soaring video with Flarm in use

Old September 17th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Default soaring video with Flarm in use

The way Flarm works is also dependent on its installation, which as
far as I can see particularly involves the location of the tiny aerial
which gives Flarm to Flarm communication.

My unit is on top of the instrument coaming. This shields it from
transmissions from below, so an approaching glider at a lower level
may be detected some distance away, and then it becomes invisible to
the Flarm unit as it gets close and underneath.

I have also found that on some occasions, a glider has to be really
near before the unit detects it. I don't know why, but it seems to be
somewhat variable.

Nevertheless, I find it very valuable, and these elements of
variability do not make it worthwhile to me to try to develop a
different location for a remote aerial, which in any case would need a
lead that I don't have, although I believe one is available if
required.

Chris N

Old September 17th 10, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hans

It looks like the pilot has put his FLARM in stealth mode. In this mode
only situations in which an impact is expected within the next 18
seconds are annunciated as proximity warnings (alerts). The stealth mode
is used by some pilots to make their position data and lift and sink
information unavailable to other pilots, if this information is not
necessary for proximity warning.

The display used in this gilder annunciates proximity warnings (alerts)
in red, mere proximity information would be displayed in green.

Am 17.09.2010 21:51, schrieb db_sonic:
On Sep 16, 10:44 am, wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRX1...ayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in action.

Brad

Is it just me? I am surprised the Flarm doesnt light up more.
Its like the pilot looks right and sees the other glider before the
Flarm lights up.
And that other guy is close!

Old September 17th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Green??
I dont think so, the only green leds on flarms are those blinking for gps
transmission, power etc.
All informations are red, either fixed or blinking.
I dont think they were in "stealth" mode, it is tricky to use it and -
then - your PDA won't receive traffic informations.
Moreover, stealth mode is bypassable using an alternative "compatible"
device, on the market, so it is not a choice.

Old September 17th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 17, 2:25*pm, Chris Nicholas wrote:
[...]

now I'm worried...............I have a carbon fiber airframe.

Brad
Old September 17th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

now I'm worried...............I have a carbon fiber airframe.

Brad- Hide quoted text -

So do I, and I think the coaming is also carbon fibre.

Regarding colours, I have the simplest Flarm, and it does have green
lights for contacts that are not a threat. It only shows red when a
contact turns into a threat.

Chris N
Old September 17th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

Green is proximity red alarm.Stealth is compulsory in rated comps to reduce
leeching.There has been a lot of discusion in the uk about degrading the
signal for comps,but there seems little choice because you can see
everyone elses speed and rate of climb on the pda if they are not in
stealth mode.

Old September 18th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 9/17/2010 2:38 PM, Brad wrote:
On Sep 17, 2:25 pm, Chris wrote:

Nevertheless, I find it very valuable, and these elements of
variability do not make it worthwhile to me to try to develop a
different location for a remote aerial, which in any case would need a
lead that I don't have, although I believe one is available if
required.

Chris N

now I'm worried...............I have a carbon fiber airframe.

You should be fine - PowerFlarm has higher power output than Flarm, and
you can add a second Flarm antenna.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old September 18th 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:22:23 GMT, "PCool"
wrote:

Actually the FLARM should light up stable (no blinking, and no sound) for
such a case.

It's a question of the setting.
This Flarm is set to "warnings only" where it only lightens up in case
of a possible collision.

What you mean is the "proximity mode" where the Flarm always shows the
direction to the closest target.

Regards
Andreas
Old September 18th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

To me the stealth and competition modes are a bad idea. They reduce the
effectiveness of the alerts.

As a sometimes contest manager, I would never mandate anything that would
reduce safety.

Paul Remde

Old September 18th 10, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

Competition mode might be considered to slightly reduce safety but
stealth mode (which is the mode mandated at UK contests this year)
should not diminish the collision warning functionality. I think that
the naming of the two modes could be improved. There is a good
explanation of them he

http://www.flarm.com/support/Flarm_Competitions.pdf

BTW - the early LX Red Box Flarm remote displays had only red LEDs but
all 2006 onwards Swiss Flarm and later LX displays have the two
colours. I presume that the glider in the video had an early Red Box
and I think that all the Flarm display lights in the video are
proximity alerts rather than collision warnings - which is why the
direction sometimes switches as a different glider in the group
becomes he closest one.

It is good to see a positive attitude to Flarm use emerging in the
US. For those who feel that there is no point in having one unless
every glider does "it ain't necessarily so". The gliders that we are
most likely to collide with are the ones that we would least like to
take out our: friends who we fly XC with, other competitors in a
contest and training gliders doing multiple circuits at the home
field. Concentrating on organizing clusters of Flarms in the gliders
that are relevant to one's own circumstances can improve personal
risks (of death or regret) quite considerably more than is apparent
from the overall proportion of gliders with the device. Peer pressure
works quite well to encourage such clusters and helps them to spread
out.

John Galloway

On Sep 16, 10:44 am, Brad *wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRX1...ayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in some

of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in action.

Brad

Is it just me? I am surprised the Flarm doesnt light up more.
Its like the pilot looks right and sees the other glider before the
Flarm lights up.
And that other guy is close!

Soaring promo video Frank Whiteley Soaring 2 July 7th 10 01:28 AM
my 2009 soaring video Luke[_4_] Soaring 17 October 30th 09 04:43 PM
New Soaring Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 October 11th 06 10:13 PM
Brazilian Soaring Video!!! [email protected] Soaring 12 March 27th 06 11:33 PM
New soaring video at SSA convention JuanM Soaring 1 February 1st 04 05:18 AM