Inverter question for Jim Weir

Old February 11th 04, 09:30 AM
B2431

Default Inverter question for Jim Weir

Could you figure a way to convert the automobile inverters for laptops to 400z?
How about the LCD inverters?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 11th 04, 03:55 PM

I would take this to mean the other way.... modifying an automotive inverter to
put out 400Hz output. I'm guessing this would be to power some funky avionics requiring
400Hz from a 14V plane. If it's a PWM output, it probably wouldn't even be all that hard
to do, since it's still 120v. I don't think it'd be a good idea for a plane though.
Consumer-grade stuff doesn't quite have the robustness and interference requirements to
make it adequate on a plane.

-Cory

karel adams wrote:

: "B2431" schreef in bericht
: ...
: Could you figure a way to convert the automobile inverters for laptops
: to 400z?

: if I understand your question allright,
: you are wondering how a commercial automobile converter
: can be used to power a laptop off the 400hz 3phase
: electrical power available in larger planes?

: well i suppose you first rectify the 400 Hz into DC
: using diodes that will withstand the currents involved
: (between 5 and 10 amps maximum, I should reckon)
: then you reduce whatever DC voltage results to some 12-15 volts
: then you feed this into the car inverter
: don't forget to include some inductances (=chokes)
: and ceramic C's to reduce HF-disturbance

: KA

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 11th 04, 05:57 PM
Jay

I'm trying to understand what you want to do. You want 400Hz power in
your DC plane? What is it you trying to power?

Old February 11th 04, 08:28 PM
Jim Weir

I love it when people without a clue jump on your questions that you asked me.

It can be done. I'm not sure how trivial the mod would be, but if you are
talking about powering 115v/400Hz. gyros, as I recall you will need three phase.

So the answer to question one is yes, I can probably figure out a way. I'm not
sure how detailed the answer will be, or whether the answer will travel from one
model to another or be specific to that model.

Now, what is an LCD inverter?

Jim

(B2431)

-Could you figure a way to convert the automobile inverters for laptops to
400z?
-How about the LCD inverters?
-
-Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old February 12th 04, 01:52 AM
richard riley

:
:It can be done. I'm not sure how trivial the mod would be, but if you are
:talking about powering 115v/400Hz. gyros, as I recall you will need three phase.

Most of the 115v/400 hz gyros out there are 3 phase, but not all. I
have one that isn't - it's not working and it's not worth rebuilding.
I'd guess 90% or more are three phase.

I've also just found a guy in England that makes 12v to
115v/400hz/3phase inverters, 1.5 lbs, with a .5 amp 24v DC output as
well. Not cheap at 225 uk pounds. Chris Quayle,
lightwork(at)aerosys(dot)co(dot)uk
Old February 12th 04, 02:34 AM
Tarver Engineering

"richard riley" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:28:32 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

:I love it when people without a clue jump on your questions that you

asked me.
:
:It can be done. I'm not sure how trivial the mod would be, but if you

are
:talking about powering 115v/400Hz. gyros, as I recall you will need three

phase.

Most of the 115v/400 hz gyros out there are 3 phase, but not all. I
have one that isn't - it's not working and it's not worth rebuilding.
I'd guess 90% or more are three phase.

Most airplane instrumentation is devided by phase, gyros being one of the
most critical pieces of instrumentation for IFR operations.

Mechanical INS are three phase, but they have battery back up.

Old February 12th 04, 03:34 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:28:32 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

I love it when people without a clue jump on your questions that you asked me.

It can be done. I'm not sure how trivial the mod would be, but if you are
talking about powering 115v/400Hz. gyros, as I recall you will need three phase.

So the answer to question one is yes, I can probably figure out a way. I'm not
sure how detailed the answer will be, or whether the answer will travel from one
model to another or be specific to that model.

Now, what is an LCD inverter?

Jim

(B2431)

-Could you figure a way to convert the automobile inverters for laptops to
400z?
-How about the LCD inverters?
-
-Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

http://www.rst-engr.com

I think by LCD inverter he's talking about the "exciter" for the CCF
backlights used on LCD laptop screens. Aprox 400cps, but far from
accurate, and very low current.
Old February 12th 04, 03:58 AM
Tim Ward

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"richard riley" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:28:32 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

:I love it when people without a clue jump on your questions that you

asked me.
:
:It can be done. I'm not sure how trivial the mod would be, but if you

are
:talking about powering 115v/400Hz. gyros, as I recall you will need

three
phase.

Most of the 115v/400 hz gyros out there are 3 phase, but not all. I
have one that isn't - it's not working and it's not worth rebuilding.
I'd guess 90% or more are three phase.

Most airplane instrumentation is devided by phase, gyros being one of the
most critical pieces of instrumentation for IFR operations.

Mechanical INS are three phase, but they have battery back up.

Cool! Where do they get those 3-phase batteries?

Tim Ward

Old February 12th 04, 04:05 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps weir can provide you with a schematic for a three phase batter
charger.