Draft Rule Change could effect S-LSA, E-LSA, and Experimental Gliders

Old April 1st 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2NO)

Default Draft Rule Change could effect S-LSA, E-LSA, and Experimental Gliders

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_do...der_8130.2.pdf

Pilots with S-LSA gliders like the Phoenix might start making comments. It could restrict their ability to fly over congested area or at night without regard to the pilot's certification level.

There is a new Appendix C listing the new restrictions that anyone with an Experimental aircraft/glider or anyone with a renewable airworthiness certification should be concerned with.
Old April 1st 14, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, March 31, 2014 10:26:18 PM UTC-4, Tom (2NO) wrote:
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_do...der_8130.2.pdf

Pilots with S-LSA gliders like the Phoenix might start making comments. It could restrict their ability to fly over congested area or at night without regard to the pilot's certification level.

There is a new Appendix C listing the new restrictions that anyone with an Experimental aircraft/glider or anyone with a renewable airworthiness certification should be concerned with.

Also hits electric-powered toys (Taurus, Silent, Antares, Arcus E, etc),
with no basis in operational history:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...sa-policy.aspx
Old April 2nd 14, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After taking a cursory look at the draft regulations ....

What are the important new differences for a glider registered as EXP-exhibition and racing?

Seems to me that gliders certificated in this category have always been restricted to a large degree. My SZD was not allowed to operate over "congested" areas, at night, etc., etc.

Tim
Old April 2nd 14, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2NO)

What is the life limit given in Poland for your SZD? The FAA could limit your Experimental certificate in this way. A good example is the Sukhoi-26 I used to own had a life limit of 500 hours before an aircraft overhaul/life extension could be given. How would you like to send your aircraft back to the country of origin for this work.

I have not been through the entire 300+ page document and I do not think that the focus of this rule change is directed at experimental gliders but if they have the ability to limit what is stopping them? I work with some really great FAA personnel out of the San Antonio FSDO but they are always going to use whatever limits/rules that are detailed in the guidance.

I am looking at purchasing a Phoenix LSA and I am concerned that this rule could be a problem not only from flight restrictions (day VFR only / no congested areas/ other restrictions such as IFR even though the pilot is rated) but proving that the materials used to manufacture the aircraft is "in conformance" with US standards.
Old April 2nd 14, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

snip All excellent points Tom. I guess the real issue is of a "slippery slope" of new and expanding regs. It does seem strange to me how they almost single out "electric" drives as presumptively unsafe... unsafe for GA, but A.O.K. for Boeing to have repeated, nearly catastrophic failures of "non-drive" electric systems of much greater power and importance.
Tim
Old April 4th 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The rule changes you discuss here do not apply to S-LSA gliders, only E-LSA or Experimental Exhibition, and gliders with electric or jet engines. None of this applies to the Phoenix, which is certified as an S-LSA glider. If someone "downgraded" their certification of their Phoenix to an E-LSA then they could possibly be affected.
By the way, the Phoenix is not IFR certified. It can only be flown VFR day or VFR night with the appropriate equipment. So you cannot fly the Phoenix in IMC conditions even if the pilot has an IFR rating.
But we should make comments about this because any new ruling should not prohibit flight over congested airspace with an electric motor, or with a jet engine.
Old April 4th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2NO)

The concern for me with S-LSA aircraft is the stricter material conformity and how are they going to check this with the manufacturers. (I don't know the answer)

Jim, the Phoenix (which is on my "next aircraft" list) has a tow hook option. Currently can you tow in the US with it? In Appendix C of the draft it prohibits towing with S-LSA aircraft.

As someone who had "pre and post moratorium" jets, non-TSO-ed, and experimental aircraft I am always concerned with changes to the rules as the FAA has done some crazy things in the past. I feel that the LSA market will be the savior of GA and do not want anything to limit this potentioal.
Old April 5th 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No, the FAA is not proposing any stricter standards for S-LSA than they already do. S-LSA airplanes and gliders CAN tow, you are confusing the differences in proposed changes in E-LSA and Exhibition Racing certifications.
In summary, the proposed regulations do not change anything with S-LSA. We tow, we fly at night, we fly through Class B airspace, we fly through the DC SFRA, and we fly to 18,000' with our glider ratings in the Phoenix. Nothing in the proposed regs changes any of that.
Old April 6th 14, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2NO)

Thanks for the information!