TE compensation and vario response times

Old April 25th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default TE compensation and vario response times

Hello Pilots,

Seeing the question about CAI 302 tones prompts an issue I have with my 302. I have a relatively new V2C. It has a 302 and an LX 16 electronic vario for back up. I am running both off the TE probe in the fin. I had the 302 response times for both audio and pointer set relatively fast as I had done with my previous system and running 0% electronic compensation. The 302 is bonkers in any turbulence or transitions. I have tried adding some electronic compensation w/o improvement. In order to tame it I had to slow both audio and pointer response times down further than I would like.

So the questions:
1) TE off the fin probe or go with static and electronic compensation
2) Operate with TE off the probe and some added electronic compensation
3) If running off static should I run with more than 100% electronic compensation
4) Optimum response time settings
5) Is there a solution that provide a well compensated 302 that is fast AND reasonably stable

Thanks for the insights.

Bob Caldwell

Old April 26th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob:

That's puzzling. You should be running your 302 on the TE probe (no
electronic compensation) and it should work great with lower response
time (this is how I have mine set up), as long as you don't have it set
below ~1.5 seconds. Remember, *some* degree of dampening is necessary,
you don't want the "air truth" in real time ... in AZ that would break
the needle off.

~ted
V2C "2NO"

Old April 26th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mine was erratic when compared to the Borgelt, even at the 2.3 second
setting. Marty Eiler at Caracole added a restrictor to the line
leading from the "T" to the 302 and it's worked well ever since, smooth
response and a good match to the B40.. I now leave the response on the
302 set to 1.5 sec..

Ray Warshaw

Old April 26th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At Marty's suggestion I did the same thing as Ray describes. It works
great.
Try a Sheuemann restrictor on the TE line.
Jim

Old April 26th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Where does on get a Sheuemann restrictor?

Thanks,

Jerz

Old April 26th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old April 26th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Where does on get a Sheuemann restrictor?

I tried to get some from Sage, no reply. Called Noelle at Williams
Soaring, had them in a couple of days. Tim Mara may have them too.

This post is not associated with any commercial venture.

Jim