returning to flying after 29 years

Old April 29th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

Default returning to flying after 29 years

I got my pilot license in 1978 when I was 20, continued flying into
1979 accumulating a total of 70 hours, and then stopped when I became
a university student and had neither money nor time. But I've been
longing to get back into it all this time, and yesterday, my wife
totally surprised me for my birthday by taking me to the airport and
saying, "you're going flying". Sure enough, she had scheduled time
with an instructor and a C-172, and she said she was giving her
blessing on my doing whatever it takes to get current again.

So I went through the preflight with the instructor, took off and
climbed out with relatively minimal prompting, successfully executed
two 360-degree steep turns (the instructor actually told me I did them
more accurately with respect to altitude and attitude than he could
have done!), a touch and go landing, and then a final landing. Okay,
so I flared a little high on my first landing but managed to recover
and land without a bounce - I had a bit of that tendency even when I
was flying regularly.

The net result is that I convinced myself that I can handle (or will
soon handle) the physical part of flying about as well and safely as I
ever could. Also, I'm a professional meteorologist, so I probably
still know the weather stuff about as well as anyone who flies.

It's everything else that's got me nervous: tower communications,
controlled airspace, etc. Among other things, I realize that the
entire airspace classification system has changed since I last flew.

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has suggestions on how to smooth the
transition back to regular flying most cost-effectively. Are there
books or computer software packages that would do an especially good
job of refreshing me on the parts I feel weak on, so that I can save
dual-time for the things that can't be covered well via self-study?

Side note: When I last flew, a C-152 was $19/hour wet, a C-172 was
$24/hour. There was no GPS. There were effectively no electronic
navigation calculators. There was only one fuel sump checkpoint in
each wing, and (to my recollection at least) no strobes on wingtips.
Also fewer switches to mess with on the panel. The C-172 engine was
carbureted, not fuel-injection. And yet, overall, I'm amazed at how
little the 172 has changed in three decades.

Old April 29th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 28, 4:39*pm, Qzectb wrote:
It's everything else that's got me nervous: *tower communications,
controlled airspace, etc. *Among other things, I realize that the
entire airspace classification system has changed since I last flew.

You are in good company. Most of the pilots I work with that haven't
flown in years feel the same way. Not a big deal.

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. *It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. *Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

No. There have been some small changes (airspace, etc). However, most
of it is just that you haven't done it in awhile. There are lots of
great training aids out there that I recommend to my students.
Depending on where you are in general I would recommend one of the
following products....

1) King Private Pilot Exam course (covers all ground work, great in
you really feel rusty)
http://www.kingschools.com/searchRes...Exam%20Courses
2) King VFR Flight Review (better for those that just need refresher,
includes the stuff below)
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...0KSJV033CSEDVD

The follow are more spot tools if you have specific areas you want to
addres...

3) King Communications (if you just want to brush up on radios)
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV017DVD
4)King Airspace review
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV009DVD
5) King regs review
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV033DVD

I recommend King only because I know their products, but there are
others. In general I feel that its a better use of your time and money
to try these inexpensive DVD courses first and then review with the
CFI. While I can teach you all this as a CFI the DVDs contain a lot of
good graphics and can be watched at any time. Then when we get
together you have a great starting point from which to discuss
questions. Although you noticed communications was something you were
rusty on, I find that regulations and airspace need a lot of review
for those that have been out of flying for awhile.

-Robert, CFII
Old April 29th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

No. There have been some small changes (airspace, etc). However, most
of it is just that you haven't done it in awhile. There are lots of

I hope you're right. Just to be clear, it's not interpretation of
instructions that I find difficult. It's just that every second word
usually sounds like raw static to my ears. "cessna two echo static
turn static static contact static at one three three static
five." It's like trying to understand a conversation in a very
noisy bar. But maybe practice is the key.

2) King VFR Flight Review (better for those that just need refresher,
includes the stuff
below)http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...0KSJV033CSEDVD

Just ordered this.... thanks for the helpful suggestion and the
encouragement.

Old April 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Bruce

"Qzectb" wrote in message

[...]

I was off for about years. I soloed on my 16th birthday in 1963, back
with "coffee grinder" radios where you had to ask the controller for a
"channel check count" to tune in the frequency. The I quit flying in 1980
until two years ago.

Like you, I found somewhat surprisingly, that I could sitll fly pretty well.
My instructor said it was kind of like water skiing. Once you learn, it
kind of stays with you.

The biggest differences I've found between then and now some 28 years later
are airspace classifications and navigation technology. It was sort of
intimidating at first, and not the easiest thing to pick up at age 62, but
I'm glad I got back into it. And I know you will be too. Good luck!

Old April 29th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Qzectb wrote:

It's everything else that's got me nervous: tower communications,
controlled airspace, etc. Among other things, I realize that the
entire airspace classification system has changed since I last flew.

It makes a lot more sense now, though, so you'll pick that up much
quicker than a new student.

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible.

I recommend Bob Gardner's book "Say Again, Please" because it's concise
and clear.

Side note: When I last flew, a C-152 was $19/hour wet, a C-172 was
$24/hour. There was no GPS. There were effectively no electronic
navigation calculators.

The E6B hasn't changed, but, I have to admit that the ASA CX-2 flight
computer rocks.

The C-172 engine was carbureted, not fuel-injection. And yet, overall, I'm amazed at how
little the 172 has changed in three decades.

Well, if it's like the ones I rent, it's literally the same plane. :
Old April 29th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Qzectb wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't have any problem at all with this. Just pick a good CFI
and practice a bit to get back up to speed. You will have to do a bit of
catching up on current regs and procedures, and any good program
designed for the purpose should do just fine.
Just relax and enjoy the "upgrade".

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 29th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Qzectb" wrote in message

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

No. There have been some small changes (airspace, etc). However, most
of it is just that you haven't done it in awhile. There are lots of

I hope you're right. Just to be clear, it's not interpretation of
instructions that I find difficult. It's just that every second word
usually sounds like raw static to my ears. "cessna two echo static
turn static static contact static at one three three static
five." It's like trying to understand a conversation in a very
noisy bar. But maybe practice is the 2) King VFR Flight Review (better
for those that just need refresher,
includes the stuff
below)http://wkey.

Buy a nice headset with noise canceling you will hear much better.

Old April 29th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Qzectb" wrote in message

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

http://www.liveatc.net/

Pick an airport...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 29th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"John Smith" wrote

As far as getting used to communications, try listening to liveatc.net.
You can select ground and clearance facilities, tower facilities,
approach/departure facilities, enroute facilities.

Listening to a tower/ground/clearance delivery near you will acquaint
you with reporting points and how traffic is routed into and out of the
airport.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association has a webpage on getting back
into flying after a layoff,

Also, get a good pair of electronic noise reduction headsets. They should
really help your middle aged ears, too. That is what I have found, anyway.

I hear the in the ear headsets are really good, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 29th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Welcome home.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford