How About Story Time

Old April 25th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How About Story Time

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 7:56:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Long time stalker, first time poster.
My first story is about how thankful I am for Hank Nixon and Diane Black's generosity. I apologizing for not thanking you ~40 years later is IMHO better than not at all. I haven't had anything to deal with soaring for a long time, but so many of my best memories have to deal with soaring and contests. First things first. My dad (Mike Teter; MJ) was a member of the Harris Hill Soaring Society (HHSC). I got to go to many contests and had the great fortune of being a "spotter" for Charlie Spratt back at the first 15-Meter Nationals at Bryan, OH back in 1976(?). I have good memories of working the gate at Region 5 in Chester (despite constantly having teenager fights with my dad during the contests). I spent my teenage years as a junior member of the HHSC (IMHO, one of the best opportunities on the planet). I flew ok, but wasn't anything special. My memory/story is that right before the start of 10th grade, several of the HHSC juniors and some of the grownups took some ships (2-33/1-26) out to Middletown Soaring Club for an excursion. We all had a great time (sorry for the food poisoning puking in your basement due to some bad Pizza Hut pizza). I didn't know it at the time, but my parents had decided to separate... I don't know the details, but Hank and Diane let me stay with them for a week or so rather than deal with the drama. Diane drove me home in one of her fun cars (I want to say it was a Rover instead of a Jag). I'm now 54-years old. Ex-spook. PhD. Had a lot of fun, but still. I remember Hank and Diane doing something very kind and I appreciate it. Thank you.
Eventually, I ended up in NM doing nuclear weapons work, but I never felt that Moriarty (despite being 5 miles from my ranch) was a good place for kids (unlike HHSC). I also got to be one of Charlie Spratt's kids. That was great, although if I could, I wish I could tell Charlie that I'm sorry for being a pain in the ass. Cheers.
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 11:40:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Maybe this is a good opportunity for some of us to share some stories of our experiences.
I'll go first.-

During the regional at Harris Hill in 2013 I was flying K21 with grandson Calvin Mampe, Rachel Conklin, and her sister Michelle. All 3 had flown multiple contests with me before, 2 having done so before they were old enough to solo.
Half way through the contest, my wife Dianne had a terrible fall and ended up hospitalized with some very serious injuries. All 3 of the juniors had good flights with me earlier in the contest so I told them to just keep on flying.
On Friday, Calvin and Rachel flew but decided to abandon the task part way around the course due to rain. They did not want to land out and take the ship apart in the rain. Smart!
The next day Rachel and Michelle flew together. About 4:00 I was in the ICU with Dianne when Calvin called. When I answered, he simply said “K21 four miles”. Our 2 young ladies had flown the course for a reasonable score. To my knowledge, this is the first time two young sisters had ever flown in competition. We had a seriously great group hug that night. This may be my best ever moment as a supporter of youth soaring.
Following up- Michelle is now an A&P working for Textron and just finished her first restoration, a 1-26E. Rachel is instructing at Flight Safety and soon will have all the requirements for her ATP.

UH

Sorry for the typos. Booze. I'd also like to add that I remember and appreciate all of the time that I spent with getting flight instruction (FI)and playing chess with Dave Welles, FI and general pointing me in a positive direction by John "Corky" Gill, and playing chess with Judge Hal Lattimore. Also, thanks to Herbie Mozer for my first joint in a hot tub. (p.s. the CIA knows).
Old April 25th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Sorry for the typos. Booze. I'd also like to add that I remember and
apprec=
iate all of the time that I spent with getting flight instruction (FI)and
p=
laying chess with Dave Welles, FI and general pointing me in a

positive
dir=
ection by John "Corky" Gill, and playing chess with Judge Hal

Lattimore.
Al=
so, thanks to Herbie Mozer for my first joint in a hot tub. (p.s. the CIA
k=
nows).

How about when your father thought that he would slay the 1970
Standard Nationals competition with his secret Corning IR scope to
see thermals with. He sneaked it into his 1-23 before take-off on
one contest day, having never tried it before. Once he got off tow,
he tried to raise it to look for thermals, only to find that it was so
long that it hit the canopy to where he could only see his instrument
panel through the scope. Busted.......but he joked about it later.
He was a nice guy...

RO

Old April 25th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That come from the life style poly?

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 25th 20, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

If nothing else...since I was crew and other stuff back then....WTF you saying????

I was normally crew back then, heard many things...can't say I ever heard what you're proposing...

