weather for pilots?

Old May 7th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

Default weather for pilots?

Are there readers in this newsgroup who have a strong interest in
weather as it relates to aviation? I don't mean just the stuff you
need to get from point A to B safely or to pass your written but
deeper knowledge -- where and why does icing occur? The physics of
thunderstorms? Turbulence? Fog and clouds? How are aviation
forecasts prepared? What is the technology behind automated weather
observations? And how about the meteorological research aircraft that
penetrate hurricanes?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology, and I have already
written a couple of successful college textbooks. I've been thinking
about the above book as my next possible project, but would only
bother if I had a sense that there was real interest.

Old May 7th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Qzectb wrote in news:71fded30-187f-4251-b1be-
:

Are there readers in this newsgroup who have a strong interest in
weather as it relates to aviation? I don't mean just the stuff you
need to get from point A to B safely or to pass your written but
deeper knowledge -- where and why does icing occur?

Cold wing, wet outside.

The physics of
thunderstorms?

Plenty of moisture high lapse rate.

Turbulence?

Air moving around for various reasons.

Fog and clouds?

more moistrue than the air can hold.

How are aviation
forecasts prepared?

Experience and various rules of thumb.

What is the technology behind automated weather
observations?

Various. How long is a piece of string?

And how about the meteorological research aircraft that
penetrate hurricanes?

Yes, the exist.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

Yes.

I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology, and I have already
written a couple of successful college textbooks. I've been thinking
about the above book as my next possible project, but would only
bother if I had a sense that there was real interest.

There might be. The FAA's publication is pretty skimpy and written at a
sixth grade level. The standard by which all others are measured i
Aviation Weather by Peter Lester. It's excellent if you have insomnia.
Also good for the nuts and bolts of meteorology.

Bertie

Bertie
Old May 7th 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On May 7, 5:57*pm, Qzectb wrote:

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot.

I've been told lon good authority that they only lurk here so there's
not much chance of you getting positive support for anything
scientific. If it gives you pleasure do it, but don't expect adulation
from the gallery.

Cheers
Old May 7th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I would personally find such a book interesting.

Unfortunately, with pilot numbers dropping, I suspect your efforts wouldn't
get you on the NY Times best-seller list...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

You may find a wider potential market writing one for the lay public,
or even the traveling public. You'd need huge penetration of the GA
market to do well with a book aimed at us specifically.

Of course, if the book had a centerfold of a Stagger wing Beech. . . .

Old May 7th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I would personally find such a book interesting.

Bull****. the only weather book you're interested in is one that tells you
how to operate a gadget that absolves you from having to think.

Bertie
Old May 7th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

Unfortunately, with pilot numbers dropping, I suspect your efforts wouldn't
get you on the NY Times best-seller list...

If that were my goal, my book would be called "The Pictorial Kama
Sutra Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Rich"

Old May 7th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

If that were my goal, my book would be called "The Pictorial Kama
Sutra Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Rich"

Hey...I'd buy that!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old May 7th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
"Jay Honeck" wrote in

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I would personally find such a book interesting.

Bull****. the only weather book you're interested in is one that tells you
how to operate a gadget that absolves you from having to think.

Bertie

And you couldn't understand the FAAs entry written at the 6th grade level.

Old May 7th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

On May 7, 7:06 am, Tina wrote:
You may find a wider potential market writing one for the lay public,
or even the traveling public. You'd need huge penetration of the GA
market to do well with a book aimed at us specifically.

Depends on how you define "doing well". Since I don't work through a
commercial publisher (and therefore keep a very high percentage of the
sale price of my books), a mere 1000 copies per year would make the
effort worthwhile from my point of view. What would that be as a
percentage of the GA market?