Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Old October 10th 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

3 New Diamonds and Lennie #1's at the Mt. Washington Wave camp yesterday.
Potentially a new state record as well, but verifying the logs.

Tows were as low as 2K, with highest climb in the 32K range
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....C0&sc=&sp=2019

Old October 10th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Did the wave camp have a special waiver allowing flights above FL280 and into RVSM airspace?
Old October 10th 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Usually wave camps, that have their crap together, have a "wave window" set up with local FAA types. They get a suitable block airspace, then make a call and "open the window".
I am SURE Mt. Washington, Petersburg, WV., several spots in CO., etc. all have this.
Old October 10th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Moriarty, too, though in the nine years I've been in the area I've only
seen the window opened once.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 10th 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 12:02:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Did the wave camp have a special waiver allowing flights above FL280[sic] and into RVSM airspace?

The wave window was open to FL350 yesterday, and most of that got used! Sadly, I was at work...

There exists a letter of agreement which spells out the operating parameters and procedures. It's worked very well. The airspace made available is a 10 NM radius cylinder centered on a point roughly coincident with the Mt Wash primary.

Typically, we'll ask for FL260 to start, and if pilots get close to the ceiling, we'll ask for more.

The air we want to be in is not something you want to fly a 767 through at speed anyway....

T8
Old October 10th 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I knew I didn't know every location, just saying "regular wave sites" have an agreement.

Still trying to get my last badge out of Middletown, NY. I started here, soloed here, went through Gold with 2 diamonds here, just like "UH".
He (UH) finally went to Mt. Washington the other year to complete his diamonds to add to the, "mass 1000K" at NewCastle in VA., I believe only 2 diamond climbs in the state of NY in history.
Yes, possible now and then over Ellenville, NY., but hard.
We are about 10 miles downwind of the "ridge", the plateau by Ellenville is best bet (where I got my Gold climb).

BTW, for history buffs, Steve Bennis and wife (Ginny/Virginia) (later a Schweitzer) started gliding ops in the region. He is a hall of famer.
He also owned Middletown, gave me a PVT and COMM checkride.

Old October 10th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 9:02:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Did the wave camp have a special waiver allowing flights above FL280 and into RVSM airspace?

Technically, the window operation IS a waiver from RVSM and other IFR/equipment/certification rules.

Many wave windows are not concerned with RVSM requirements. Since the window excludes the machinery that seek and use RVSM separations, the machines/gliders inside the Window (or column) are operating VFR separations between window participants (glider to glider, See and Avoid).

Most wave windows are tailored in lateral boundaries to minimize impacts on IR routes and commercial air traffic. The integration of wave columnar airspace and lateral jetways can happen in real time, depending on the requirements of the window "contract" or Letter of Agreement (LOA).

Sometimes glider use is "capped" temporarily to allow an IFR overhead transition. Ie., Glider Two Four Xray remain below FL 240. Later a clearance to climb at will can be issued. I have personally received inquiries by ATC to confirm if I can "remain above FL XX for XX minutes" while a transition occurs below me.

Sometimes windows are segmented laterally like stepping stones to allow XC work by gliders to move along the ridgeline, and allow IFR traffic to transition an area ahead or behind the XC Flight Levels glider(s).

There is tremendous diversity in various wave windows, allowing recreational pilots access to Flight Levels. The important thing to remember is that the LOA is a contract between users and the FAA. Failure to adhere to terms of use could result enforcement action individually and in loss of privileges to future pilots. It is the User's responsibility to know how to comply....get a good briefing.

Fly safely,

Cindy B
SSA Government Liaison, Airspace
Old October 11th 18, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 6:26:17 AM UTC-4, Giaco wrote:
3 New Diamonds and Lennie #1's at the Mt. Washington Wave camp yesterday.
Potentially a new state record as well, but verifying the logs.

Tows were as low as 2K, with highest climb in the 32K range
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....C0&sc=&sp=2019

To answer the specific question about Mt. Washington, yes, we work very closely with both the Boston Center controller, as well as the NORAD Eastern Air Defense Sector and the National Guard, as we are flying inside of a MOA/ARTCC as well. We have very rarely (recently) been locked out from using the airspace on a given day, or limited to FLXXX, but have at times had to wait for the military folk to finish their training before going over 18. The FAA and NORAD folks have been very accommodating and appreciate hearing the updates when we make good use of everything we are given.

G7
Old October 11th 18, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Cindy:
That is interesting, but wouldn't ATC want to divert high speed traffic away from the area below the glider in wave? That's a pretty big speed bump to hit at 500kts.
ROY
Old October 11th 18, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was told that they gave us an additional 10k and extended the window to 45k as guys were climbing.

DC