say again-- RA parties

Old July 22nd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default say again-- RA parties

Wife says she is staying home with the kids.
I am heading up to OSH alone this year.
Arriving Monday morning.
My usual Three Oaks Country Club site will probably be full, so I don't
know where I will be parking this year. Maybe, closer to the beer?
Old July 22nd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

"john smith" wrote in message

Negative! Your are the Senior Colonel (you have me by a couple years).
I still represent WBAF HQ Staff (there are a couple of us remaining).

Thank God. I knew if I posted here I'd troll up another Colonel or two.
Good for us. Is Colonel John still ... ummm ... with us? Debbie? Last
Colonel I saw was Joni Benedict 6 or 7 years ago.

Next order of business... do we reinstate the Purple Hat?

ABSOLUTELY. And I've got the damned thing around here somewhere. It is
probably with my green hat, wherever the hell that is. BTW, Colonel Joni
bought a stash of the old greenies, but the last I saw of them was the last
time I saw her.

If you will instruct Colonel Jay in the proper selection of candidates and
winner of the Purple Hat, I'll see to it that they get it in the mail,
possibly before they go home.

Jay ... your certificates are painstakingly working their way to you via the
World Wide Wait; each one is 5MB and while we have broadband, 20 MB of
upload is still a bunch.

It is quarter of one your time on Saturday right now. If you don't see them
by two, drop me a line and I'll see if something went astray.

Jim

Old July 22nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Negative! Your are the Senior Colonel (you have me by a couple years).
I still represent WBAF HQ Staff (there are a couple of us remaining).

Thank God. I knew if I posted here I'd troll up another Colonel or two.
Good for us. Is Colonel John still ... ummm ... with us? Debbie? Last
Colonel I saw was Joni Benedict 6 or 7 years ago.

I believe Colonel John is still alive and kicking. He moved to Florida
10 years ago. He sold Port-O-John where we based the Champ until the new
owner's wife insisted on having airport insurance and having the flying
club pay for it. I haven't heard where Debbie is now. I have heard
Colonel Joni is still in the area, but is not involved in aviation.

Next order of business... do we reinstate the Purple Hat?

ABSOLUTELY. And I've got the damned thing around here somewhere. It is
probably with my green hat, wherever the hell that is. BTW, Colonel Joni
bought a stash of the old greenies, but the last I saw of them was the last
time I saw her.

We need to find a new source of hats.
What did you do and when did you earn the Purple one?
On second, thought, we'll discuss that another time.

If you will instruct Colonel Jay in the proper selection of candidates and
winner of the Purple Hat, I'll see to it that they get it in the mail,
possibly before they go home.

We shall discuss the awarding criteria and potential candidates at
evening debriefings this week.
How many judges should be on the new committee? I think we had five on
the original.
Old July 22nd 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I haven't heard where Debbie is now. I have heard
Colonel Joni is still in the area, but is not involved in aviation.

Colonel Joni was in Kansas last time I knew. She had an interior decorating
business or something like that.

We need to find a new source of hats.
What did you do and when did you earn the Purple one?

Joni may have bought something like 50 of them. I'd be willing to help
finance their purchase from her if we can find her.

I "earned" the purple hat in 1989 when I wrapped the 172 wing around a
concrete bridge abutment, followed quite quickly with a left aileron 180°
roll to inverted in the oncoming lane of the freeway.

However, the last recipient of the hat gave it to me to keep until we could
revive the tradition. I think it was one of the Texas wing who gave it to
me.

We shall discuss the awarding criteria and potential candidates at
evening debriefings this week.
How many judges should be on the new committee? I think we had five on
the original.

Five is fine with me.

Jim

Old July 24th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Butler[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
Last night around 5-6 pm it was chaotic and non-stop. They were using 36
for IFR arrivals off of Chicago Center, landing both long and short, and
using 9 for VFR arrivals from both the north and south.

They were parking plenty of planes in the N40 and mentioned a lot of Cessnas
up there so far.

It's now certain that I won't be there, since my departure time has come and
gone. Will miss seeing y'all at the RAO party. Have fun, bring back lots of
pictures and stories. If anyone's still at home and reading the NG, give my
regards to everyone.

I spent a good part of Sunday listening to the live ATC feed from OSH, but it
just made me more melancholy. How great it would be to hear "Nice job, Mooney,
welcome to Oshkosh" in my headset. Oh well, see you next year.

Dave
Old July 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Last night around 5-6 pm it was chaotic and non-stop. They were using 36
for IFR arrivals off of Chicago Center, landing both long and short, and
using 9 for VFR arrivals from both the north and south.

They were parking plenty of planes in the N40 and mentioned a lot of

Cessnas
up there so far.

Yes, it was very busy, but it did not sound to be more busy than it was
earlier in the day, at say, 2 or 3.

Part of the chaos was due to the controller who was working at that time. I
hate to be critical, but I listened pretty much all day, and this guy just
was not good at conveying the information in a timely manner. A good part
of the problem (I think) was that he was not calling out the type and color
in a general way, but trying to get specific as to the brand and model.
That just was taking too much time, so he would get behind. He also was not
calm. That attitude showed through. I kept on thinking, someone get this
guy off, before someone gets hurt.

Just my observation, and opinion.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
cavelamb

Morgans wrote:

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

[...]

He probably came up from Smallville Municipal for the week.

As much as it loks like a beehive from the air, just imagine what the guy
on the ground feels with all'a them little planes commin' at ya at once!

Richard

Old July 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Was that the guy that kept saying "Ok, let's see....where are we at here?"
Then pausing and saying nothing. At one time he repeatedly told an Aerostar
that he was cleared to land and the Aerostar pilot kept telling the
controller that he had two aircraft sitting on the approach end of the
runway. Finally another guy jumped in and told the Aerostar to go around.
At the same time a jet (I forget what type) asked three times "What about
me?"

It was definitely interesting listening to that guy.

Jim

Old July 25th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Was that the guy that kept saying "Ok, let's see....where are we at here?"
Then pausing and saying nothing. At one time he repeatedly told an

Aerostar
that he was cleared to land and the Aerostar pilot kept telling the
controller that he had two aircraft sitting on the approach end of the
runway. Finally another guy jumped in and told the Aerostar to go around.
At the same time a jet (I forget what type) asked three times "What about
me?"

It was definitely interesting listening to that guy.

Yep, that was the guy. Scary.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 25th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Dave Butler wrote:
Jim Burns wrote:
Last night around 5-6 pm it was chaotic and non-stop. They were using 36
for IFR arrivals off of Chicago Center, landing both long and short, and
using 9 for VFR arrivals from both the north and south.

They were parking plenty of planes in the N40 and mentioned a lot of Cessnas
up there so far.

It's now certain that I won't be there, since my departure time has come and
gone. Will miss seeing y'all at the RAO party. Have fun, bring back lots of
pictures and stories. If anyone's still at home and reading the NG, give my
regards to everyone.

I spent a good part of Sunday listening to the live ATC feed from OSH, but it
just made me more melancholy. How great it would be to hear "Nice job, Mooney,
welcome to Oshkosh" in my headset. Oh well, see you next year.

Dave

Hey Dave you got a link for the feed from Osh?

Thnx Monk