A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

Old June 2nd 20, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

I don't know if anyone else is using this site, but it's nice to see the US weather patterns in a visual summary.

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/large/

Craig
JN
Old June 2nd 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Craig Funston wrote on 6/2/2020 9:29 AM:
I don't know if anyone else is using this site, but it's nice to see the US weather patterns in a visual summary.

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/large/

Craig
JN

I like this site because it offers CONUS down to state level views, with better
than 1km resolution, so I can see even small cu.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parm...rbar=undefined

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old June 2nd 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kerry
external usenet poster

Great point. Been using the last 2 GOES hi-res satellites since, I think, Walt Wx posted them. Some beta sites for those are still active and offer additional weather and navigational overlays.

Any cleaver techies out there that could find a way to stream this product into a glider at altitude? I looked into Stratus, Sirius and direct satellite (ADS-B?) but don't see they offer this.
Old June 2nd 20, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Kerry wrote on 6/2/2020 10:50 AM:
Great point. Been using the last 2 GOES hi-res satellites since, I think, Walt Wx posted them. Some beta sites for those are still active and offer additional weather and navigational overlays.

Any cleaver techies out there that could find a way to stream this product into a glider at altitude? I looked into Stratus, Sirius and direct satellite (ADS-B?) but don't see they offer this.

I sometimes get my referenced high resolution satellite image website in the air
on my phone, but Verizon isn't always available, or isn't fast enough (though
texts might still work).

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old June 2nd 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:50:40 PM UTC+2, Kerry wrote:

You can already get the realtime GOES high-res satellite photo on an LX9000 (with the wifi module, tethered to your phone) via the SkySight integration.

Even if the signal is very poor, it will keep trying until it gets through. Don't put your phone in the side pocket against your carbon fuselage though, mount it somewhere clear of the canopy rail.
Old June 3rd 20, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Fine subscription product, but it also relies on the same cell phone reception which is, at best, iffy above ~4,000ft agl. One can buy small cell "booster" units that marginally improve reception. Ideally, you'd want a satellite phone or small sat receiver that can process the raw GOES data on board.. Unless someone knows that Stratus/Siriius already provides this capability. And, yes, I would pay a chunk of money to know if that cumulus street I'm in extends more than the couple miles I can see ahead. Wouldn't have to worry so much about firing up the turbo.
Old June 3rd 20, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 3 June 2020 02:33:24 UTC+2, wrote:
Fine subscription product, but it also relies on the same cell phone reception which is, at best, iffy above ~4,000ft agl. One can buy small cell "booster" units that marginally improve reception. Ideally, you'd want a satellite phone or small sat receiver that can process the raw GOES data on board. Unless someone knows that Stratus/Siriius already provides this capability. And, yes, I would pay a chunk of money to know if that cumulus street I'm in extends more than the couple miles I can see ahead. Wouldn't have to worry so much about firing up the turbo.

Iffy is typically enough - really, try mounting it above the canopy rail and you'll see reception frequently enough to download a satellite image in almost all flying sites every half hour.

I've heard all manner of theories as to why it doesn't work in region X because the cell phone towers point down or there's too many cells etc etc, but the majority report it actually does work when they actually no longer keep their phone in the side pocket or only pop it out occasionally, see no signal then put it back.

In some regions I've had better results disabling 2G on my phone (4G/3G only).

Tested personally in Europe at FL200, in Namibia/South Africa/Minden at FL180, in Australia at FL160.

Some users have bought satellite wifi units but they're prohibitively expensive unfortunately.
I hope that in the future we'll see decent 4G antennas in the tail plumbed directly to instruments so that this isn't an issue any more.

A ground-based ADS-B solution would be great but will likely only ever be a regional setup.
Old June 4th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 11:41:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Some users have bought satellite wifi units but they're prohibitively expensive unfortunately.

Maybe a Starlink base station will be compact enough to carry in the glider...

https://www.starlink.com/

5Z
Old June 4th 20, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

https://spacenews.com/spacex-plans-t...vices-in-2020/

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:14:11 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 11:41:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Maybe a Starlink base station will be compact enough to carry in the glider...

https://www.starlink.com/

5Z

Old June 12th 20, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Hey Craig and Eric
Thanks for posting those links to those satellite images.
I've added both to my bookmarks and I really like them!
Nick
T