A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

wing tape

Old August 9th 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:04:44 AM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I've been using the wing tape sold by Craggy, but I'm not happy with it. It's very stretchy, which is good, but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose. Do the Bowlus or 3M tapes sink into the gap?

Ben - if the tape is 'sinking into the gaps', especially when going around the leading edge, you may have stretched it too much before applying it to the surface. After unrolling a length, just stick the first inch or so into the surface and wait for the vinyl to contract again, then apply it without a lot of pull-force.
BTW - take a look at https://www.tapedepot.com/ If it comes on a roll and is sticky on at least one side, they have it. As far as the white vinyl goes, the quality is at least that of the 3M brand but they sell it for way less. They even carry special sizes like 1" or 2" or the textile tape used on the rudder. Look for 'Gaffer Tape'.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 9th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 2:26:29 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
I've been using the wing tape sold by Craggy, but I'm not happy with it.. It's very stretchy, which is good, but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose. Do the Bowlus or 3M tapes sink into the gap?

Ben - if the tape is 'sinking into the gaps', especially when going around the leading edge, you may have stretched it too much before applying it to the surface. After unrolling a length, just stick the first inch or so into the surface and wait for the vinyl to contract again, then apply it without a lot of pull-force.
BTW - take a look at https://www.tapedepot.com/ If it comes on a roll and is sticky on at least one side, they have it. As far as the white vinyl goes, the quality is at least that of the 3M brand but they sell it for way less. They even carry special sizes like 1" or 2" or the textile tape used on the rudder. Look for 'Gaffer Tape'.

Uli
'AS'

Gaffers tape is a polyurethane over a cloth laminate and may not stretch the way you require.

Richard
Old August 10th 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

Gaffers tape is a polyurethane over a cloth laminate and may not stretch the way you require.

Also much thicker.
Old August 10th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 6:59:22 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
I've been using the wing tape sold by Craggy, but I'm not happy with it. It's very stretchy, which is good, but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose. Do the Bowlus or 3M tapes sink into the gap?

Uli
'AS'

Richard

Where does it need to stretch? Not stretching is the whole point!

Uli
'AS'
Old August 10th 20, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:

Uli
'AS'

Richard

Uli
'AS'

Old August 10th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

Uli
'AS'

Richard

Uli
'AS'

When the wing flexes the tape can be stretched repeatedly a small amount. And a tape's ability to stretch is reduced when exposed to cold temperatures of high altitude. After having the glider assembled for weeks at a time I see splits in even the excellent 3M electricians' tape I use.

Tom
Old August 10th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 8:55:30 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

Uli
'AS'

Richard

Uli
'AS'

When the wing flexes the tape can be stretched repeatedly a small amount. And a tape's ability to stretch is reduced when exposed to cold temperatures of high altitude. After having the glider assembled for weeks at a time I see splits in even the excellent 3M electricians' tape I use.

Tom

Tom - please read the last part of my original post. I am talking about the cloth tape used on the rudder - not the vinyl tape that holds the wings on! ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old August 10th 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 8:17:11 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Ben,

About your comment that, "...but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose." Why do you feel that the tape sinking into the gap between the wing root and the fuselage is something to be avoided?

To me the main purpose of wing tape is to seal the gap against air intrusion, not necessarily to continue the wing's airfoil without deformation. It seems that all wing tape "sinks" to one extent or another.

My $0.02.

If the main purpose of wing tape is to seal against air intrusion, that problem could be better solved with a simple rubber gasket where the wing joins the fuselage.

It's just common sense that you would not want any departures from a smooth surface at the wing root. If you want to claim that it doesn't make a difference aerodynamically, then show me the data.

Old August 10th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

The best tape is the 3M 483, but the price has gotten so out of hand that it is hard to justify. It will not sink in as much as the other tapes. One option is to make some thin mylar covers that you tape over with the softer tape. This will prevent the tape from sinking into the gap.

I still have a few rolls of 483 that use only when I can’t use something else. I have been researching alternatives and looking to buy some to test.

3M white electrical tape is what I use for anything that doesn’t need 483.
Old August 10th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz
external usenet poster

Default wing tape

At 17:59 10 August 2020, Tim Taylor wrote:
The best tape is the 3M 483, but the price has gotten so out of

hand that
i=
t is hard to justify. It will not sink in as much as the other tapes.
One=
option is to make some thin mylar covers that you tape over with

the
softe=
r tape. This will prevent the tape from sinking into the gap. =20

I still have a few rolls of 483 that use only when I can=E2=80=99t

use
some=
thing else. I have been researching alternatives and looking to

buy some
t=
o test.=20

3M white electrical tape is what I use for anything that

doesn=E2=80=99t
ne=
ed 483.

One of our club members was a master machinist and came up with
the idea to slice the 1" 483 tape into 1/2" rolls in order to double
the amount of uses one could get from an expensive roll of that
tape. Unfortunately, he passed away, but beforehand had cut me
about 15 rolls of it. It lasted me for years, but as I finally neared
the end of my supply, I Googled the 483 tape and looked for
equivalents from sources other than 3M. I found something similar,
but just a little stiffer, on a closeout in 2" x 60!! yard rolls which I
bought and had another club machinist slice into 4 x 1/2" - 60!!
yard rolls. Due to its length, one roll will go for a long time. I
probably have 20 or 30 rolls left, so if you want to try one, send me
an email. $10 + shipping. Pics at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/deSxU1mUj7XctTXY7

RO