V-1 "aces"

Old July 6th 03, 05:01 PM
Cub Driver

Default V-1 "aces"

For all the talk about Meteors shooting down V-1s, I was amused to see
that there was no Meteor V-1 "ace". (One pilot did manage to account
for four.)

Most of the V-1 aces flew Griffon-engined Spitfire XIIs, Spitfire
XIVs, and Tempest Vs. The other successful aircraft were Mosquitoes
(at night) and specially-boosted Mustang IIIs.

There appear to have been about 135 such 5-vic pilots in British
service--though, as was typical of the RAF, the pilots' nationalities
ran the gamut from Poles to Americans. What a wonderful air force it
must have been, where close to half the pilots were foreigners.

all the best -- Dan Ford (email: www.danford.net/letters.htm)

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 6th 03, 08:22 PM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:01:36 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

For all the talk about Meteors shooting down V-1s, I was amused to see
that there was no Meteor V-1 "ace". (One pilot did manage to account
for four.)

There was no Spitfire F.21 ace either. What conclusions would you
like to draw about it's relative effectiveness as a type from that?

Most of the V-1 aces flew Griffon-engined Spitfire XIIs, Spitfire
XIVs, and Tempest Vs. The other successful aircraft were Mosquitoes
(at night) and specially-boosted Mustang IIIs.

Spitfire Vs actually claimed more than the Meteors, IIRC. So what
does that prove, if anything? I hope you don't believe that this
illustrates any kind of relative performance superiority of the
Spitfire V over the Meteor in the summer of 1944.

There appear to have been about 135 such 5-vic pilots in British
service--though, as was typical of the RAF, the pilots' nationalities
ran the gamut from Poles to Americans. What a wonderful air force it
must have been, where close to half the pilots were foreigners.

Why should anyone have a problem with that? Or are you just seeking
to stir up some defensive national prejudices?

Gavin Bailey

--

"...this level of misinformation suggests some Americans may be
avoiding having an experience of cognitive dissonance."
Old July 6th 03, 11:58 PM
robert arndt

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
For all the talk about Meteors shooting down V-1s, I was amused to see
that there was no Meteor V-1 "ace". (One pilot did manage to account
for four.)

Most of the V-1 aces flew Griffon-engined Spitfire XIIs, Spitfire
XIVs, and Tempest Vs. The other successful aircraft were Mosquitoes
(at night) and specially-boosted Mustang IIIs.

There appear to have been about 135 such 5-vic pilots in British
service--though, as was typical of the RAF, the pilots' nationalities
ran the gamut from Poles to Americans. What a wonderful air force it
must have been, where close to half the pilots were foreigners.

all the best -- Dan Ford (email: www.danford.net/letters.htm)

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub

The Meteor was a new jet just becoming operational and had a flight
endurance of under one hour making standing patrols against the V-1
nearly impossible. That's probably why there were no Meteor V-1
aces...

Rob
Old July 7th 03, 06:15 PM
Gordon

OK, can anyone direct me to any accounts of a Mosquito victory over a V-1?

Martin Bowman includes an account of one by 418 RCAF sqn in the Osprey
book "Mosquito Fighter/Figher-Bomber Units of World War Two". Lewis
Brandon describes his experiences of intercepting them in his memoir
"Night Flyer", and Jimmy (C. F.) Rawnsley in "Night Fighter".

With the exception of the Error-Spray title you mention, these are good first
person sources. Brandon told me that he didn't realize Rawnsley was writing a
book when he shared experiences with him in the immediate postwar period, so
"Night Fighter" has some great insights that were gathered when the iron was
still hot.

To the original poster: I have access to none of my references (Hint: never
move from a 3,000 square foot home into a 900...) but any book on the fighter
variants of the Mosquito will have info on their service as V-1 chasers. They
experimented with all sorts of speed-related upgrades to get the Mossie in
amongst the V-1s over the channel. It was such an all-out race for Divers that
frequently, RAF nightfighters fired on each other or nearly collided. Any
suggestion that V-1 chasing was not aerial combat simply didn't have the
experience to draw from to make an accurate judgement. German fighters, a
robotic target of great speed and loaded with enough explosive to take down a
good sized building, trigger-happy defenses on both sides of the channel, and
flying souped-up fighters in the pitch darkness may not sound like combat to
some, but it does to me.

v/r
Gordon
Old July 7th 03, 09:10 PM
Cub Driver

Destroying 'Buzz' bombs was a deadly business. Anyone who says this was
not aerial combat needs to give their a real good shake.

Deactivating unexploded bombs was also dangerous, but it wasn't aerial
combat.

NOTE: If a V-1 was destroyed over England, it only counted for 1/2 a
victory.

The RAF didn't count it at all, only as a V-1 vic. As previously
posted, there were approximately 135 "V-1 aces".

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

Old July 7th 03, 09:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Deactivating unexploded bombs was also dangerous, but it wasn't aerial
combat.

That's because it wasn't done in the air.

Old July 7th 03, 09:56 PM
Gordon

Destroying 'Buzz' bombs was a deadly business. Anyone who says this was
not aerial combat needs to give their a real good shake.

agree, and thanks for speaking up, Chris! Hope all is well on your end.

v/r
Gordon
Old July 7th 03, 11:38 PM
Gordon

I'll try and give you a call sometime tonight.

not in Kansas......errrr Austin anymore

yfG