Yes, sitting back in the back for weather briefing, weather God was stating "good day" while his comment was drowned out by rain on tin roof...

Sigh....
Old May 1st 20, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Nick Kennedy wrote on 4/18/2020 4:12 PM:
GETTING HIGH IN PAROWAN UTAH
I had been to a couple of the Marfa spring wave camps sponsored by Dick Johnson in the early 2000's so I knew what a Shear Wave was/is. Got to 23k+ in my 1958 Ka6CR. Great fun, some good story's from those meets.

Fast forward to a few years later in a early Region 9 contest in Parowan Ut..
Flying my aSW 20 XS.
Due to a 1st day navigation error I was about last on the score sheet.
We take off on this kinda windy blue day, Top of the start is around 10k.
Well I climb up super high for no real reason, waiting for the start gate to open. I'm up over 17k in the blue, when my thermal peters out and I bump into what I recognize from Marfa is a shear wave. I want to exploit this thing so I think real quick and turn off my logger, and slowly s-turn my way up to over 22k and drift way back to the NE. Then someone comes over the radio and says " Hey isn't that a glider super high about 15 miles NE? Jeez I was spotted. I pulled my hat low over my eyes.
The start gate was going to open in about 15 minutes so I lowered my gear and flaps and opened the dive brakes and descended down to 10k to get a start.
After that, the rest of the day I felt so low.
I like getting up over 20k, the air is so nice and crisp up there.
Nick

How do you recognize a shear wave, compared to the usual mountain lee wave?

Old May 1st 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Eric
Good Morning
Like I said I went to 2 of Dick Johnson's camps at Marfa to fly the Shear Wave.
I got about 10 flights in there.
Others please chime in here as I don't really understand these waves, but here is what I know.
They Are Not classic Mt. lee Waves.
Marfa tends to be pretty breezy/ windy in the spring.
At the first pilot meeting Dick asked who had never been here before and after the usual, do this, don't do that, don't crash,pick up your trash talk he had a meeting for us newbies.
He told us to thermal up as high as we could and then instead of putting the nose down and speeding off, keep the nose up and sniff around and try to transition into the shear wave. It is a area that moves about 1/2 the wind speed and is variable from 1-3 knots up. He explained it was caused by a wind shift. Like say in Marfa the wind at 12k might be 270 @ 28, then just above the wind might be say 230 @ 35. I don't understand how but this bounce occurs in Marfa but you S Turn and 360 in this area going up to stay in it, and you can get pretty high. You slowly drift downwind while climbing. And its smooth.
Like I said I don't really understand it- even now, but its there on a regular enough basis to have camps.
Dick and his wife were great and very helpful to me at these camps!
When he saw my Ka6CR he knew it was not the highest performing ship in the fleet so he pulled out my map and marked some places to put it down NE of Marfa if I came up short, which I did one day, which is another story for Story Time.

Old May 1st 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le vendredi 1 mai 2020 16:26:49 UTC+2, Nick Kennedy a écrit*:
[...]

I had a similar thing in Norther Germany (which is as flat as flat can get)..
Wind shear at a little less than cloudbase (with well developed streets) created a wave with the Cu clouds as obstacles, and I was able to climb 2000 ft above cloud base.
Old May 1st 20, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This has also been experienced in extreme South Florida, appx. 90 degree windshift at top of convection. I don't think there are secondary, tertiary - perhaps not "wave", but laminar flow over the top of the intruding mixed layer?
Old May 1st 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:40:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

This is often called "thermal wave" as it seems to need thermals to
get it going; it used to be a fairly frequent occurence in Eastern Canada
in the '70s and 80s.
In 1977 on a day with cloud streets at 7000 ft, I transitioned into
weak wave at cloudbase. It got better high up and I was still climbing 2kts
at 16K; the Cu had become lennies stretching as far as one could see.
I published a paper with the met. details at the 1978 Ostiv conf..

Despite regular flying in the last 20 years, I have not encountered
any thermal wave since! Climate change?

John Firth
Old May 1st 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 7:15:18 PM UTC+1, john firth wrote:
[...]

I don't think that shear wave is necessarily dependent on thermals below it.. I have seen otherwise inexplicable clearly delineated shear wave in the early mornings over flat central South Africa long before the thermals got going. This upper wave system persisted after the thermals started but the base of it, and top of the thermals, were above the 14500ft (10,000 agl) airspace limit.