235 Maule for towing

Old July 28th 03, 05:05 PM
Jim Harper

Default 235 Maule for towing

Hi.

For reasons unrelated to soaring, I am in the market for a Maule,
M(x)-235 (where x= 4,5,6,or 7). I am fairly active in my local club
and we occasionally find ourselves short a tow plane.

There is an STC'd tow hook for the thing, so I wanna know: Anyone ever
tow with or behind a Maule 235? I should think it would be a good to
excellent towplane, but I would love to hear your experiences!

Thanks!

Jim
Old July 28th 03, 07:23 PM
Maule Driver

I've towed behind a 235 in Montana. Hot and high (4,660 ft), the Maule did
a fine job towing fully ballasted ships aloft. It seemed on par with a
collection of 182s, Pawnees, etc.

I fly but don't tow with a MX180a. I suspect that it would make a good
towplane in eastern hot and low conditions with typical club flying.

Consider what kind of flying you'll be doing and check the numbers
(especially weights) of the various powerplant/airframe combinations. The
235 may or may not be the right vibrator.

om...

Old July 29th 03, 02:14 PM
Skip Guimond

The Civil Air Patrol purchased 15 tricycle gear Maule 235s for towing
and search and rescue. I have both towed and been towed by this
aircraft with excellent results in both club ships and the CAP's
Blanik L-23. Visibility in the CAP's Maule is good, but they have the
observation options including glass doors and overhead panels.
Mirrors are mounted inside below the observation panels.

CAP did have a mod added for additional cooling--and even then the oil
temp gauge shows very high readings. Adding a an accurate digital oil
and CHT gauge, however, shows the factory installed analog gauges to
be reading far higher than actual temperatures. I would prefer the
conventional gear Maule for towing--but the Tri gear works well on a
grass field as well. Might note that this is all in the east--but at
temperatures up to the mid 90s.

Good luck--
Old July 29th 03, 10:32 PM
Deputy Dog

I tow with one of the CAP 235 Maules. It does a good job pulling a
gross weight L-23. At 75mph with one notch of flaps on 1500 to 2000
density altitude day you will see climb rates of 600 to 700ft/min.
with full power. Digital oil temps hover around 195 to 200 degrees
and cylinder head temps. run in the 1300 to 1400 degree range so no
cooling problems with the added cooling skirt.

Negatives: Crummy visibility over the nose at 75mph with one notch of
flaps. Worse with no flaps and comfortable speeds are too high
without flaps (Vy=90mph) . Visibility elsewhere is great with the
observation windows/doors/greenhouse.

LOW useful load. With me and full tanks (including aux's) I can carry
148 additional pounds. Needless to say we keep the aux's empty.
Figure 13.5 to 14 gph.

No arm rest and it is a control wheel instead of stick. Shoulders get
tired.

Low flap operating range, so you have to dump the flaps before
starting down and the flap operating handle sucks! Difficult to
disengage lock and easy to break.

CAP ones have Tost hook which I feel is much safer if someone "kites"

Door latches and window latches are cheesy to say the least.

All in all, not a bad airplane, especially for a occassional tow, but
I sure like the Pawnee better if you are going to do many tows.

-Deputy Dog
Old July 30th 03, 07:43 AM
Caracole

We have had reason for contests or safaris to use two different
Maule models for a supplemental tug over the years.

High experience towpilot and taildragger drivers.
Pawnees, 180s, Cubs.

His comments were that the M-5 taildragger actually handled the
transition to landings nicer than the M-7. The roll authority
coupled with flap interactions were not as nice in hot, gusty days
in the M-7.
Otherwise, the other fellows gave you a lot more data.

Cindy B
www.caracolesoaring.com

(Deputy Dog) wrote in message . com...
I tow with one of the CAP 235 Maules. It does a good job pulling a
gross weight L-23.

Door latches and window latches are cheesy to say the least.

All in all, not a bad airplane, especially for a occassional tow, but
I sure like the Pawnee better if you are going to do many tows.

-Deputy Dog

Maule SFSA Tailwheel Information Ron Wanttaja Home Built 1 May 28th 04 12:47 PM
Maule aircrafts 7000 Piloting 1 October 19th 03 07:43 PM
Maule aircrafts 7000 General Aviation 0 October 19th 03 04:47 PM
paging Maule Driver David Hill Owning 0 September 28th 03 04:58 AM
Maule Turbine kevin Owning 16 August 4th 03 10:49 PM