C85 Oil Leak

Old May 1st 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dick[_1_]

Default C85 Oil Leak

A small oil leak has shown up topside and immediately behind the nosebowl
on my Zodiac 601 HD powered with a C85. As near as can be seen, the
crankcase nipple connection and hose leading to the air/oil separator is not
"wet" or showing leakage. Neither the hose nor air/oil separator are
blocked.

There is extensive riveted baffling around the crank/prop flange area which
blocks a direct visual inspection.

Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement method
a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar to old
chevy small blocks?

any help would be appreciated, thanks, Dick

Old May 2nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

----- blocks a direct visual inspection.

Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement
method a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar
to old chevy small blocks?

There is a split seal for Continentals with flanged crankshafts which
installs without too much trouble.

A few years back I replaced a seal on a C-85 without doing enough
troubleshooting. After replacement, the leak remained. it turned out the
crankcase vent line had been moved and was pressurizing the crankcase.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old May 2nd 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dick[_1_]

Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I finally found a Continental Manual showing that
split seal used on my flanged crank.

But I have noticed lately that my air/oil separator is pushing almost
nothing out the drain hose to atmosphere. ie: lot cleaner than usual belly
G. Now I wonder about that crankcase being pressurized possibility.....The
one item I didn't check for blockage was the 90 degree fitting coming out
the case side.

Sure would rather unblock something than pull that spinner, prop and
baffling G.

Dick

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
----- blocks a direct visual inspection.

Having heard about leaking crank front oil seals, is the replacement
method a total engine case split or some kind of split ring seal similar
to old chevy small blocks?

There is a split seal for Continentals with flanged crankshafts which
installs without too much trouble.

A few years back I replaced a seal on a C-85 without doing enough
troubleshooting. After replacement, the leak remained. it turned out the
crankcase vent line had been moved and was pressurizing the crankcase.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Oil leak on top of the engine Jay Honeck Owning 31 February 12th 05 03:27 AM
Oil leak Gene Seibel Owning 10 January 4th 05 03:57 PM
oil leak question Dick Home Built 18 November 19th 04 04:14 PM
Oil leak mike regish Piloting 9 June 22nd 04 03:46 AM
Oil Leak in TR182 Michael 182 Owning 2 August 17th 03 07:13 PM