trailer sway mitigation TSM

Old December 16th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
princiar[_2_]

Default trailer sway mitigation TSM

Anyone has experience towing a trailer with a car with the trailer sway mitigation installed?
Old December 16th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

princiar wrote on 12/16/2019 12:02 PM:
trailer sway mitigation

Are you asking about an electronic system installed in some cars, and do you have
specif car in mind? Or mechanical friction/load distributing devices that connect
to the trailer tongue?

Old December 16th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

If you trailer sways, it has ball loading issues.
Fix the problem not the symptom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
Old December 17th 19, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I've rigged, fitted, towed, and modified a bunch of trailers. These are the things I have done to mitigate trailer sway (in order of effectiveness):

1. Longer trailer tongue. Longer is always better at reducing sway. Unfortunately it also increases trailer overall length, tripping hazard, etc.

2. Mass and CG management for trailer. Move weight out of the tail, but maintain modest tongue weight (~5-10% of trailer mass). A single-seater trailer shouldn't weigh more than about 900 lbs.

3. Stiffer tow car rear springs and shocks.

4. Stiffer tow car rear tires.

5. Stiffer trailer tires.

Things that are generally more trouble than they're worth:

* Supplemental sway dampers--They're a pain in the ass bandaid for other trailer issues, and you can't depend on random crews to rig them properly.

* Tongue weight over 10% of trailer mass--Deteriorates car handling more than it improves trailer handling, and makes your trailer a pain to rig and tow.

* Dual trailer axles--Maybe OK for a two-seater, but generally makes your trailer a pain to handle without a tow car.

--Bob K.
Old December 17th 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Good shocks seemed to have the biggest effect in my experience.
Look out when moving trailer weight forward... Never exceed the maximum tongue weight!
Jim
Old December 17th 19, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

JS wrote on 12/16/2019 4:43 PM:
Good shocks seemed to have the biggest effect in my experience.
Look out when moving trailer weight forward... Never exceed the maximum tongue weight!
Jim

Sometimes, moving weight forward is not easy. An alternative is to move the axle
back a few inches: that effectively lengthens the tongue (as Bob suggested) and
puts more weight on the hitch.

Old December 17th 19, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 6:41:28 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
...These are the things I have done to mitigate trailer sway

Reminds me of when I was a wee glider pilot at MIT Soaring Association.
Instructor: Once, we had a big problem with a trailer swaying.
Dave: So, what did you do?
Instructor: Obviously, we adjusted the center of precussion and moved the axle back.
Dave: So, what happened?
Instructor: It didn't sway anymore, but then the tongue broke off.....

Yup, such was my education.
Couldn't make this stuff up if you tried...
Old December 17th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 2:03:02 PM UTC-6, princiar wrote:
Anyone has experience towing a trailer with a car with the trailer sway mitigation installed?

Reduce the polar moment of inertia of the trailer - remove mass from the back end of the trailer. Here is a really effective video to describe the problem and its solution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW_gzdh6to
You would be surprised how small additions of mass near the back of the trailer can cause big problems.
Old December 17th 19, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 5:41:28 PM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

I would add one more thing high at the top of the list (provided someone is considering the right type of a car for towing): short distance between the rear axle and the trailer hitch, meaning a car with a short back. My Mazda CX-5 is excellent in that respect, never had any issues with swaying, and I have towed my Ventus across the US more than once, including 75 mph through Texas.
Old December 17th 19, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
princiar[_2_]

My question is related to this, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbIsIDtxfI , I tow a doble seeter with single axle and is quite unstable even with all possible weight forward.

Do trailers with coil springs and shock absorbers sway at higher speeds? son_of_flubber Soaring 35 July 8th 14 10:30 PM
Dual axle sway glider[_2_] Soaring 7 March 2nd 10 05:36 AM
US - 2009 explorer - trailer sway control Gary Emerson Soaring 1 October 15th 08 06:27 AM
Attention SkyLune: FAA To Fund Noise-mitigation Measures Larry Dighera Piloting 1 July 8th 06 05:36 PM
trailer sway [email protected] Soaring 14 June 19th 05 09:02 AM