a design flaw, and making sure
that aircraft won't catch fire and crash into a hotel after a burst tire
seems like a better solution than reducing the capacity of commercial
airports by an order of magnitude so that the runways can be inspected
before every single takeoff."

Is a run on sentence. There, you are corrected.

Al G

Old February 6th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
I was too damn busy looking at
the instruments to see that hazard.

Why are you looking only at instruments on takeoff?
Old February 6th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

I think it was
controlled by a PDP-11/70 ... wonder what it might be equivalent to
today.

I have a watch with more computing power.

Sure, but will it heat your house?

Of course it will. If it makes sure I get to work on time.

Or move it, given enough hydraulics? :}

Given enough hydraulics, I'd have to say yes.
Old February 6th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Flydive

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
I was too damn busy looking at
the instruments to see that hazard.

Why are you looking only at instruments on takeoff?

And why would he flatten his descent? Aren't you supposed to climb after
take off? :-)

Ken S. Tucker wrote:

I flattened the descent and eased back the
throttle.
Ken

Old February 6th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 6, 1:37 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

I was too damn busy looking at
the instruments to see that hazard.

Why are you looking only at instruments on takeoff?

Well I mentioned I had an IP in the right seat.
(Bob Burton out of the Oshawa Flying Club,
he's the best I ever had, he liked to have fun).

Following rotation and beginning ascent, I was
looking at RPM, rate of ascent, and KIAS,
something to do with best climb rate, the IP
ordered.
Ken
Old February 6th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Ken S. Tucker

On Feb 6, 2:03 pm, Flydive wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
I was too damn busy looking at
the instruments to see that hazard.

Why are you looking only at instruments on takeoff?

And why would he flatten his descent? Aren't you supposed to climb after
take off? :-)

Had to fly under the flock, it was a swarm,
probably a migration thing.