McCauley Pucker Factor

Old May 14th 04, 04:01 AM
Orval Fairbairn

Default McCauley Pucker Factor

This past Monday, a couple of my friends took off in a Bonanza with a
3-blade McCauley prop installed. At about 1000 feet, on power
reduction, one of the blades came unhooked from its pitch change
mechanism and went into "free pitch" mode.

It apparently made a lot of racket and bad vibrations right away; they
were able to make a 180 and land downwind safely. They even had a hard
time taxiing, but all are safe.

Both McCauley and the FAA are really interested in this one -- to make
sure that proper overhaul procedures were followed and to ascertain
whether or not bogus parts were used.

The insurance company is paying for the engine teardown/rebuild, as
there is a possibility that the front bearing was damaged, due to
asymmetric thrust.

The fortunate thing is that it happened at 1000 feet, after takeoff from
a 4800 ft runway, lightly loaded.

Watch this space for possible AD and other stuff hitting the fan.
Old May 14th 04, 09:41 PM
Jay Honeck

This past Monday, a couple of my friends took off in a Bonanza with a
3-blade McCauley prop installed. At about 1000 feet, on power
reduction, one of the blades came unhooked from its pitch change
mechanism and went into "free pitch" mode.

Wow -- I can't imagine how a blade could come detached. Those are some
pretty beefy mechanisms.

Glad they're all safe.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 14th 04, 10:22 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article haapc.2474$qA.269328@attbi_s51,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

This past Monday, a couple of my friends took off in a Bonanza with a
3-blade McCauley prop installed. At about 1000 feet, on power
reduction, one of the blades came unhooked from its pitch change
mechanism and went into "free pitch" mode.

Wow -- I can't imagine how a blade could come detached. Those are some
pretty beefy mechanisms.

Glad they're all safe.

I saw the prop in a friend's hangar -- you could rotate one blade freely
about its longitudinal axis, while the other two were normal.
Old May 15th 04, 02:47 AM
Tom Jackson

What I find hard to believe, is that the insurance co. is willing to pay for
the tear-down.

Don't they only normally pay for incidental damage - i.e., a tear-down after
a prop-strike?

news

Old May 15th 04, 03:22 AM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:47:29 GMT, "Tom Jackson"
wrote:

What I find hard to believe, is that the insurance co. is willing to pay for
the tear-down.

Don't they only normally pay for incidental damage - i.e., a tear-down after
a prop-strike?

In the cases that I have been exposed to, the insurance company will
pay for a sudden-stoppage inspection "by-the-book", i.e. they will pay
the mandatory replacement parts and labor to perform the
manufacturer's required inspection.

They will also typically pay to repair internal damage that has
directly resulted from the incident. But any other issues discovered
during the inspection (parts worn beyond limits from normal usage) are
on the owner's dime.

I would expect it would be the same in this case.

TC

Old May 16th 04, 08:35 PM
MichaelR

If the insurance company finds that the prop was improperly overhauled, they
might sue the shop that did it to get their money back.

Old May 18th 04, 03:43 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article

,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

Followup:

I talked to the owner of the plane today -- he was present when they
opened up the prop hub.

The pin at the base of the blade had sheared off. This is about 1/2"
diameter and keeps the blade synchronized with the other blades. The pin
went off for metallurgical analysis -- it was either too brittle or had
improper heat treatment done, so there may be no joy in Mudville after
this one is done.

I wonder how many accidents have happened where the pin had broken and
was dismissed as accident damage, rather than accident cause.
Old May 18th 04, 08:42 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Why do I smell an expensive AD coming?

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old May 18th 04, 08:57 PM
Bill Hale

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .
This past Monday, a couple of my friends took off in a Bonanza with a
3-blade McCauley prop installed. At about 1000 feet, on power
reduction, one of the blades came unhooked from its pitch change
mechanism and went into "free pitch" mode.

There is a composite material link between the pitch change mechanism
and the blade acutator pin, which is on the circumference of the blade
shank. It's about 2" long.

This is a reason that McCauley specifically warns against pulling the
airplane with the prop while on the ground. If you pull on the back
edge of the blade, you can put enough torque on it to threaten the links.

Ond does wonder how they were cared for because this is a very rare
failure.

It would be like a terrible mistrack on a helicopter rotor.

Bill Hale BPPP Instructor