soaring sim with bald eagle ridge terrain?

Old January 23rd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring sim with bald eagle ridge terrain?

Anyone know of a soaring sim (besides X-plane) with bald eagle ridge
terrain included?

I would like to use something to gain some additional terrain
familiarity before the sports nats this year.

TIA,

Frank

Old January 23rd 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank,

I don't know of a soaring sim, but have you considered
Google Earth?

You can 'fly' along the ridges, and pretty much anywhere
else on Earth.

It is also possible to upload igc files to Google Earth.
Find the url on one of the discussion groups on gliderforum.com

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina
USA

Old January 23rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Download all the IGC files that you can find of contest flights in the
area from the soaring server (http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/SOARING) or
OLC and play them in Seeyou 3d.

Of course, the most fun way is to come a few weeks early !

Todd
3S

Old January 23rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank,

The 2005 Region 2 igc files are available, zipped up from the Winscore
site. This is easy to access from the SRA website, menu left side,
contest results. I could email you the files I retained, of those who
did much better than me so I could learn something.

http://sailplane-racing.org/

BTW, support the SRA.

Chip F.

Old January 24th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can't offer more than the others, Google Earth has good images... and
I'm guessing you'd prefer the simulator to respond in some way to the
terrain?

I've often wished that one of the 'Irregulars' would voice narrate the
playback of a long flight in SeeYou 3D. That way we get the 'why' as
well as the 'where' he flew, and a description of wind conditions en
route. When recorded as a DVD or other video medium it would be a great
way to learn the ridges before taking your first flights.

There might even be a small market for a video taped ridge
familiarization run.

None of this replaces the need to have someone show you the ropes first
hand when you get there.

But what a great confidence builder a tape or DVD would be. Do any
exist already?

Bob

Old January 24th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wish one of the computer experts on the list would come up with a way
to replay IGC files in 3D on Google Earth similar to the 3d replay in
SeeYou or allow my to sit in a virtual cockpit and look around while
following the trace, and also build a flight simulation interface so I
can fly a plane or glider through it with three axis control. So far
for flight planning Google Earth is the best I have found for really
looking at terrain and evaluating the potential of ridge flights.

Good old MS Flight Sim is useful but not as good as Google Earth.

Tim

Old January 24th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

TTaylor at cc.usu.edu wrote:
I wish one of the computer experts on the list would come up with a way
to replay IGC files in 3D on Google Earth similar to the 3d replay in
SeeYou or allow my to sit in a virtual cockpit and look around while
following the trace, and also build a flight simulation interface so I
can fly a plane or glider through it with three axis control. So far
for flight planning Google Earth is the best I have found for really
looking at terrain and evaluating the potential of ridge flights.

It looks like the pieces of what you want are falling into place.

Condor, the competition soaring simulator, already has your virtual
cockpit, 3-axis control, and is programmed to work very nicely with a
small head tracking device (TrackIR) that enables a surprisingly
natural-feeling way to "look around", side-to-side and up/down. The
Condor developers are working now on a scenery toolkit that should
allow you to re-create the virtual 3-D soaring location of anywhere you
wish. Release date of the latter TBD. The former is available now and
is a real kick.

Regards,

-Doug

Old January 24th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As a Bald Eagle ridge novice (first decent flight last fall) I, too,
wish there was a flight sim w/the ridge terrain and complexities it
offers as the wind changes. "Flying" Google Earth is O.K. but the
resolution below 5000' isn't that great, at least on my machine. It's
much more useful after you seen the ridges for real. My advice woud be
to read Tom's book "Soaring the Bald Eagle Ridge" a few times, get
yourself out there, get a check ride w/Tom or one of his instructors
(req'd), eavesdrop on other pilots and ask questions. No egos that I've
encountered. If you plan on staying in the bunk house bring earplugs!
Apparently, one of the criteria to become an "Irregular" is the ability
drown out, with snoring, the sound of freight trains that pass very
nearby.

Mike

Old January 27th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd also have a look at the Silent Wings simulator. It's got all the
features you mention (TrackIR, nmea output for PDAs, etc etc), and there's
a 2 week demo you can try out. Really brilliant, I bought it a couple of
months back.

There is already a huge Minden-based scenery included (also in the demo
version), and I've heard there is a Appalachian ridge scenery in the
works.. Maybe you can ask on the forum on the website! (www.silentwings.no)

Cheers,
pg

Old January 27th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
I'd also have a look at the Silent Wings simulator. It's got all the
features you mention (TrackIR, nmea output for PDAs, etc etc), and there's
a 2 week demo you can try out. Really brilliant, I bought it a couple of
months back.

There is already a huge Minden-based scenery included (also in the demo
version), and I've heard there is a Appalachian ridge scenery in the
works.. Maybe you can ask on the forum on the website! (
www.silentwings.no)

I've heard good things about Silent Wings, but have never tried it. If
it accurately replicates the desired terrain then it could be that all
of the pieces are in place now.

The really nice thing about the accurate NMEA output is you can load
your own PDA with the turnpoints and actually fly some "tasks" to get
used to the area and what it looks like. It's also good practice for
interacting with your PDA and its software while under the duress of
flying your virtual glider.

Thanks.

-Doug