Purchase of glider from Canada

Old May 6th 20, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Purchase of glider from Canada

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 7:43:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 9:58:48 PM UTC-7, Mike Reid wrote:
I guess it's because I had the proper paperwork with me, but when I towed a glider from the lower 48 to Alaska in May, neither Canadian nor US customs asked for any paperwork for the glider or trailer. YMMV

Mike

Mike, what paperwork was needed to move a US SH glider and Cobra trailer from the US to a new owner in Canada?

Here is what Transport Canada requires:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...-aircraft.html

I believe there may a problem importing an aircraft to Canada registered experimental in the US. Best to review this carefully before proceeding:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...-menu-2753.htm

Tom

Old May 6th 20, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

For the trailer, here's the website with all the info. https://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx ; also check the "before you import" list on the left side.
Old May 6th 20, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

"I believe there may a problem importing an aircraft to Canada registered experimental in the US. Best to review this carefully before proceeding"

Many factory built gliders in the US are registered Experimental. In my case, I imported an Experimental ASW-20 from the US to Canada where it received a Standard CofA. Later it was sold back to the US where it is now Experimental.

The real thing to watch for is inadequate documentation of any repairs.

Dave Springford coordinates imports. I was happy to use him even after I had already done an import on my own:

http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/...port-brokering
Old May 6th 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The advantage of an Experimental glider, is that the owner can do whatever he likes to it. The disadvantage of an Experimental glider, is that the previous owner did whatever he liked to it.

Old May 6th 20, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 2:18:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The advantage of an Experimental glider, is that the owner can do whatever he likes to it. The disadvantage of an Experimental glider, is that the previous owner did whatever he liked to it.

This is one of the most common misunderstandings in US soaring activity.
Sentence One is wrong.
You must read the FAA-issued Operating Limitations for any individual machine to know what may be done by whom to the machine.

Sentence Two is likely correct, multiplied and compounded by each owner since the import. This is the result of the American assertion of "I bought it. It's mine, I can do what I want with it."

That view might apply to cars, motorcycles, jet skis and multiple other toys, but it doesn't apply well to aviation machines.

If you plan to buy a used sailplane in the US, please get a glider-experienced A & P or IA to assist you with a paperwork read through (at the least) before you buy a pig-in-a-poke.

Cindy B

Old May 7th 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Completely agree with Cindy.

Will just add that Canadians need to engage an MD-M (Minister's Delegate - Maintenance) to read over any repair paperwork. MD-Ms are super fussy. It helps a lot if the MD-M knows the repair facility.
Old May 7th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

The advantage of an Experimental glider, is that the owner can do whatever
he likes to it. The disadvantage of an Experimental glider, is that the
previous owner did whatever he liked to it.

Sheesh. A little oversimplification sure can go a long ways.

Maybe I just happened to come across the above sentiments at a weak moment,
but as someone who owned/flew 3 Experimentally-registered sailplanes
(Concept-70; HP-14; Zuni) over 34 years...and never felt my life was at risk
due to anything associated with those ships *not* having approved type
certificates...and who did a LOT of owner-maintenance (all entirely legally)
over those years - and all logged 'because I thought it was the right thing to
do' (regardless of FARs) - part of me wonders if 'the whole EAA thing' (of
which I've also been a member since 1979) is some sort of mirage.

If it floats your boat to 'go only the ATC-ed route' have at it! But to snark
at those folks who *enjoy* 'messing about with things experimental' as
lunatic-fringe-sorts, says a whole lot more about the expresser of those
opinions than it does about the (generally responsible) practitioners of 'the
experimental arts.' Think Stan Hall, Jim Marske, Dick Schreder, George
Applebay, Wil Schuemann, Burt Rutan, et (many-other-'nameless') al...

Perfection ain't an option when it comes to humans, as casual reading of (say)
a year's worth of NTSB Final Reports of general aviation fatal accidents of
ONLY ATC-registered airplanes (and gliders) will unequivocally show.
Suggesting ATC-registered airplane/glider owners are definitionally 'more
responsible' than owners of Experimentally-registered airplanes/gliders is
well beyond fatuous. Please...spare us all.

There - I feel better now!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

New pilot looking for glider to purchase. Kirk Robertson Soaring 22 February 13th 18 02:39 PM
First glider inspection/purchase help (not model) tstock Soaring 7 April 12th 11 07:33 AM
First Glider Purchase brian d Soaring 14 September 22nd 06 05:34 PM
Glider purchase fraud Bob Caldwell Soaring 3 January 31st 06 02:49 AM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 07:00 PM