Air glide Vario family versus S100 LXNAV - Comments on Winds and Performance?

Old December 16th 18, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Air glide Vario family versus S100 LXNAV - Comments on Winds and Performance?

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 6:22:33 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I used a small hiking compass to look for magnetic fields before mounting the sensor case. I mounted it in the forward nose area.
To set up the Butterfly unit you fly figure 8's. This gives a score. I was able to get 8 out of 10.
I needed a longer cable from the sensor unit to the display. I was able to find one online and didn't need to get it from Air Avonics.
There are many parameters that can be changed. It seemed to look like a development project adjusting lag time, T.E. compensation etc. I've tried different ways to get static pressure on the plane also. My hope was for a vario that shows lift and not energy change. Meaning not showing stick thermals. I've not been able to achieve that. Not sure such an instrument exist yet.

You can also use the ISU itself, with a longer cable. Move it about and see if the heading indication on the display changes. To be thorough, you need to do it on several different headings. For example, with a 3' cable move it 3 feet away from everything, note the heading. Move it into the proposed location and see if the heading is any different. Switch different stuff on and off and again see if the heading changes.

Compasses and speakers are the most obvious moving magnetic fields, but power cables to instruments - especially if poorly wired - can also be a source. Instruments should be wired with paired power and ground twisted together, and terminated to busses close together. That will minimize the stray magnetic fields. Run them as far away from the ISU as possible.

That all said, I haven't found it to be horribly sensitive. Common sense - and perhaps some luck - will make it work well. In the above test, it didn't affect my compass, nor my compass it, until they were less than 6" apart. A speaker can be much worse, but the tiny speaker in my spare Ilec vario didn't affect it at all.

In my glider, the long term average wind tracks the CN vario pretty well, but the instantaneous wind is much more dynamic, and I'v been convinced it is accurate. I can find shear lines, wavelets, rough thermal centers that were otherwise invisible.
Old December 17th 18, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That would be fine if the Air Glide various was marketed on a sale or return basis. I have a friend who managed to return one because he couldn't find anywhere to put the sensor unit in which it worked properly but that was a few years ago.

New LXNAV S8 vario Paul Remde Soaring 5 October 12th 15 04:14 PM
Wanted: LXNav V7 Vario Greg Delp Soaring 0 April 1st 14 10:18 PM
New vario by LXNAV [email protected] Soaring 6 May 22nd 13 11:15 PM
LXNav V7 vs Butterfly vario? Chris Davison[_2_] Soaring 32 January 8th 13 10:37 AM
Performance loss versus yaw string deflection Eric Greenwell Soaring 7 July 20th 09 03:27 AM