Fiberglass adhesion to aluminum?

Old January 6th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiberglass adhesion to aluminum?

I've got some slight cracking in my aluminum nosebowl and have stop
drilled them twice.
I'm considering backing the cracks with fiberglass in hopes to keep the
vibration down.
How well does fiberglass adhere to aluminum?
What system is better.
I have easy access to the West system chemicals.

Any hints? Alodine first?

Thanks

Dave
Old January 6th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Fiberglass is prone to cracking unless it is reinforced.
A much stronger product is Belzona 1111 (Super Metal) with reinforcing
cloth.
I have used this on a Cessna cowling with excellent results. A friend
in Kansas City used it on a Commanche he used to own. The Belzona
repair was still holding up very well when he sold the Commanche.
Belzona will adhere to aluminum.

Old January 6th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

If a fiberglass patch on an aluminum backplate stays on for one entire
trip around the pattern, I'd be flat out amazed...

Old January 6th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message ...
I've got some slight cracking in my aluminum nosebowl and have stop
drilled them twice.
I'm considering backing the cracks with fiberglass in hopes to keep the
vibration down.

How about welding it? Just a suggestion (since I haven't seen the part or
the cracks). I didn't see that suggested and I can't help but wonder 'why
not'.

Just glass-bead blast that area and have it TIG'd up. I've seen some folks
successfully 'Heli Arc' some very delicate material. A character by the name
of Vince Wyatt used to weld little stick figures (about 2" tall) onto the
top of his Copenhagen cans at Todd Shipyard in the early 70's. I'd keep an
eye on how much bead (mass) is added to one side. Possibly add to the other
side to balance.

Does that sound feasible?

Old January 6th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

And here is the link to Belzona:

http://www.belzona.com/

Hope this helps

Jean-Paul

oups.com...

Old January 6th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 05:59:37 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

If a fiberglass patch on an aluminum backplate stays on for one entire
trip around the pattern, I'd be flat out amazed...

Properly preped it'll stay on as well as the paint, better in some
cases. Without a good degrease and prep I doubt it'd stay on past the
run up. :-)) Many of our "plastic" planes have Aluminum to
glass/resin bonds.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 6th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

If a fiberglass patch on an aluminum backplate stays on for one entire
trip around the pattern, I'd be flat out amazed...

Properly preped it'll stay on as well as the paint, better in some
cases. Without a good degrease and prep I doubt it'd stay on past the
run up. :-)) Many of our "plastic" planes have Aluminum to
glass/resin bonds.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I know, Roger, but....

Someone who is actually building a plastic plane should step up to the
microphone and tell how those metal plates are installed.

I know of no structural design that has aluminum plates "glued" on to
glass.

My best guess is that they get "bonded in" by covering them with more
layers of glass. - in effect, the metal is burried inside the glass.

That's not he case here.

Richard (the skeptical cave) Lamb