Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

Old August 9th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

There was quite a thread storm 11 months ago here about the TT21
transponder. I assume some of the 'early adopters' here purchased and
installed one. Any complaints??
Old August 9th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyingmr2

I read that the Trigg is ADB-S out compliant. Has anyone attached a
GPS in and had any luck in an area with a ADB-S system in place? With
all the mid-air accidents, my wife is spooked and I need to tell her
something is going to make it better or safer or smarter or
something. It would be great if the Trigg worked well as a ADB-S
broadcast so we would only have to buy a cheap receiver that would
blue-tooth into my oudie the other aircraft locations. Yes it might
be a dream but I can only hope. Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby. I know its
safe, but multiple deaths in a short period of time does not send the
right message to my significant other. Please fly
safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 10th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I am one of the TRIG dealers so take this as you will......but I've
delivered so far about 40 of these...had only one that had an issue that I
know of and it was a user error that cause the failure..and best of all, it
was simply replaced by our distributor, no questions asked for a brand new
one.....so from what I can see these have been absolutely excellent so
far.....and support have been 1st class...I'm still selling and delivering
them now and have not seen any reason not to continue!
Tim Mara

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5353 (20100809) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5353 (20100809) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old August 10th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 9, 3:07*pm, flyingmr2 wrote:
I read that the Trigg is ADB-S out compliant. *Has anyone attached a
GPS in and had any luck in an area with a ADB-S system in place? *With

A couple of things:

1) Very few aircraft are ADS-B equipped right now. So you might see a
few aircraft if you got some kind of "ADS-B In" system set up; but
just equipping for ADS-B only may *not* show you all of the traffic
out there (I'm unsure if aircraft with Mode C transponders are
detected by standard ADS-B "In" systems).

2) The closest thing to a "universal detector" that is currently on
the market is the powerFLARM system that's just come out. See the
other thread on RAS about this.

Enjoy,

--Noel
Old August 10th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 9, 3:07*pm, flyingmr2 wrote:
I read that the Trigg is ADB-S out compliant. *Has anyone attached a
GPS in and had any luck in an area with a ADB-S system in place? *With
all the mid-air accidents, my wife is spooked and I need to tell her
something is going to make it better or safer or smarter or
something. *It would be great if the Trigg worked well as a ADB-S
broadcast so we would only have to buy a cheap receiver that would
blue-tooth into my oudie the other aircraft locations. *Yes it might
be a dream but I can only hope. *Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! *If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby. *I know its
safe, but multiple deaths in a short period of time does not send the
right message to my significant other. *Please fly
safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trig certainly works as an ADS-B transmitter, the FAA is flying
them for ADS-B survey work. I have not hands-on used one. Places out
West currently lack ADS-B GBT coverage and so are less interest to
play with right now.

What collision scenario are you most worried about? Glider-on-glider,
glider-on-GA or glider-on-airliner or fast jet? Starting with a
transponder gives you great visibility to ATC near crowded airspace
and to those airliner and fast jet TCAS systems.

The "cheap (ADS-B) receiver" you probably want is a PowerFLARM. ~
$US1,695 list may challenge your idea of "cheap" but it is a lot of
technology for the price. All other current ADS-B receivers are at
best only a few hundred dollars cheaper and don't offer near the
capabilities for glider applications (and you get flarm-flarm protocol
support for "free").

Darryl

Old August 10th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/9/2010 7:20 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 9, 3:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

An ADS-B receiver is useless unless you are also transmitting ADS-B out.
If you have both and you are in range of an ADS-B ground station, you
will see all transponder equipped aircraft that are visible on ATC
radar. If you buy an ADS-B IN only receiver, you will not reliably
receive any traffic info from any ground stations.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

On 8/9/2010 5:07 PM, flyingmr2 wrote:
/snip/ Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby./snip/ Please fly
safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One way to fly safe - er, is to avoid being in the vicinity of other
aircraft. Easy for me to say! That might mean no contests?

Brian W

Old August 10th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 9, 3:07 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Reread his read his post carefully. He started with assuming he had a
Trig TT21 with ADS-B out and then was talking about adding an ADS-B
receiver.

Darryl
Old August 10th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/9/2010 9:19 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

On Aug 9, 3:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

The post was asking if anyone was actually using the ADS-B Out
functionality in the Trig. Just because you have this unit installed
and are using it as a Mode S transponder does not mean that you have it
hooked up to a compatible GPS source and have actually turned on the
ADS-B out capability. I suspect that there isn't a single Trig equipped
glider in the US that is actually transmitting an ADS-B out signal today.

--
Mike Schumann
Old August 10th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 8/9/2010 9:19 PM, brian whatcott wrote:
On 8/9/2010 5:07 PM, flyingmr2 wrote:
/snip/ Please, everyone stay safe and no
more crashing! If we have another fatality in the west anytime soon,
my wife might pull the plug on her support for this hobby./snip/
Please fly

One way to fly safe - er, is to avoid being in the vicinity of other
aircraft. Easy for me to say! That might mean no contests?

Brian W

Given the current turmoil with ADS-B vs. Powerflarm, etc....the smartest
investment might not be any avionics at all, but a ballistic recovery chute.

--
Mike Schumann