Ka-6CR and E Canopy Mods.

Old February 28th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck

Default Ka-6CR and E Canopy Mods.

Is anyone familiar where to find plans or kits or otherwise of the
"Swiss" canopy modification, (bigger canopy with wider base), for the
Ka-6CR? Also, same for the "Cabrio" (open cockpit), canopy's for the
CR and E? Many thanks for any assistance in finding such...our location
is in the United States, the State of Vermont.

Rob Buck

Old March 1st 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Feb 28, 4:45*pm, Robert Buck wrote:
Is anyone familiar where to find plans or kits or otherwise of the
"Swiss" canopy modification, (bigger canopy with wider base), for the
Ka-6CR? *Also, same for the "Cabrio" (open cockpit), canopy's for the
CR and E? *Many thanks for any assistance in finding such...our location
is in the United States, the State of Vermont.

Rob Buck

I own a Cr, and I was looking into the possibility of the open canopy
mod. There is a TM available from Schleicher that outlines the process
of building the open canopy. Unfortunately the TM-23 is in German.

http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/tm/06/060_TM23_D.pdf

The gist of the TM is that you build a canopy frame from the plans
(which are not available in the online version), and you need to close
off the rest of the fuselage when using the open canopy.

Peter

Old March 1st 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Pfeiffer

The original canopy has the wood frame that curves up and inward for a
few inches. Where the Plexiglas is attached to the base is distinctly
narrower than the bottom of the wood frame. The back curve of the
Plexiglas for the original canopy does not have any reverse curvature
when viewed from the rear and it matches the fuselage behind it.

If the Plexiglas is extended down to the bottom of the opening and a
smaller 1" frame is used, the Plexiglas will need to be reverse curved
when viewed from the rear, if the original fuselage is not to be
modified. The "Swiss" canopy on one of my Ka6BRs does not have reverse
curvature, but only because the fuselage has a fair amount of filler
behind it under the wing. This may be an anomaly, however, I think that
it is probably more the rule since reverse curvature in the lower canopy
would tend to distort the view and make the additional transparency less
useful.

So if you choose to move to a "Swiss" (oder Schweizer) canopy, you may
want to consider added fuselage modifications.

You may want to follow the classified ads on segelflug.de and search for
Ka6 canopy frames (Haube) to find one that could be converted to a
Cabrio. There have also been some Cabrio canopies advertised there in
the past year. I have considered buying one myself. I'm too busy with
my restoration projects to consider building one now.

Good Luck!

...... Neal

Old March 1st 09, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 28, 6:25*pm, vontresc wrote:
[...]

Peter, allow me to introduce Rob Buck. Rob... Peter.

Pete, Rob is a long time friend of Burt and has flown at Marfa many
times.

Rob, I helped Peter find his K6 and recently joined him in Marfa for a
week of training and fun with Burt.

I hope you guys can help each other out with this project and I look
forward to sharing a flight, a drink, and a great evening of talk with
you sometime hopefully in Marfa but anywhere will do!

Matt Michael
Old March 1st 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Mar 1, 1:37*am, wrote:
[...]

I'm starting to think Matt knows EVERYONE in soaring sometimes.

Back to the subject of Canopies. I just emembered that there is
someone on the German sailplane classifieds site is selling pars from
his wrecked Ka-6.

http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...uery=retrieval

He lists his personal site, too. Unfortunately I do not read Czech,
but the pic on the Segelflug.de listing sure looks like a "Schweizer
Haube"

Pete
Old March 2nd 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas....cgi?search_an...

He lists his personal site, too. Unfortunately I do not read Czech,
but the pic on the Segelflug.de listing sure looks like a "Schweizer
Haube"

Pete

It only seems that way because you are just starting to get to know
people and I know a couple people who DO know everyone in soaring.

It's a small and amazing community. I'm proud to be a part of it.

MM
Old March 4th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck

At 00:25 01 March 2009, vontresc wrote:
On Feb 28, 4:45=A0pm, Robert Buck wrote:
Is anyone familiar where to find plans or kits or otherwise of the
"Swiss" canopy modification, (bigger canopy with wider base), for

the
Ka-6CR? =A0Also, same for the "Cabrio" (open cockpit), canopy's for

the
CR and E? =A0Many thanks for any assistance in finding such...our

locatio=

Old March 4th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck

[...]

Many thanks...looked up the TM and will see if I can find plans. From
Schleicher?

All the Best,

Rob

Old March 4th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck

At 04:02 01 March 2009, Neal Pfeiffer wrote:

[...]

Neal...

Many thanks and will keep my eyes open. Also, saw the pix of your
restored "E"...congratulations. See you at IVSM, I hope!

Rob

Old March 4th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Buck

At 07:37 01 March 2009, wrote:
On Feb 28, 6:25=A0pm, vontresc wrote:
[...]

Hi Matt...

Thanks...going to IVSM in Elmira? Appreciate your assistance. Hopefully
we'll all get together before long...can't make Marfa this year...I
think.

Rob

Spot, Mods!!!! NW_Pilot Owning 0 June 22nd 08 01:46 AM
Engine Mods Paul Missman Owning 8 February 17th 05 03:40 AM
Vne/Va/Aircraft Mods Dale General Aviation 2 August 26th 04 02:07 AM
mods for a Cherokee 140 Tony Woolner Owning 8 January 7th 04 12:20 PM
Ventus A/B Mods Al Soaring 0 November 8th 03 07:06 AM