weather for pilots?

Old May 7th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default weather for pilots?

On Tue, 6 May 2008 22:57:53 -0700 (PDT), Qzectb
wrote in
:

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

Perhaps.

How would the work you propose differ from this one:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory... light=2,00-45
Old May 7th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Befor you go overboard, log onton www.chesavtraining.com to see what
meteorologist/flight instructor Scott Dennstaedt is doing. He writes for
several aviation publications and participates in web forums and backs up
what he says with scientific analysis (he worked in modeling for the NWS). I
understand that he is writing a book, and I will be first in line to buy it.

Bob Gardner

"Qzectb" wrote in message

Are there readers in this newsgroup who have a strong interest in
weather as it relates to aviation? I don't mean just the stuff you
need to get from point A to B safely or to pass your written but
deeper knowledge -- where and why does icing occur? The physics of
thunderstorms? Turbulence? Fog and clouds? How are aviation
forecasts prepared? What is the technology behind automated weather
observations? And how about the meteorological research aircraft that
penetrate hurricanes?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology, and I have already
written a couple of successful college textbooks. I've been thinking
about the above book as my next possible project, but would only
bother if I had a sense that there was real interest.

Old May 7th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
"Jay Honeck" wrote in

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I would personally find such a book interesting.

Bull****. the only weather book you're interested in is one that
tells you how to operate a gadget that absolves you from having to
think.

Bertie

And you couldn't understand the FAAs entry written at the 6th grade
level.

Yeh, that must be it, fjukktard.

Bertie
Old May 7th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:nLiUj.99556$TT4.42597
@attbi_s22:

If that were my goal, my book would be called "The Pictorial Kama
Sutra Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Rich"

Hey...I'd buy that!

;-)

I know

Bertie
Old May 8th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

Perhaps.

How would the work you propose differ from this one:http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ry/rgAdvisoryC...

Well, nicer font for one. Oh, and it wouldn't read like an FAA
training manual but more like a commercial non-fiction book with at
least a little personality, real-life stories, anecdotes, case
studies, etc.

Other than that, the above document looks like it has some pretty
useful (if somewhat dated) information.

Old May 8th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Qzectb

On May 7, 10:52 am, "Bob Gardner" wrote:
Befor you go overboard, log ontonwww.chesavtraining.comto see what
meteorologist/flight instructor Scott Dennstaedt is doing. He writes for

Okay, that's the kind of heads-up I was looking for. Looks like he
knows his stuff.

Thanks...

Old May 8th 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
clint

putme on your blue screen i want to be a blue guy!
Qzectb presented the following explanation :
I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology,

Old May 8th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

Why not have a look at http://www.airspace-v.com where you can find
METAR and TAF reports for many airports as well as Yahoo weather for
many locations worldwide. here you can also find NASA's MODIS image of
the day usually also showing some spectacular weather phenomeon.

If you get bored you can also play a little Tetriguli Jawbreaker
virtuPIC
--
Airspace V - international hangar flying!
http://www.airspace-v.com/ggadgets for tools & toys
Old May 8th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On May 6, 10:57 pm, Qzectb wrote:
[...]

Weather is to a pilot as water is to a fish.
(you may quote me ;-).

Understandably weather in ground school was quite
superficial, as pilots are generally not academically
inclined, where alot of algebra is concerned, however
they tend to think in visualizations so use diagrams,
and comics. Vectors and vector analysis (without
calculus) is as deep as I'd go with GA pilots.

One of my hobbies is to watch the contrails as they
fade for signs of turbulence. I live near the Rockies
and right inside an airway so lots of jets fly high over.
Also have a great view of final approach south into
Kelowna, going down the okenagan valley.
Ken
Old May 8th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Check out what's being done in video at http://www.convectionconnection.net/
--
Gene Seibel