A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

eccentric wing pin tool

Old July 12th 20, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default eccentric wing pin tool

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 12:02:01 AM UTC+12, wrote:
Is anyone still making eccentric wing pin tools,
I have a Nimbus 2 that is a bitch to get the wings in the last 15ml/ half inch even with everything aligned correctly on the marks.
With my self built electric wing rigger I can do everything but that last bit.
I am making her complete one man system

Gary

I thank everybody for the suggestions which I will work through as soon as
the rain stops and the ground firms up again.
My engineer says that my ship has very tight tolerances on all metal components
(no wear) which pleases him!
She has relatively low hours for her years thus little wear.
There are a couple of small areas the flap teflon seal tapes are starting to lift slightly,any suggestions (glues) to extend their life?

Gary

Old July 12th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

There are a couple of small areas the flap teflon seal tapes are starting to lift slightly,any suggestions (glues) to extend their life?

For mylar seals, new transfer and safety tape after cleaning out the old with acetone. Will be interested to see what answer shows up for teflon tapes.

Old July 14th 20, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 8:20:27 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
As always Tom, we are glad you know more than the rest of us. I am sorry I only have 30 years of rigging 4 different SH gliders, including a Nimbus 2, and have found that often lack of cleaning has made a major difference in the ability to get rig them. Alignment is critical, but it it is not going the last few mm it is often cleaning. But again you know everything and we mere beginners must know very little compared to your vast knowledge.

Your sarcasm is noted. Well, I have FORTY YEARS rigging a variety of gliders. Note that I said "lubing is not a bad thing" - what part of that did you miss? Go back and reread it. And when the lubing doesn't do the trick, follow the tips I gave (that is meant for the rest of you, Tim is obviously to thick headed to learn).

Tom
Old July 14th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

There can be other causes for rigging difficulties, e.g., the first time
I helped Tom Bjork rig his ASH-30 mi, we were absolutely unable to get
the second main pin inserted.Â* After a long struggle, we removed the
second wing inboard panel and found one of those tiny R-clips which are
used to secure l'Hotelier fittings on the shelf. That tiny thickness was
enough to prevent alignment of the pin bushings.

On 7/13/2020 10:16 PM, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 8:20:27 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
As always Tom, we are glad you know more than the rest of us. I am sorry I only have 30 years of rigging 4 different SH gliders, including a Nimbus 2, and have found that often lack of cleaning has made a major difference in the ability to get rig them. Alignment is critical, but it it is not going the last few mm it is often cleaning. But again you know everything and we mere beginners must know very little compared to your vast knowledge.

Your sarcasm is noted. Well, I have FORTY YEARS rigging a variety of gliders. Note that I said "lubing is not a bad thing" - what part of that did you miss? Go back and reread it. And when the lubing doesn't do the trick, follow the tips I gave (that is meant for the rest of you, Tim is obviously to thick headed to learn).

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 14th 20, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

A few of us were helping a fellow pilot assemble his brand-new HpH 304 several years ago, and clearances were so tight that it was a real struggle. One British observer said, "Oh just take it out and ground-loop it a few times. It will loosen right up!"
Old July 14th 20, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

the "bedding in" process recommended by
(some? many? all?) manufacturers of semi-automatic shotguns, who suggest the
first 20 rounds or so should be magnum loads...by way of exercising the
precision sliding bits under maximum-routine, high-stress, conditions in
expectation of achieving the longest/smoothest operating lifetime.

Using that theory, a new automobile should be "broken in properly" by winding it up to max RPM and driven as fast as possible directly off the showroom floor until it loosens up. Or breaks.

However, I regularly test electronic components this way. If they are going to fail, they are likeliest to do so early in their life. If they succeed in passing a large number of cycles, they will probably last quite a while. We had a batch of relays that failed after a short stress test, but the next batch (probably from another production run) is still going strong a year later.
Old July 14th 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:52:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
the "bedding in" process recommended by
(some? many? all?) manufacturers of semi-automatic shotguns, who suggest the
first 20 rounds or so should be magnum loads...by way of exercising the
precision sliding bits under maximum-routine, high-stress, conditions in
expectation of achieving the longest/smoothest operating lifetime.

Using that theory, a new automobile should be "broken in properly" by winding it up to max RPM and driven as fast as possible directly off the showroom floor until it loosens up. Or breaks.

However, I regularly test electronic components this way. If they are going to fail, they are likeliest to do so early in their life. If they succeed in passing a large number of cycles, they will probably last quite a while. We had a batch of relays that failed after a short stress test, but the next batch (probably from another production run) is still going strong a year later.

I take the "Captain Ron" approach. "If it going to break, it is going to break out there."
Old July 14th 20, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm
external usenet poster

The boat i run usually never breaks at the dock, it breaks at the beginning of a longer trip usually. Murphy was a seaman.
My quote to the crew, "Only new parts and old parts are suspect. The ones in the middle of their service life are fine."